Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another 40 miles behind me...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another 40 miles behind me...
    Posted: 18 June 2018 at 11:46am
Been a long year plus swapping engines, refurbing trans and TC... seriously missed just driving.  The picnic in PA and the NH run largely behind, yesterday I ran over to a buddys house to return some borrowed tools and check out a mid 70s ford bronco he just picked up (and possibly have a tasty beverage, lol).

The weather was gorgeous, the 2A continues to run sweet.  Observationally, I got waves from folks in their driveways, people on boats, thumbs up, honks and beeps the 20 miles over and 20 miles back but the odd thing, I thought, was I got more love from the big badazz biker crowd than from the JK mall crawlers LOL

Coolest part was pulling to a stop light, first on the line, and directly across waiting on the light was a topless redone stocky jeepster, the whole fam out for a cruise.  We exchanged “meep meeps” and waves, the light changed, and we went our seperate ways.  Great day for a drive.

Got home, almost immediately got a text from my daughter asking me if I had been tooling about... it seems the roads have eyes Wink

Edited by mbullism - 18 June 2018 at 11:52am
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2018 at 12:32pm
Cool story.

I have gotten a lot of waves, thumbs up, honks, discussions at every gas station etc.  . .   but never a picture of me, sent back to me.   That is cool.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2018 at 3:51pm
another thumbs up...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2018 at 4:05pm
Hi Mike!!! That's what it's all about!! ClapClap Enjoying the nice day with the windshield down!
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2018 at 4:13pm
Hats off to ya!!  Just remember to stop for fuel. LOL

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2018 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

.... but the odd thing, I thought, was I got more love from the big badazz biker crowd than from the JK mall crawlers LOL ....

Toward the end of the time I owned my CJ5 (~2006), and now whenever I'm in my son's '01 Cherokee, my experience is that the "Jeep" wave (as in between drivers of all Jeeps) has almost entirely disappeared.  I blame that on Jeep for making vehicles that are pleasant to drive!  seriously, before only "enthusiasts" were willing to put up with the on-road issues of driving a Jeep, but now anyone can daily drive one.  (And before anyone flames me for saying older Jeeps have on-road issues, I agree that they are some of the most fun vehicles to drive anywhere, but when it comes to daily driving, while still being fun they aren't always pleasant.  Most people will weight pleasant higher than fun most of the time.)

On the other hand (no pun intended), I continue to see automotive enthusiasts wave at each other.  In my '71 Bronco I exchange waves from older Jeeps.  But lots of other old iron too, Mustangs, Chevelles, 'Cudas, old pickups.  I've even exchanged waves with a guy in an absolutely cherry Chevette!  (You've GOT to be an enthusiast to drive one of those!)

Bikers are enthusiasts, so getting more love from them than JKs doesn't surprise me in the least.  And if I see you I'll wave, no matter what I'm driving!
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2018 at 6:17pm
I get that... I wave to old iron all the time when driving the 2A.  The wave is alive and well out here from mall crawlers when I'm driving my wifes JKU, it's just less noticeable from them when I'm in the 2A.
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2018 at 8:33pm
I also still get and give waves pretty much every time I drive the Willys. Sometimes if I'm preoccupied with shifting or something, I'll look up and see someone wave and think "Do I know that person?" Then I realize they are in a Jeep. Doh!
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2018 at 9:01pm
Jeep wave dying? I get so many waves in the Willys and JK it's almost inconvenient.

About the Cherokee - everyone I know only waves at CJ/Wranglers.

Edited by Nick_ - 18 June 2018 at 9:24pm
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2018 at 1:04am
Originally posted by Nick_ Nick_ wrote:

Jeep wave dying? I get so many waves in the Willys and JK it's almost inconvenient.

This! I drive a JKU every day and it's almost annoying. But i try and wave every time. It's become such a habit that I when I drive the old clunky Diesel, I find myself waving. Only when i get odd looks do I realize I'm in the truck. 

The Willys though - that's another level. Like Mike's experience people wave from porches, driveways, bikes, churches....everywhere. 

Yesterday while test driving, I pulled over to make a quick timing adjustment. I was stopped for no more than 3 minutes. Two cars and one cop pulled up to see if i was okay. Now I've been broken down enough to know that if i was in any other vehicle, I would have starved to death before anyone stopped to see if i was okay. 

They are a unique vehicle....
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2018 at 1:08am
Ha!  You may have stumbled on a way to feed my fam through the next three tuition years...
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2018 at 1:48am
Originally posted by Nick_ Nick_ wrote:

Yeah, I suppose the Cherokee isn't a great barometer.  But early on when I had my CJ5 Cherokees waved at me, and I at them.  But by the mid 2000s almost no Jeeps returned my waves, even the YJ and TJ Wranglers (JKs weren't out yet).  The exceptions were the older CJs, but even they didn't seem to wave first much (as if they didn't expect a return?) but usually did return if I waved first.

Maybe "Minnesota nice" just doesn't translate to the Jeep wave!
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2018 at 4:36pm
The most ambitious waves and thumbs up are from moms and the biker crowd and the dog doesn't hurt the cause either. Bikers will almost always slow down to give me a nod
Phil
oldracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 11:14pm
My 48 is dressed up like an M38 and has all of my sons USMC unit markings on it from all of his Iraq deployments. Going for gas the other day and I passed a platoon of patriot motorcycle riders and each one threw me a salute as they passed. Like to wrecked myself returning salutes, holding a pop in my left hand and the steering wheel as best I could. Loved it!
T. Nick
If it's not broke, work on it till it is!

48 CJ2A #192834 "Grunt"
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2018 at 3:02am
On the east coast of Canada the wave is strong between Jeeps .On Saturday I had my wife with me for a long drive,over 100 Miles and  people with Jeep would wave all the time. I told my wife it was a Jeep thing.Wink
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
 Post Reply Post Reply