Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

another '46 project starting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2016 at 4:40am
Oh oh I have two guess s ..."
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2016 at 4:59am
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

Stan,
There are a two things that suggest the tire mount was modified/moved to the driver side on this rig.   

Told you that you are smarter than me. I can only see one thing at a time so if there is a spare tire hanging on the left I can not see that there are also top bows brackets on that side.   
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2016 at 1:25am
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

Stan,
There are a two things that suggest the tire mount was modified/moved to the driver side on this rig.   

um.... okay, I'm new..   what are the two things?

I will update as I discover more, but on a quick look on the right side, I don't see obvious evidence of a bracket being there before....  too soon to know for sure

Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2016 at 1:26am
Update: from the title, the serial number should be 49852

Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2016 at 1:40am
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Did you ever say that you new Princeton was a lefty? That really is kind of a rare version on the 2a with the spare on the left.

Here's a thread about the short run of leftys.

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/calling-all-leftys_topic16021.html?KW=Calling+all+leftys

smfulle - 
thanks for the link on the Lefty's .. mine sure doesn't fit the year bracket (no pun intended) ... will investigate further.

why do you say 'Princeton' ? 

thanks!

Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2016 at 1:54am
I said Princeton because I can't spell "project" and my auto correct changed it to Princeton and I was so excited about seeing a lefty that I didn't notice the change, just like I didn't notice that you have top bow brackets on the left side of your rig and a true lefty would have them on the right. Feeling even sillier now.    
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2016 at 2:47am
um.... okay, I'm new..   what are the two things?

I will update as I discover more, but on a quick look on the right side, I don't see obvious evidence of a bracket being there before....  too soon to know for sure

Judging by the photo it looks like body filler has been used on the RH rear corner.

The LH spare mount looks to be made from a wheel hub.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2016 at 2:50am
Don't feel silly Stan. I got a little ramped up too, but the top bow brackets slapped me right in the face.

Number 2 is the year. No Leftys in 1946.

Tim
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2016 at 6:44pm
[/QUOTE]

I think I spotted some Pasture Green on his firewall.

Cool Willys. Nice to have a spare power source too.

Hawk[/QUOTE]

Good eye Hawk, underneath the 'orange' paint it definitely started life as Pasture Green... several locations have telltale paint :)
Jim
Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2016 at 7:02pm
Howdy all -
Road trip complete... project is in the garage now Smile  Only casualty was my truck getting broken into, but that's been fixed already.

Yup, y'all have a good eye - the "lefty spare" is obviously a farm-modification out of a wagon wheel or something.  I'll have to learn how the original RH spare mounted. 

I'm happy to report that the body # tag and the serial # tag and the title all have the same matching SN (49852).  Frame # has a plate welded over, so not visible now; don't know if I'll be able to get to it or not.  

Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2017 at 1:59pm
Happy New Year everyone! After the distraction of the holidays is gone I've been able to get back to seeing what I have here.  I've gotten most of the junk cleaned out so, and even found a couple of used 'shop tires' that hold air so it looks like (small) progress. 

Curious if these are parts for the soft top (or something else).  I do have the bows and doors for the soft top that came with the Willys when I first got it back in the 70s...  Or maybe they don't belong with this project?

Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2017 at 2:05am
My guess is a handle for a screw jack.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2017 at 2:16am
Originally posted by Flatfender Ben Flatfender Ben wrote:

My guess is a handle for a screw jack.

Ouch  I KNEW I'd seen that somewhere before, but I couldn't place it! LOL    BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2017 at 11:37pm
Hey folks .. bit by bit I'm getting some work done .. totally still in the disassemble phase.
Taking the roll bars off today (as well as some other parts) and wondered about these tabs -- anyone recognize them as supposed to be there? If so, I'd guess for the soft top?

They are over the rear wheels - one on each side...

thanks in advance,
Jim

Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2017 at 12:24am
No big news here - just posting a picture .. most of the big items removed from the tub (seats, roll bar, junk...).  Starting to pull the grill and then will pull the fenders.  They will require some grinding as the RH one (at least) has been partially welded to the main body.

(I'm always fascinated by the background items in everyone's photos, so leaving my junk in this picture as well ... seems to add to the story sometimes...)

Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2017 at 3:29am
Those brackets somebody added, probably for a soft top just like you said.
Jeep looks good all cleaned out.

I totally agree with you on the interesting background stuff.
Looks like your jeep your snowblower and your ford are almost the same color
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2017 at 4:06am
I was just perusing through your post and what a great project with family history, and yes what a great way to keep your sanity, I refer to the shop as the bar, so I say I am going to the bar its really the shop , its a place that I go to hang out without getting into trouble and the money I spend at the bar is something I get to see and use.
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2022 at 6:44pm
Wow, FIVE years since last report. Ouch.

Let’s, see, job change, move to another state, etc etc.  Got a shop built last year, and moved the Willys in last week!  Ready to start back into it!

Updates to follow…
Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>