Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another Willys is Alive!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konstan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Willys is Alive!
    Posted: 11 Aug. 2018 at 4:39am
Got her started today!

Backstory: 

- been working on it for about 2 years
- engine bored and sleeved to .040, crank ground, assembled myself
- last month I finally finished rebuilding the transmission and the transfer case
- pretty much everything has been disassembled to the last nut and bolt :)
- filled her with oil, tx oil
- hooked up battery negative to ground, positive to switch, switch to starter, also positive to ignition coil and coil to distributor
- no fuel tank, so, runs only on what I put in the carburetor (and that does not seem to go very far)

EMyers View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMyers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2018 at 4:57am
Nice job! 
CJ2A 18450

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/46-cj2a-18450_topic41246_page1.html

JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2018 at 6:40am
Nice job! 

I notice you are running without the radiator installed = no cooling! 

Not advisable... the heat buildup from combustion is very quick. It's a great way to crack your block, warp your head and the block deck! 
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
konstan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konstan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2018 at 6:57am
Only ran it like this for the duration of time of the video. Next step, I am going to set up the cooling system. Just wanted to see if it starts.

And yeah I was actually quite amazed at how quickly the head warmed up... 

Next week I am going to hook up all the cooling and then connect a temporary fuel tank.

Edited by konstan - 11 Aug. 2018 at 7:00am
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2018 at 1:03pm
Do you have a new cam? If so you want to break it in at like 2000 rpm for 20 min right off the bat. Make sure your using a High zinc content break in oil as well.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2018 at 1:19pm
They're so cute when they're young again Clap
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
konstan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konstan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2018 at 4:11pm
Old camshaft but I put in a pint of Lucas zinc stuff "just in case".

Once I hook up the cooling I will be able to shift through the gears and watch the output yokes move...
srlbotanical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2018 at 7:37pm
nice Job!
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2018 at 7:07pm
Thumbs up!Thumbs Up 
1946 CJ2A 14098
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2018 at 8:42pm
first start can be sooo rewarding! Mine fired right up and ran nicely. I was stoked.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
konstan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konstan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2018 at 2:27am
today I cleaned, primed and painted the fan and cleaned/primed the radiator. Running out of daylight :)

For now, not overhauling the radiator. Just kinda hoping it works. I will pressure test it once it is hooked up. If it leaks I will have it overhauled...

I am also going to hook up a fuel line from pump to carb and feed the pump from a temp tank... pics incoming!
konstan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konstan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2018 at 5:37am
Hooked up a temp fuel tank, radiator and hoses, etc.

Motor starts and runs, so, looks like the fuel pump is working.

Has to run at mid to high RPM, so, looks like there is an idle issue.

Oil pressure stays at about 40 psi (but again, will probably be lower once I figure out how to low idle).

I didn't use the metering needle tool when rebuilding the carb last week. I'm thinking it's time to order and use one... I can't think what else it could be. The idle jet and the mixture needle have been cleaned with compressed air. 

Edited by konstan - 16 Aug. 2018 at 7:13am
 Post Reply Post Reply