Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another Cherokee (XJ)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2019 at 6:26am
After work today I spent 2 hours replacing some parts. Change the front sway bar end links, probably original. I will need to replace the sway bar bushings as soon as I order some.
 Replaced the clutch and brake pads on the pedals. Both very worn with 275,xxx plus miles on them.

Then I removed the cowl to get to the wiper motor and linkage. This was replaced at least once before, still had the yellow markings from a junkyard. It was from a 1990 Cherokee.  The bushings were bad.
 Cleaned out the CCV tube, the 90 degree fitting in the valve cover and the fitting in the intake manifold. This is a common problem on these motors. The vent tube gets clogged up so it ends up pushing oil onto the air filter.
Lastly I replaced the breather tube to the air filter box. It was cracked.
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2019 at 3:51pm
Went to a Junkyard yesterday and got both front door window regulators. They were in a '90 Cherokee. I get home and start removing everything in the way to access my broken regulator.

Of course the way they mount to the doors are different. Mine are bolted in, the junkyard ones were riveted in. After comparing everything else I decided to just remove the cable/window mount from the junkyard bracket to the stock one.

Cleaned the bracket, greased the cable and it works great. Will be nice to roll the window all the way down now.

I did all that last night. This morning I put the regulator back in the door and it tested it. It is nice rolling the window all the way down! 

The speaker is blown, so before I put the panel back on I will get some cheap replacements. I don't have stereos in my '47 or '74 so this will be spoiling me LOL
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2019 at 3:56pm
Forgot I also picked up a set of used tires and rims yesterday from a Grand Cherokee. Tires are passenger car tires and 215's instead of the 225's I have now (and the stock size) but have a lot of tread left so they will be fine for how I use this Jeep.

I paid less for the four tires and rims then I did for both window regulators.LOLConfused
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2019 at 3:00pm
Sounds like it will make the trip to Fall Creek in style
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2019 at 3:27pm
Both front doors now have operating windows Big smile 

I removed the tailgate panel to look at the wiper motor and to see if there were speakers. No speakers and will need to get a new wiper motor now.
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2019 at 4:24pm
Sounds like you're whipping it into shape!  I will miss my '95 XJ (450K +) as I need to replace my Willys tow vehicle.

What kind of radio do you have?  My stock speakers had paper so it didn't take long before needing to replace them.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2019 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by Rus Curtis Rus Curtis wrote:

Sounds like you're whipping it into shape!  I will miss my '95 XJ (450K +) as I need to replace my Willys tow vehicle.

What kind of radio do you have?  My stock speakers had paper so it didn't take long before needing to replace them.

Previous owner upgraded it to a CD player, not sure what brand it is off hand. Only one of the two stock speakers worked. I just bought some cheap replacement from the auto parts store and I will look for a factory rear speaker bar to put in.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 3:26pm
Over the weekend I managed to:
Bleed the brakes, swap out the tires and rims for the new to me Grand Cherokee ones, new valve cover gasket, plugs, wires cap and rotor. New Air filter to replace the oil soaked one. Replaced some of the breather vent tubes. Also a new transmission mount/ exhaust mount.
 When I removed the valve cover I also did the mod to keep it from blocking up again.

Mileage 275,499

Edited by berettajeep - 06 May 2019 at 11:54pm
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2019 at 6:43pm
Have not done anything to this except drive it. Found a crack in the exhaust manifold ( Not sure if I mentioned that before) Just another thing.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2019 at 9:17pm
Been my daily driver now. Still have not replaced the clutch, but it still works. Last tank of fuel almost got me 500 miles, most of it in town with one trip to Portland and back so I was impressed. Not bad for a 25 year old Jeep with 277,xxx miles on it!
Will be taking this camping when we go to Bend so I am hoping to exceed 500 miles although it will have be carrying a lot more weight this time ( and maybe Jeep parts on the way back )
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2019 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

Have not done anything to this except drive it. Found a crack in the exhaust manifold ( Not sure if I mentioned that before) Just another thing.

Cast exhaust?  They swapped my 95 XJ exhaust out due to defect. 
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2019 at 10:50pm
Seems like they all cracked. First one I had I took off and welded a reinforcing plate what it needed one.

Second one I had I just bought a header....most of the headers for them were stainless and built better (and were cheaper ) than standard manifold.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2019 at 12:24am
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Seems like they all cracked...

Common problem on the 4.0 motors that I've seen. Didn't happen on my '96 though that I had years ago but it also didn't have 277,xxx miles on it I'll end up just replacing with a good used and be done with it. I can't justify the expense of putting a header on it.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2019 at 2:38am
Finding "a good used one" is why I put a header on mine....(my '95 had about 280,000 on it when I was rear ended)

The stock one was replaced about 130,000 or so.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2019 at 12:55am
So Monday morning I get in the Jeep and so does my girlfriends children. I was going to drop them off at school.

Start the Jeep, move roughly 10 feet to the edge of the driveway and wait as traffic drives by. The Jeep dies. Okay, weird. Try to restart and it is just cranking. Crankshaft position sensor went bad. (or Camshaft sensor)

Don't have time to deal with it, as it is about to start raining, so I let my girlfriend know and she drives here kids to school and I nervously drive my '74 Cherokee. I have not driven it on the street in a while and both fuel tank are near empty. I was able to make it to the gas station though.

Of course it has been raining the these last 2 days so I have not fixed it yet.

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2019 at 4:34am
Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

Crankshaft position sensor went bad. (or Camshaft sensor)

One day early last year I drove my '89 YJ (with the MOPAR Performance fuel injection kit) to work.  No trouble, just the usual boring commute.  Time to leave and the engine just cranks and cranks.  No spark, nothing.  "Cam position sensor" in the distributor just died, apparently right there in the parking lot, as I shut it off in the morning.  I guess they just do that.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2019 at 3:09pm
Last night after work I looked over the Jeep. Too much stuff in the way to reach the CPS from the top and it has been pouring rain on and off for a few days straight. No desire to lay on the gravel/dirt driveway to work on this.

Just for fun I tried starting it and it came to life. Let it run a minute or so and shut it off. Did that 4-5 more times and it started and ran. 

The only other time it just shut off by itself was in the first 2 days I owned it. It started right back up then and I thought it was user error.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2019 at 2:33am
Replaced the heater blower motor fan and the resistor earlier.  Both may have been original and with 279,xxx miles on them were not working efficiently or at all. . Took apart and ceaned the blower motor switch as well because the pigtail melted slightly around it. (Common with XJ's) 

Now I need to set aside enough time to replace the clutch and replace the  cracked exhaust manifold. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>