Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

another '46 project starting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2022 at 1:39pm
I know. Same here. Five year postponment.
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2023 at 9:09am
Gosh, 2022 did me no favors... I got some (very little) done, but 2023 is starting out better...

What follows is a little bit of a photo dump to catch this thread up.  And some questions after I get photos uploaded.

But first I gotta remember how to put pictures on here - tried, but they aren't really usable so will piddle around with that and report back!
Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2023 at 9:14am
Here's the beginning of the "starting again in NY" edition of the restore...

more to follow!
Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2023 at 7:29pm
So, last year was pretty rough, but in April I was working on getting the steering wheel off...

HOW do I rotate pictures so they aren't sideways????

Well that one loaded with the correct orientation Confused

No way I could get the wheel to budge, so ended up getting a steering wheel puller from Kaiser -- NOTE that it wasn't centered (you'll see) and the holes in the plates were off by about .005" so the threads got pretty roughed up on the puller (nothing a thread chaser won't fix though)

Victory!  Some wear on the splines but I don't think it will be a problem, do you? (I will have to get a new steering wheel -- trashed the original with the chain getting the nut to break free.)

Steering column top was split ... even then I couldn't get it past the top bearing -or get the bearing off, so I decided the tube wasn't that expensive and took out the hacksaw (you'll see the piece I cut off in the background on one of these pictures.)

Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2023 at 10:11pm
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2023 at 10:03am
@bight thanks for the link; I am loading from my computer already, so it doesn't seem like its a phone issue (altho the original was taken with the phone...hmm).  Oh well... thank you 
Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2023 at 7:14pm
Okay, still from last spring, after getting the steering wheel off I went to work on getting the tub off...

A couple pictures to show generally what the tub condition is... "age appropriate" rust and "farm use" dents and dings (and repairs), but it's a keeper!

Now, here's the body lift!

Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2023 at 12:11pm
More progress (Mar-Apr 2022)... steering column and gearbox disassembly.

Next post ... lets look at the sector shaft!

Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2023 at 8:51am
Here's the gearbox cover - looks like the original part number:

Sector shaft looks like the original design - not the one that was failing a few years ago

However, both nubs have excessive wear - will be replacing the sector shaft.

What does the "9.9" stamped on the tips mean?

Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2023 at 8:46pm
Let's have a look now at the steering tube and worm gear - 

tube seems nice and straight from what I can tell - no wobble when I roll it

There is a pretty good groove cut where the top cap rubs I guess -- is this something I can live with?  I'm not sure what it uses for a seal here

What about these worm gear bearings?  The races are worn, so guess I should replace them?  What do you guys see in these pictures?

Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2023 at 9:39pm
  pilot195 said, “What about these worm gear bearings?  The races are worn, so guess I should replace them?  What do you guys see in these pictures?”
  I see a lot of rust. Yes the bearings are shot, the balls and races need to be replaced, but what about the “inner races”? They are part of the shaft as manufactured. That wear on the shaft is from the bearings not holding the shaft centered like they should. Least of your worries. There is no seal in this location. Gravity keeps the lube oil below this level. The grooves of your “worm” are rusted, and will eat the points off of a new pitman shaft in short order. You need everything except the housing. Sorry, but that’s the way it goes. You’re not the first, nor will you be the last. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2023 at 2:00am
Agree, no sense in half assing steering or brakes. 
Life is too short for that

1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2023 at 6:35pm
appreciate the feedback guys!
-Jim
Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2023 at 1:40pm
Here's the what the drag link looked like before taking apart and cleaning up. (It's still in the parts wash so will follow up later.)

Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2023 at 2:03pm
This is interesting...  Sometime a long time ago (I say that because there is no visible "clean" areas or scrubbed areas) the front axle got twisted.  The left side is noticeably a lot further forward than it should be.

Here is the right - note the rubber pad is more-or-less above the axle block.

Now look at the left side - not even close!

You can tell the left side is almost against the shock absorber, too...
Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2023 at 2:10pm
The front crossmember needs some love, cracks on both left and right sides.  The LH was patched but that had cracked, so I ground out the bad area (of the patch) and will dress up the cracks before welding. Comments much appreciated on how best to normalize the metal so it's not too soft (or too brittle) following welding.  

As much work has been done on the front end, I am thinking this must have had a plow on the front some time in the past....

Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2023 at 2:34pm
  Cracks in that area are common, its just one of the things we have to deal with. Snowplows, winches, and ag weights contribute a lot. 
  I would guess that either the spring center bolt (locates the axle housing on the spring) is broken off or the eye on the rear end of the spring is worn off and/or broken off. Are the two front spring shackles at the same angle? With no wear or rubbing showing on the spring where the axle pad would have moved, I’m betting the spring eye is gone. 
BW 

Edited by Bruce W - 23 Mar. 2023 at 2:35pm
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2023 at 6:26pm
Definitely must have been a plow jeep with the sides of the Frame overlayed. 
The front springs are probably close to flat and the shackles are collapsed the Lh is worse which moves the axle forward. 

Edited by Flatfender Ben - 23 Mar. 2023 at 7:02pm
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>