Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Your project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another Original Bantam SN 2524

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmeyerrph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Original Bantam SN 2524
    Posted: 29 Jan. 2009 at 3:59am
Another Original Trailer - SN 2524  - first shots were taken on day of pickup in Ohio
2 wheel autotrailer worked good for this.

Now at home in garage

Completed pics to follow

Edited by dmeyerrph - 31 Jan. 2009 at 4:07am
Dave - Retired LTC USAR
T3-C SN 2524
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sahara
M1 Garand
30-40 Krag

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--O-)_) <
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2009 at 4:08am
Man, That is one sweet and clean trailer, very nice find

I know Arts drulling now LOL

Edited by tony - 29 Jan. 2009 at 4:09am
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2009 at 4:16am

Dave,

As Tony said, I'm drulling.

Was there a plug on the end of that harness?

Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
dmeyerrph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmeyerrph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2009 at 4:17am
Thanks! 

Restored photos

dmeyerrph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmeyerrph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2009 at 4:18am
No - there was no plug - only 2 wires inside the old - almost rotten wire loom - most of it underneath was OK so I just replaced the 2 wire.
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2009 at 5:23am
Nice shape, looks like it wasn't abused like most of them are, the floor isn't all wavy and bent up. Looks real good. 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
trader_reed View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2009 at 7:55am
This trailer has the same coupler casting as the trailer I parted out. It's the only other trailer like it I've seen.

Any comments about why it's different?
Maker of the Reedkini
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2009 at 11:58am
Matt,

Are you referring to the Fulton coupler?

It's the same as I has as well. What others have you seen with the exception of bubba swaps.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
dmeyerrph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmeyerrph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2009 at 2:17pm
Regarding the Fulton coupler.  That is the original coupler that the civilian Bantams came with.  It is 1 and 7/8 inch.  I am just guessing that if someone needs to replace the coupler, it would have been difficult to find an exact replacement, plus they may have moved to a 2 inch coupler.
Thanks
Dave

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--O-)_)

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2009 at 3:16pm
No not the Fulton but the main casting, I've no doubt this trailer is original just different than others

look at the photo below, the red arrow points to the different casting and the blue arrows point to a part that was added so the fulton coupling can be bolted on.

Edited by trader_reed - 29 Jan. 2009 at 3:18pm
Maker of the Reedkini
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2009 at 3:20pm
Please don't say I'm the first to notice this! If so can we name it after me like a comet or star? Wink
Maker of the Reedkini
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2009 at 3:27pm
Oh and the "A" arms or bars are different too, take a close look at this trailer and compare it others. I had one just like it but it had standard cj2a rims and no data tag. I think the chains are a little different also.
Maker of the Reedkini
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2009 at 3:35pm
Matt,
I've seen that style of coupler mount a few times before. In my mind this is the "earlier" style mounting arrangement. Working from photos, it looks like they used a military landing leg casting and used that "U" strap affair to adapt the Fulton to it. From the pictures it appears that they didn't  drill the lunette hole, but maybe I just can't see it. The later castings had the extension cast in so the coupler could bolt directly to it without the "U" strap. At least that's the way I rationalized it. Other details that look early. (and it's not that early with the rear sheet metal panels) are the tongue bars, they have a different shaped boxing plate. ("V" instead of single angle) and the same bars are attached with a "U" strap to the front of the box whereas mine has a single bolt through the channel of the tongue bar and the angle iron on the front of the box. From opinions I've formed on these things, this one almost looks like a "missing link" between the early ones without the sheet metal taillight panels and mine. I think the information gathering is still ongoing. (reminds me of discussions about the 2A when I first joined the page). That is really a nice survivor, Dmeyerrph, you are fortunate indeed. Looks like the only original part you didn't get was the wiring plug. I've since given up finding an Arrow taillight and can't even estimate the time I've spent beating, banging, heating, and shrinking the stretched and bent metal on mine. It's nice to see one that original.

Edit: Looking at the "before" pictures again, I just noticed it has axle bumpers, haven't seen them before. Now I know what the holes in my frame rails are for. Thanks.

Edited by bkreutz - 29 Jan. 2009 at 3:43pm
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
dmeyerrph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmeyerrph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2009 at 3:48pm
Early Civilain Bantams were made from left over WW2 parts.  I think they took a military casting and cut off the lunette coupler.   Mine has a hole in the top and you can see the cutting marks.  I bet later models were cast without the military part so they would not have to cut it off.
Dave

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--O-)_)

dmeyerrph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmeyerrph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2009 at 3:50pm
Once Art gets his Bantam website back up - he is collecting SN and pics.
Dave

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--O-)_)

Roger B View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2009 at 4:49pm
I think Dave is correct about Bantam used the military casting and cut off the lunette coupler. As well as they used the military "safety" chains and hooks on the early ones too.

Roger
1946 CJ2A Serial # 22728 Harvest Tan in parts

1947 CJ2A Serial #101548 Luzon Red Only 16000 km

1947? Bantam T3-C Serial # 20006
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2009 at 5:28pm
Interesting  pics.. I hope you traced that BANTAM lettering on the rear....The combat rims are an interesting feature as well, more WWII parts reused..
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

dmeyerrph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmeyerrph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2009 at 6:35pm
Yes I did - I had a decal made - I think someone on the g503 1/4 trailer forum made them and I bought one from them.
Mine was block lettering - the later Bantams were italicized.

Here is the thread from the g

Dave - Retired LTC USAR
T3-C SN 2524
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sahara
M1 Garand
30-40 Krag

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--O-)_) <
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>