Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another Project? VW Beetle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2020 at 3:07pm
Sweet!
Even if you cannot "un-freeze" it you can always buy or make a stand and display your original paint, un-molested original "RUDE". Here is an original 1950s motor stand on E-Pay right now. #352878868790, although the shipping is a bit crazy!

These boat motors have become a collectible " man-cave or camp", display item up here in the Adirondacks.
1945 CJ2A #10536
1948 CJ2A #176528 "Elmer"
1948 CJ2A #155970 "Gray Mule"
1948 CJ2A #155365 "Old Yeller" (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856
IRQVET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2020 at 12:29am
Being a recovering "VW guy" and can tell its a 1971 or 1972 model. Those tail lights were only put on between 1968- 1972, then they changed to that ugly round style found on the 1973's on till 1979. And that black vent behind the side window was introoduced in 1971 and later models I believe. 

Thing to check for is the front apron. If you see the vertical venting underneth the bumper than its a Super Beattle; if not, its just a Beattle. 

Beattles used to command more resell value than the Super Beattle, if that matters to you. In my opinion getting any collector vehicle directly for a family member is super cool and I'm envious. Thumbs Up

I might get slammed for saying this, but owning a Willys and a VW is very simular (hear me out). They develop rust in the same areas, they are a very primative vehicle, parts are cheap, their easy to work on, and they will nickle and dime you to death, lol. 

Personally, I love them both . . . LOL
Dean
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
49' CJ2A w/ GPA Engine #8924
67 CJ5 (Sold)
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2020 at 7:28am
Originally posted by IRQVET IRQVET wrote:

Being a recovering "VW guy" and can tell its a 1971 or 1972 model. Those tail lights were only put on between 1968- 1972, then they changed to that ugly round style found on the 1973's on till 1979. And that black vent behind the side window was introoduced in 1971 and later models I believe. 

Thing to check for is the front apron. If you see the vertical venting underneth the bumper than its a Super Beattle; if not, its just a Beattle. 

Beattles used to command more resell value than the Super Beattle, if that matters to you. In my opinion getting any collector vehicle directly for a family member is super cool and I'm envious. Thumbs Up

I might get slammed for saying this, but owning a Willys and a VW is very simular (hear me out). They develop rust in the same areas, they are a very primative vehicle, parts are cheap, their easy to work on, and they will nickle and dime you to death, lol. 

Personally, I love them both . . . LOL

I am not recovering I like the VWs too much for that.

If you get slammed for the last paragraph, you have some company in me! I agree with the comparison completely.
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2020 at 1:15pm
Thanks Greg, that stand is awesome! That would be a perfect display piece.. I will be keeping my eye out for one, now that I know they exist.. Thank you Dean and cpt for the information Smile Progress was slowed when the bug was completely blocked in by furniture from a family member moving. I'm happy to note the project is still alive though Big smile I did find the idiot guide inside the trunk!!

Engine #

It took about two weeks, but she freed up... The cylinder walls looked good, changed the gear oil, cleaned the carb, took it as far as could without spending any money. I have some white rust/sludge in the gas tank I need to remove before starting but she is ready to go... I would like to purchase new coils and condensers. All cleaned up:

- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2020 at 8:39pm
The VWs engine serial number should IIRC, make it a 1971 or 72. I am not near my "Idiot book" or I would look it up, but you could look it up in yours.

If the engine has a dual port intake manifold & heads, it is likely a super beetle engine. The intake manifold would be a three piece unit as opposed to a single unit. All this being said, the most replaced  major part on almost all air-cooled VWs is the engine. Heck, I had a Porsche engine in my 1964 VW Baja at one time.  

I love where you are going with the Evinrude engine. Good job!

Thanks for keeping us "in the loop" as they say.
Roadmap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roadmap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2020 at 11:02pm
AE prefix on the VW engine is 1971 or 72 1600 cc with 60 horses. 
The 3 digit in the chassis number will give you the year. 
1971 had 2 sets of louvers on the rear hood while 1972 had 4 sets.

I too have a history with the air cooled VW'sBig smile 

I agree it is the simplicity of both my jeep and the VW that I appreciate.

42rocker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2020 at 4:02am
This is a great thread. Thanks. Have a Super Beatle to work on after I get the new Jeep project to a Happy place. 
Thanks Again. Good Luck and please keep on a posting.

Stay Safe

Later 42rocker
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2021 at 5:00pm
This little bugger has been taking up much of my free time, therefore, I thought I would share some progress.... Basic maintenance is done; timing, valve adjust, oil, grease, brakes, light bulbs, horn etc... After some research, I decided to install a fuel pressure regulator on my new China fuel pump.... It was pushing out almost 12psi out of the box (Beware guys) Confused I'm now down to 2 1/2psi. Added some cheap SS trim and little goodies here and there.. I would like to get some running boards, roof rack and exterior sun visor, but I need to concentrate on function first LOL I was looking on ebay for giggles at vintage 1970's luggage to store on the roof rack, thought that might look cool.. There is one thing I love about this little bug and that is what I love about our old WILLYS..... ACCESSORIES! 

It's still a work in progress but I'm heading to DMV on Friday to make it legal!

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2021 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by ggordon49 ggordon49 wrote:

This little bugger has been taking up much of my free time...

Caught the bug, didja? LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2021 at 8:49am
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Originally posted by ggordon49 ggordon49 wrote:

This little bugger has been taking up much of my free time...

Caught the bug, didja? LOL

LOL! I'm afraid I may have Shocked
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2021 at 11:22am
I'm so blessed to be able to purchase my wife's dream car for her 40th birthday! (I love it too Wink). It's a 1975 245 DL Volvo, one owner, all original survivor.... NO RUST!!!!! My wife is really happy and now we both have something we can enjoy together! And all three kids and dog can fit too LOL 

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2021 at 11:35am
Wow! That was the year I finished high school.....and that's been a minute or two ago. LOL

That thing is CLEAN ! Nice score. Thumbs Up

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2021 at 12:11pm
Please don't take this the wrong way, ya gotta love a survivor Thumbs Up

...she could pick anything as a favorite, but your wife's "dream car" is a 45yo 4 door 4 cyl import wagon... in avacado green...

That about right? LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2021 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Please don't take this the wrong way, ya gotta love a survivor Thumbs Up

...she could pick anything as a favorite, but your wife's "dream car" is a 45yo 4 door 4 cyl import wagon... in avacado green...

That about right? LOL

Yup! LOL She is NOT a car person at all... It's actually very strange that she loves this car??? She said when she was a child her neighbor had one and always wanted one... The car is Soooooo underpowered but it's perfect for her. I prefer puke green? bugger green? diarrhea green? LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12