Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

another '46 project starting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: another '46 project starting
    Posted: 02 Dec. 2016 at 6:43pm
Hi all -

I've greatly appreciated reading as much as I can get my hands onto on the forums here -- looks like a great great great bunch of folks!  

Back in the 70s I had a high school science teacher with a '46 Willys ... and a F-150 4x4.  He wanted to go to Canada over the summer on a hunting/fishing extravaganza and wanted more cargo space... I (growing up on a farm), had access to tools, scrap metal, an old F-100 pickup....and I WANTED that Jeep!

So, I built him a "matching" trailer for his pickup; I got the jeep.  

On the farm it stayed until my folks finally had to retire...back in the late 90s sometime... since then it has sat in a barn in some form of disrepair (and I don't really know the state it was in before the engine was pulled...).  

I finally have time and (hopefully) resources, so I'm headed west in a couple weeks to fetch my new project..  Here's a couple teaser photos... I'll post more as I go along, I promise!  In the meantime - thanks in advance for all the advice, and many thanks for the time you guys have spent building this forum into a treasure trove of knowledge!!

Jim
(ps - I don't have any pictures of the pickup rig I built - but I matched the trailer to be a clone of his truck - same model bed and the same wheels/tires ... both had camper shell toppers and I painted the trailer to match his truck - it was a sweet rig).

Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2016 at 6:55pm
 Shocked One of the VERY RARE rear-twin-engined CJ2-A's!!  WinkLOL   

Welcome to the page!  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2016 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

as a pilot, that comment is doubly precious to me!!! hilarious!

Jim
Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2016 at 8:41pm
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2016 at 12:07am

Welcome to the madness Jim. Were out west to you have to pickup your project?  Looks like a great Jeep to be. Also noticed that it is Red same as my second 46 I am doing now. I believe they were Harvard Red in 46.

MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2016 at 4:04am
Originally posted by mike in oregon mike in oregon wrote:

Welcome to the madness Jim. Were out west to you have to pickup your project?  Looks like a great Jeep to be. Also noticed that it is Red same as my second 46 I am doing now. I believe they were Harvard Red in 46.

I think I spotted some Pasture Green on his firewall.

Cool Willys. Nice to have a spare power source too.

Hawk
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2016 at 4:33am
You traded a custom-built trailer for THAT? LOL

Seriously - > that was a good trade,  and glad to see you will now get the chance to work on it. 

Hey there neighbor,  you are not too far away.   Maybe we can meet up some day. Smile
Batjac65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batjac65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2016 at 4:41am
So...do you fly a Cessna 195? One of my all-time favorite planes. Welcome and please share pics of the plane.
1946 CJ2A #75375
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2016 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by mike in oregon mike in oregon wrote:

...well, I'm only going as far as Kansas for the rescue ... so not THAT far west!  Big smile

And here's 'Nellie' -- the 1951 Cessna 195 I owned for 10 years (no longer, though..).  
Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2016 at 11:19am

That was a good one Bruce!

Good luck with your project, I hope you have as much fun as I have.
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2016 at 11:34pm
I knew I had this photo somewhere - found it in the album of my Mom's memorial service...that's her driving our pastor's wife around ... probably back in the late 80s or so...

Jim
Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2016 at 12:53am
Well, here's my project update...  I'm 3/4 done with a road trip to KS to retrieve the jeep ... weather has been kind - if a bit on the cold side.  That's not a big deal...UNTIL my truck got broken into Monday night, so all of Tuesday was spent driving with no drivers window ... at "least" it "warmed" up to about 27 deg F.  Thank you Tractor Supply for the overalls and full-face ski mask.  Or getaway car driver kit...take your pick.

Got the jeep loaded Tuesday (pictures attached) and window replaced this morning - much more pleasant driving now.  Home tomorrow night I hope.

Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2016 at 1:09am
What part of Kansas did you go to pick your jeep up?

I hope the break-in of your pickup wasn't in Kansas...

...anyway, it looks like you are on the way to a real project to put it back on the road. I have seen worse, even owned a couple that were much worse. Keep us posted on your project as it progresses with pictures...we love the pictures.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2016 at 2:01am
Howdy

When my folks left the farm in Nebraska, they settled in Lehigh KS (north of Newton)... that's where I recovered the jeep...

yeah, the break-in was technically in Kansas... but to farm boys like us, it wasn't really -- it was Overland Park, so that big mass of people we all call KC... not honest farm folks...

Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2016 at 2:54am
I know where Lehigh is...just a hop, skip, and a jump from Hillsboro. You are right about us farm boys, we don't claim Overland Park or Johnson County to be typical Kansas...sorry you had a problem just the same...

Thank you for your Air Force service and good luck with your project jeep, I'll be watching for developments.

Ed
'46 Willys Jeep
CPO, U.S. Coast Guard (ret)
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2016 at 3:02am
thanks for your service Ed -- 

Hillsboro is the home the best nursing home in the world (Parkside) in my opinion that cared for my parents in their final years..I always will have fond memories of Hillsboro

I'm a born and bred Nebraskan - we don't cotton much to Lincoln (unless its Cornhusker football!) or Omaha usually either...same idea

Jim
Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2016 at 3:59am
Did you ever say that you new Princeton was a lefty? That really is kind of a rare version on the 2a with the spare on the left.

Here's a thread about the short run of leftys.

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/calling-all-leftys_topic16021.html?KW=Calling+all+leftys
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2016 at 4:34am
Stan,
There are a two things that suggest the tire mount was modified/moved to the driver side on this rig.   
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>