Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another diesel CJ3A build

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cjtdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another diesel CJ3A build
    Posted: 17 Oct. 2020 at 12:59am
Got this CJ3A about a year ago. When I went CJ2/3 shopping, I test drove a M38 with Buick V6 after I test drove this jeep. Owner of the M38 warned me not to fall for V8 equipped CJs because he said while they seem fun, they rob the little jeep of it's character. <Sigh> I wish I had heeded that warning and picked up the M38 instead of this jeep. But this one was so clean and drives so good on the street that I fell for it. It has a Ford 302, Mustang top loader tranny, Dana 18 and Dana25/44 axles. The PO switched it to R&P steering (something that stared me in the face when I crept under to check for leaks but I couldn't even dream of R&P steering in any sort of off-roader). 

After a few weeks of owning and looking more closely at everything - it started to bother me - I didn't like the lift so much at all and combined with the overpowering V8 and hotrod tranny, it just wasn't fun to drive, to me. The R&P steering pretty much guaranteed, that it couldn't leave the tarmac. That is when it started - it had to be rebuilt. Initially, I thought of just re-doing the steering and throwing lockers in the diffs. After some research, it became clear that there is maybe one option of putting a light auto-locker in those old diffs. Before, getting this jeep, I had (and still am), a Toyota person - had a built 1985 pickup and now have a 1997 Land Cruiser that is triple locked and lifted. I started looking into swapping Dana axles in the jeep - the more I researched, the more i got frustrated. Boils down to - upgraded narrow Dana axles are rare (only Wagoneers of certain years and some Isuzu Rodeos) and have limited choice of lockers. I really wanted a selectable lockers like I have in my FJZ80. At this point, I was only thinking of swapping axles and steering. 

Finally, I gave up on the Dana axles and found a pair of narrow Toyota mini truck (pre-IFS) axles that sit 55" wide (compared to 49" width of the stock Dana 25/44). Settled on OE electric locker for front axle and Detroit auto locker in the rear. While the Toyota axles are 3" wider on each side, the -4.5" BS rims will compensate and from where things sit now, it might end up close - with 11.5" wide tires, instead of the current 12.5".

Then we (my friend/mechanic who does pretty much all the wrenching and I) took a closer look at the Ford 302 motor. It runs real good now, even after sitting for months, it starts right away every time. But hangs really low with the oil pan. First, we contemplated options from customizing the pan, all the way to relocating the oil pump. While we still hadn't thought of swapping the motor out, I went ahead and got a Ford NP435 tranny along with a Dana 300 and adapter to mate the two.

Coincidentally, at the same time, my friend was parting out a VW TDI Bug with 89k miles on it. Both of us have been really wanting to put a diesel in one of our trucks, for a long time. At first, I was reluctant to throw away the Ford 302 but finally, the call of the diesel was too strong to resist (and I think I bumped into Seth's build thread that basically told me, it could be done). Other minor reasons I want to do away with the Ford 302 are lift and body mods done to fit the relatively big engine. With a smaller engine, I am hoping I can lose the current front SPOA and all the tiny body shims. 

So now, I have a VW TDI (ALH) motor complete with harness, fuel injection pump and all the donor parts to make it run independently. I have two built Toyota narrow mini truck axles, complete with brand new 4.88 gears - new Detroit locker in rear and front modded with e-locker diff. I have one NP435 and one Dana 300, for this project. And, ended up with another Ford NP435 and a Dana 20 (including adapter) from another project.

Still trying to decide what transmission will fit best. Currently, looking at SM420 since Diesel Conversions from BC, Canada makes an adapter kit for Chevy SBC compatible trannies, along with the Dana 300 (built with 4:1 low gear set). 

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2020 at 2:20am
Looking forward to your build.  Seth's Jeep is awesome.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2020 at 3:13am
Thanks for posting the link to the Pirate site showing the R&P setup. Yikes!
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Cjtdi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cjtdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2020 at 8:34am
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

Thanks for posting the link to the Pirate site showing the R&P setup. Yikes!

Yep, I don’t know how I missed it and kick myself for it, to this day 😅
Cjtdi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cjtdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2020 at 8:40am
Originally posted by bobevans bobevans wrote:

Looking forward to your build.  Seth's Jeep is awesome.

Will be a few weeks while it’s garage sibling gets some TLC 😬

Cjtdi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cjtdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2021 at 12:08am
So, it begins. Tear down starts tomorrow. Last pic in its current form. When it’s done, won’t look very different on the outside except will go back to stock height, stock headlights and different tires. Please let me know if anyone wants stock axles, I am in SF Bay Area. 

