Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Your project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another Original Bantam SN 2524

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2009 at 8:36am
Dave's trailer isn't that early! I knew they used leftover parts but I didn't know they cut off the lunette mount but it makes perfect sense. I don't think every early trailer had a casting like this so they must have gotten a batch during production.
Maker of the Reedkini
Jonesy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2009 at 3:57am
Interesting that this one looks like it has Ford GPW springs. Mine has the Willys type springs. Something else to catalog?

Jonesy

1951 CJ3A

1948 Willys Pickup

1954 Willys Pickup

1947 Bantam BT3-C Trailer
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2009 at 4:01am
I think the more we talk about these, and the more information that surfaces, the picture and timeline may become clearer, kind of like with the discussions about the 2A. The unfortunate thing is that there are not "Parts Catalogs" or "Maintenance Manuals". (at least not that I've heard of). 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
Doug Timme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Timme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2009 at 4:58am
If you look at the trailers in this post, they are different than mine. The plate that boxes the tongue where it goes under the tub by the wiring harness in this picture has a  > shape cut out of it.  Mine has diagonal slash cut /  Has anyone else ever noticed this?
Doug

Originally posted by trader_reed trader_reed wrote:

No not the Fulton but the main casting, I've no doubt this trailer is original just different than others

look at the photo below, the red arrow points to the different casting and the blue arrows point to a part that was added so the fulton coupling can be bolted on.

bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2009 at 6:17am
Doug,
I've seen the boxing plate both ways, mine has the diagonal cut like you described, but I've seen pictures of other early ones with the > plate. I've also seen pictures of postwar military trailers with the same detail. Looking at the pictures on Art's T3-C page, the earliest tongue bar with the diagonal boxing plate is 9466, and every picture of earlier numbers that the tongue bar is visible (or not replaced entirely with a modern piece) has the > plate. Also it appears that the earliest picture on Art's page that has the newer landing leg casting is 12044, all the pictures before this number have the "U" strap to attach the coupler, and from this number on, the coupler bolts directly to the casting. As more numbers and pictures are collected, the actual changeover can be more accurately determined. (notice I said nothing about dates, that's going to be a lot tougher)  This is informative stuff, maybe we'll eventually figure it out.LOL (or maybe not)

Edited by bkreutz - 31 Jan. 2009 at 6:39am
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
andysjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andysjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2009 at 12:29am

I was just looking for pictures of the Fulton hitch connection when I ran across this post.  When I ground off all the welds on mine today, the lunette did not have the protrusion for the hitch.

It looks cut off like this one.  I will post pics tomorrow.

Andy
TN
Andy
TN
46, 2A #24007
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12