Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Antisieze

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2021 at 4:29pm
I've never heard of not using it on lugnuts.....one of my favorite places to use it.

Also the previously mentioned places....spark plugs, steering splines, etc.

I use the silver and I don't goop it on.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2021 at 4:54pm
I'm very surprised there isn't a debate on whether spray vs brush is better...

I use 14 ounce spray cans, the copper for up to 1800 deg F, and Nickel for up to 2200 deg F.
The label states that applications include Bolts, bushings, cam rollers, centers, slow moving bearings, compressors, conveyors, couplies, dies, drills, fittings, gears, generators, keyways, motors, nuts, packings, press fits, pumps, shafts. sleeves, slides, taps, turbines, valves, wristpins.

Coat both surfaces, let dry 2 minutes...

As far as spark plugs, I use it on Jeeps and aluminum heads, but most spark plug companies have bulletins that say NO.

I used permatex anti-seize on lug studs for many years. At least until GM published Tech Bulletins Forbidding it...

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2021 at 6:17pm
  As a young apprentice technician at the GM training center in 1969, I was told to NEVER put ANY KIND of lubricant or anything else on wheel lug studs or nuts. So I never have. 
  I’ve always wondered about spark plugs. They collect a lot of heat, and need to shed it to the cylinder head to survive. Will anti-seize prevent that? Is one kind better or worse than another?
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2021 at 8:32pm
That is a question I never thought about. I don't see how it would prevent heat transfer, but there are a lot of things I don't know. I used it on Jeep spark plugs in all the Jeeps I had over the years, never suspected any problem from it. I mainly used it due to the spark plug wells on an inline flathead engine having a tendency to collect water when driving in the rain. Used it many years ago on the old straight 8s in the Pontiacs I had.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Sugarloaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarloaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2021 at 1:11am
I’ve always used antisieze on spark plugs of any kind. Brake adjusters too. Clevis and cotter pin holes to on clutch bell cranks and brake pivots. 
I always used it on lug nuts/studs until I was chastised recently by a long time mechanic friend. Why? I don’t know. He never had an experience with a wheel coming off either. I think I will be going back to it on my stuff but maybe not on a customers. 
Couple things in my experience is TefGel works much better on stainless to prevent galling. But is is viscous enough to make nuts not want to spin on with one finger. But they can soak in salt water for a year and still come apart. 
Also, Antisieze stains flat paint permanently. Be careful around olive drab!!!
Easy Does It.
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2021 at 2:54am
I use the copper stuff on everything that doesn't need some kind of Loc-Tite, but not on lug nuts.  I put it on my Grand Cherokee's enclosed lug nuts and it lost a wheel at speed while my son was driving.  Not Good.  He didn't wreck, but the wheel bounced into opposing traffic, luckily missing and oncoming car.  He was too young and inexperienced to pay attention to the wobble before the tire let go, but just thinking about what could have happened still gives me the chills 15 years later.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2021 at 3:19am

I was introduced to anti-seize compound in the mid 60's working on jet engines while in the USAF and have been using it for everything exposed to moisture or heat since that time.  I hate beating wheels off of GM vehicles and only do it once before cleaning them up and coating them with anti-seize.
  A little bit of it goes a long way so a container of it lasts a long time and does dry out and gets thick. I use paint thinner to thin it back when it does.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Craig1017 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig1017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2021 at 4:28am
Me, five minutes after opening a can of anti-seize
Silver Mime Street Performer High Resolution Stock Photography and Images -  Alamy
TMRoper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMRoper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2021 at 12:23pm
How much does anti seize affect torque values?
srlbotanical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2021 at 2:06pm
Permatex for me as well. This is the stuff if anyone is unclear: 

If it doesn't get threadloc, it gets antiseize as a general rule.

One addition: I like to store the bottle up-side-down on the shelf. It seems to keep it from separating as much. Before I open it each time, I just give it a couple quick raps on the bench to knock the paste back to the bottom of the jar. 
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
Sugarloaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarloaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2021 at 2:15pm
How about on taper fitting??? Tie rod ends, ball joints etc?? 
Easy Does It.
willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2021 at 3:10pm
craig1017.... luv it!! I have always said you can get the damn stuff on you just by ordering it on the phone.
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2021 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by Sugarloaf Sugarloaf wrote:

How about on taper fitting??? Tie rod ends, ball joints etc?? 

I use it especially on those including rear axle shafts.

As has been hinted at, if Anti-seize is used on spark plugs in aluminium heads, it must be a small dab on the threads only. Otherwise the heat from the combustion will cause it to cure into a hard, aluminium gouging blob. So if you use it on those spark plugs be very sparing about it. I do use it but I only use the high temp copper stuff on this application.

I am speaking from experience here. An aircraft engine's head is one with it's cylinder. Fixing the damaged threads can be a wee bit expensive as one has to use the FAA approved thread repair insert. Or if severely damaged, the cylinder is sent to a FAA approved cylinder repair shop for an approved welding repair, very costly.

As far as cast iron & steel heads, the threads can still be damaged from the hard, steel gouging blob. This is a fairly easy thing to fix with an insert in both steel & cast iron.

I once had a Dodge 440 that the owner had used Anti-seize on the spark plug threads. He was sure that if a little is good, a lot is better. This was a BUILT engine & he could not get the spark plugs out. Luckily he stopped before he damaged anything, but we had to pull the heads for the repair. Our local machine shop milled the spark plugs out of the head. It was an expensive lesson. Yet the heads were fine without any repairs.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2021 at 6:57pm
In every place I use it I NEVER have a glob of it....I apply it straight from the tube coating the threads then take a finger and wipe of the threads essentially just leaving enough to fill the valleys....(then clean that finger promptly)    Seems to cut down on the mess somewhat.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2021 at 2:55am
I apply Antiseize liberally on Jeeps.

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2021 at 3:52am
Here’s my oldest can of it dated 1968.

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2021 at 2:11pm
That old steel can brings back some memories. I remember being so annoyed when antiseize changed the can from steel to plastic. Just didn't seem right to me.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2021 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

I apply Antiseize liberally on Jeeps.

Now that is truly funny!! Can't stop laughing at that one. LOLLOL
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>