Edited by Cjtdi - 11 Nov. 2021 at 12:15am
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2021 at 5:42pm
Oh those lights! 
ALH motor is one the best ever made, with a stage 4 tune, injectors, and a down pipe I was pushing over 150 HP and over 300 ft/lbs of torque. very reliable and fun.
The SM420 is a old trans and very "trucky" shift.  I've swapped a Sm465 and a T18 into jeeps, by far the best was the T18 for weight and ease of working on it etc.  the front can be adapted easily to the GM bell housing on a Buick v6 so if you can get a GM adapter for the ALH it should be pretty doable. 

Or stick with the ford small block bellhousing etc?  This Co. looks like it has lots of options. 

Edited by windyhill - 11 Nov. 2021 at 5:52pm
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
Cjtdi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cjtdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2021 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by windyhill windyhill wrote:

Oh those lights! 
ALH motor is one the best ever made, with a stage 4 tune, injectors, and a down pipe I was pushing over 150 HP and over 300 ft/lbs of torque. very reliable and fun.
The SM420 is a old trans and very "trucky" shift.  I've swapped a Sm465 and a T18 into jeeps, by far the best was the T18 for weight and ease of working on it etc.  the front can be adapted easily to the GM bell housing on a Buick v6 so if you can get a GM adapter for the ALH it should be pretty doable. 

Or stick with the ford small block bellhousing etc?  This Co. looks like it has lots of options. 

Oh yeah, can't fathom what possessed the PO to swap out the lights. 

Did you put an ALH motor in a Willys CJ-2/3/5? With a T18? 

I had a TDI Golf that got upgraded 1019 injectors, if I recall correctly. On the CJ3A, not sure if that's too much power :D I'd actually be happy with stock configuration, maybe add the ECU-only tune. 

I have two rebuilt NP435 (Ford versions) and one used T18. Need to trace the T18's origin - problem with acquiring parts and putting them in the storage :D  

To be honest, my first choice would've been a Toyota mini-truck tranny like the R150/R151 but I doubt that will fit. 
Cjtdi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cjtdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2021 at 12:00am
Tear down started today. Engine/tranny/axles come off tomorrow.

Cjtdi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cjtdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2021 at 1:30am
It’s all torn down now, down to the frame. Undoing all the customization that the PO had done to fit the V8 and R&P steering. The drivetrain plans have drastically changed. I was going to go with NP435/Dana-300 but after speaking with people over at TDConversions and making lots of measurements, looks like we can fit a 5-speed Toyota tranny. So now, I have an entire transmission/t-case from a Toyota T100 - R150F and the chain driven t-case with front passenger side offset to match the Toyota mini truck axles. The rear drive shaft will end up being ~12-13” long but I have read about other builds where the rear DS has been shortened to about a foot. Since the rear diff is centered, a short DS should work alright. 

The biggest component to bring it all together - the TDI to Toyota transmission adapter won’t be here until end of January so meanwhile other boring things will get worked on - like suspension and steering which have to be built from scratch.

Got used YJ springs, new shackle hangers, springs hangers and shackle kit. And Herm is shipping a new Power steering kit. 
Cjtdi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cjtdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2022 at 2:37pm
If anyones following this build, stuck because the frame seems to have been beaten and bent in several places. Looks like we need to junk it. Looking for options on getting a new frame. 
Greyghost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2022 at 4:20pm
it can't be that bad can it??

the jeep looks to "sit"ok, im sure you would be able to straighten or just replace the sections that need it?
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2022 at 12:00am
I should have a good frame in Napa.
Jay
Cjtdi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cjtdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2022 at 1:12am
Originally posted by Greyghost Greyghost wrote:

it can't be that bad can it??

the jeep looks to "sit"ok, im sure you would be able to straighten or just replace the sections that need it?
Unfortunately, the front rails were bent in an almost Z shape and the rear end was also beaten up badly. So it had to go.

Originally posted by chasendeer chasendeer wrote:

I should have a good frame in Napa.
Jay
Thank you so much, really appreciate it. However, coincidentally, I picked up an early CJ5 frame from Placerville just today. The axles are almost built. So now starts some fab work around welding perches, spring/shackle mounts, engine mounts and steering box. I am pretty stoked :D Finally, all the components will start getting put together one by one. 

Post Reply Post Reply