Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another new guy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stmtrn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another new guy
    Posted: 29 Jan. 2018 at 1:36am
well the year starts off with another project. Got a 46 cj2a to follow me home. This will be the first cj project for me. Have done some others that turned out ok. The poor thing has been bubba' d a little. Original engine has been replaced by a f head but the previous owner had a l head with it. Why do people always cut holes in the hood?. Oh well, the tub not to bad off and most of the other parts are their.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2018 at 2:45am
Congrats, and welcome!

(...and they cut the hole so the hood'll close, lol)
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2018 at 5:54am
welcome aboard!

1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2018 at 8:44pm
Welcome from Astoria! What part of Oregon are you in? From what I can see it looks like a decent start to a project.

Data--> http://cj-2a.com/parts_list/CJ2A_data.php
Frank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2018 at 12:21am
Welcome from Grants Pass, Oregon

Frank
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2018 at 4:08am
Welcome to the page!  People cut holes in the hood because they don't know about or can't find a short carb to fit.  And apparently, folding down the windshield isn't a priority for them.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2018 at 4:39am
Mine had a hole in hood also for 225 V6,  (and a huge air scoop)    I found a shorter air cleaner,  and welded the hole shut.

Welcome aboard,  and keep us posted on progress. Smile
stmtrn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stmtrn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2018 at 2:50am
started the teardown. The l head engine had some water in a cylinder sot that took a little convincing to get it apart. I think it can be saved. Then got the f head out. Hopefully between the 2 engines i can make 1 good one.
48CJ2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48CJ2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2018 at 3:04pm

Welcome and looking forward to your progress. I grew up in Bend, great town.

Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2018 at 3:04am
Very exciting Brian !

I drug one home in February, and for the time being it is "yard-art."

That little L-block may clean-up better than expected. Those are tough blocks and after refurbishing the one I had back in '84-85 would hum down the freeway at 62mph with 32-inch Armstron Tru-Tracs air'd up, with the 5:38 gears.

It looks like you are getting right after it.

I see very few old Willys on the road down here in Redding, California.

Enjoy !

Len
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2018 at 3:09am
is the hole in the hood because they put in and f-head motor without having the taller hood?
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
EMyers View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMyers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2018 at 3:15am
Originally posted by 1947-cj2a 1947-cj2a wrote:

is the hole in the hood because they put in and f-head motor without having the taller hood?

Yep.
 Shame its cut but as far as holes in hoods go, thats not a bad lookin job!
CJ2A 18450

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/46-cj2a-18450_topic41246_page1.html

stmtrn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stmtrn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2018 at 3:27am
they tried to be neat but there still a hole. Once a little .bit of the bondo was knocked of the hood is rough. My primary focus is going to get the powertrain back together and running. With just some clean up in the cylinder, it looks like it might clean up going .060 over.  To bad the engine got wet, pitted the cam and lifters, messed up the valve stems. Guides seam good. I'll get it down to the machine shop and see what can be done on their end. Thanks for the encouragement. 
stmtrn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stmtrn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2018 at 4:45am
cold weather does have a way of slowing progress . The trans was full of water, oh joy. Found bad signs that the cj has been hit hard on the left frt. Removed a mile of extra wire from under the dash, bubba loves red.
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2018 at 5:44am
The hole in the hood is too easy.  Shorter carbs. are out there.  I have seen them at the FCT with no hole in the hood.
That hole is a small one on your hood should be an easy fix. 
You have a good place to start.  Thanks for saving an old one.    
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
 Post Reply Post Reply