Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another engine knock question.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w12code3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another engine knock question.
    Posted: 21 July 2018 at 2:33pm
I've read a bunch of topics addressing this  issue but thought I would throw this out there, let you guys listen to it, and see what you think.

The Jeep has never knocked before this spring. Over the winter I adjusted the valve lash, reinstalled a PCV system (the old one was plugged off), installed a stock air cleaner system and plumbed the intake-to-dipstick tube hose which had previously beed capped off, istalled  new plugs, wires, cap and rotor, replaced the fuel pump and installed a fuel pressure regulator. New intake and exhaust gaskets. After all that I didn't run the Jeep till this spring. When I did, I got a knock that was never there before.

*The knock doesn't begin till the engine gets warm.
*It seems to go away at RMPs above idle, and returns when the RPMs return to idle.
*Oil pressure is 60 cold, 20 hot at idle rising as high as 60 with increased RPMs.
*Using the screwdriver "stethescope" I am unable to isolate a location for the knock.
*Disconnecting one plug wire are a time has no noticable effect on the knock other than to slow it down as idle RPMs drop with the loss of the cylinder.

Wouldn't a bad main bearing result in a loss of oil pressure? A bad rod bearing continue to knock with an increase in RPMs? What do you guys think? Have a listen in the video below.

'48 CJ2A
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2018 at 2:44pm
With oil pressure that good, I do not believe you have a bearing issue!.... Tim Hawkridge years back had a like issue and found a screw from the butterfly in the carb had fell out and lodged in a piston top, sounded just like that!...

Lee

BTW, I have an F head with the exact same problem, LOL 😂

Edited by Lee (MN) - 21 July 2018 at 2:48pm
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2018 at 3:22pm
It does sound similar...

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2018 at 3:29pm
Sounds valve train related to me.
You could remove the fuel pump and run it.
1947 CJ2A 225V6 SM420 D30 PLok/D44 D/Locker Warn OD 5:38s
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2018 at 3:31pm
Here is the post that documented what I found...

Your knock doesn't sound quite as severe as mine, Could be a chunk of carbon, or some debris that broke free when you replaced the manifold.  Or it could be something else entirely.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2018 at 7:15pm
I have the same thing except my starts at start up and doesn't change with warm up etc.  I got a bore scope to look in through the spark plug holes (I didn't see anything in there that would be causing a problem BTW).  Mine doesn't change with anything.  PLEASE let us know what you find.  I'd love to know what is causing this as mine didn't used to sound like this.
101stairborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 101stairborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2018 at 2:42am
I had kind of a similar knocking in my engine. the head gasket started leaking so I pulled the head off and found a little metal piece of something on top of on of the valves. I think that is what was causing my issue.
1948 Willys CJ-2A
w12code3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w12code3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2018 at 12:57pm
Thanks for the responses guys. I have to admit that had never occurred to me that it might be the pump. I'll remove it, gravity feed the carb to  run it and see if that's what it is. If it's not that, I'll get a head gasket and an oil pan gasket and see if I can't narrow it down.  I've already got the driver side fender off for a pitman arm to steering wheel rebuild of the  steering system so that should make this a little easier. I'll update if I find anything worth mentioning.
'48 CJ2A
 Post Reply Post Reply