Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Antisieze

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2021 at 6:01pm
They changed the can to plastic?
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2021 at 7:21pm
They had to. Certain Millenials couldn't get the cap off. Something about needing to add something to the label about applying antiseize sparingly around the cap? My guess was they never heard about righty tighty lefty loosy?
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2021 at 7:38pm
When I first get Jeep projects, the lug nuts are a crap shoot to get the nuts off without twisting off a stud. I've used antiseize on all and always will. Some rigs were bad enough it was a must to get the nuts back on. Confused
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Long_Range View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Long_Range Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2021 at 5:07am
I was out with friends in the desert and a Chevy Blazer had a flat (mid 1990s). We ruined the lug wrench getting that wheel off but we did succeed.
Since then I always use anti-seize on my lug nuts and have never had nor heard of a problem. I do torque to spec.

Bill

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2021 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

They had to. Certain Millenials couldn't get the cap off. Something about needing to add something to the label about applying antiseize sparingly around the cap? My guess was they never heard about righty tighty lefty loosy?

Joe,

I about fell out of my chair I laughed so hard when I read that. It does seem that certain Millenials need help with a lot of things. 

Warning labels all over everything, a multitude of complex and bothersome safety devices. 

I know better than to pour gasoline on a hot running engine, and I know how to keep from overflowing the gas tank on my tractor. I had to go to an antique store to find a gas can that doesn't have a some kind of safety device on the spout to keep me from pouring gasoline on an open flame.  

For a while I wondered why they made my push mower shut off any time I let go of the handle, and fixed it so I had to stand behind the mower with one hand clamping down a lever, and the other pulling a rope. I wondered why I could no longer adjust the speed of the mower. I wondered why they thought it important to paste warnings all over it telling me not to put my feet or hands underneath. 

Then I read about some idiot successfully suing a manufacturer when he got hurt while trying to cut his hedge with a push mower held in his arms. I guess he never heard about hedge clippers. 

I am not sure these warnings and devices are for my protection.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Barry S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2021 at 12:37am
I love the pic of the silver man!  I have that problem with pipe dope and never seize - all I have to do is loosen the cap and I find it inside my ears, socks and underwear!  That stuff sure does travel!

-Barry
1947 CJ2A 93664 "Grasshopper"
1947 CJ2A 90729
194? CJ2A 04893/194304
1946 CJ2A 46745
1946 CJ2A 36723
1945 MB   413665
1971 CJ5 8305017 375392 Drive train parts donor
Bantam Trailer T3-C 25487
jaksjep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaksjep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2021 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

Joe,

I about fell out of my chair I laughed so hard when I read that. It does seem that certain Millenials need help with a lot of things. 

Warning labels all over everything, a multitude of complex and bothersome safety devices. 

I know better than to pour gasoline on a hot running engine, and I know how to keep from overflowing the gas tank on my tractor. I had to go to an antique store to find a gas can that doesn't have a some kind of safety device on the spout to keep me from pouring gasoline on an open flame.  

For a while I wondered why they made my push mower shut off any time I let go of the handle, and fixed it so I had to stand behind the mower with one hand clamping down a lever, and the other pulling a rope. I wondered why I could no longer adjust the speed of the mower. I wondered why they thought it important to paste warnings all over it telling me not to put my feet or hands underneath. 

Then I read about some idiot successfully suing a manufacturer when he got hurt while trying to cut his hedge with a push mower held in his arms. I guess he never heard about hedge clippers. 

I am not sure these warnings and devices are for my protection.

I just read your signature line and it reminded me of what my Dad told me about 50 years ago when he was teaching me to drive off road in his '47 CJ2A.

"If you can't get there in low range, 1st gear... Park, get your ass out and walk!"
My posts are my personal opinion and are not legal advice as I am not an attorney. If you act on any of my comments you do so at your own risk.
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2021 at 11:00pm
I'm just glad I don't live in California, 'cause most every chemical I use, probably anti sieze too, label says it is known to cause cancer in CaliforniaDeadAngryLOL
BOULDER 48 2A
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2021 at 11:47pm
I'm going to do my best to reduce my negative comments regarding Millennials, even though I was careful to say "certain" Millennials.

I was approached by a young man yesterday that saw me working on the Jeep, and he came over to ask me for advice on replacing a rocker Arm on his wife's minivan.
I explained that I was not a mechanic, but I had a few tools with me.

Long story short, we pulled the valve covers off the 3.6 liter VVT V6, after being stalled by discussions about the mistakes in the manuals with small details like 'remove cam sensors before prying the heck out of the cover and cracking them'. The first few times I asked him to take a second look for hidden bolts and clips, he tried to rush ahead. After a sigh of relief that we were able to get it apart without breaking anything expensive, THEN he told me the dealer charged him $4000 to replace al 4 Cams and rockers 20,000 miles ago. After not finding anything wrong with the forward bank, we moved on to the rear bank. I saw a minor amount of metal 'powder' next to one lobe. The rocker on the left was the bad one.

We got it all zipped up, changed the oil, tested it, and the noise was gone.

He really was not chatty, seemed to accept my differing viewpoint, but clearly needed help.
Up till this point, I'd met very few Millennials that wanted to listen or learn.

That's when I learned he was not just any Millennial. He was a Sailor on leave from the Destroyer he was serving on. He was very  polite and business like because he needed his wife's van fixed before he shipped out again.

So maybe too many times the term "Millennials" is used in a derogatory manner. I met at least one decent one this week.

His wife made us a nice dinner as a bonus. 

Edited by Joe Friday - 08 Feb. 2021 at 11:58pm
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2021 at 12:09am
Originally posted by TERRY TERRY wrote:

I'm just glad I don't live in California, 'cause most every chemical I use, probably anti sieze too, label says it is known to cause cancer in CaliforniaDeadAngryLOL

It seems as if just about everything “is known to cause cancer in laboratory rats in California“. I think the real problem is - yes, California itself!    Here’s yer sign.....
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2021 at 12:21am
Joe Friday said:

"I'm going to do my best to reduce my negative comments regarding Millennials, even though I was careful to say "certain" Millennials.

I was approached by a young man yesterday that saw me working on the Jeep, and he came over to ask me for advice on replacing a rocker Arm on his wife's minivan.
I explained that I was not a mechanic, but I had a few tools with me.

Long story short, we pulled the valve covers off the 3.6 liter VVT V6, after being stalled by discussions about the mistakes in the manuals with small details like 'remove cam sensors before prying the heck out of the cover and cracking them'. The first few times I asked him to take a second look for hidden bolts and clips, he tried to rush ahead. After a sigh of relief that we were able to get it apart without breaking anything expensive, THEN he told me the dealer charged him $4000 to replace al 4 Cams and rockers 20,000 miles ago. After not finding anything wrong with the forward bank, we moved on to the rear bank. I saw a minor amount of metal 'powder' next to one lobe. The rocker on the left was the bad one.

We got it all zipped up, changed the oil, tested it, and the noise was gone.

He really was not chatty, seemed to accept my differing viewpoint, but clearly needed help.
Up till this point, I'd met very few Millennials that wanted to listen or learn.

That's when I learned he was not just any Millennial. He was a Sailor on leave from the Destroyer he was serving on. He was very polite and business like because he needed his wife's van fixed before he shipped out again.

So maybe too many times the term "Millennials" is used in a derogatory manner. I met at least one decent one this week.

His wife made us a nice dinner as a bonus."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Even Millennials serve. A certain percent would have to because the defense of our nation is a young man's game and someone will have to do it. It has always fallen to the young to fight our battles. Anyone older than 30 was thought of as an old man back in the day and I'm sure it is the same today. I wonder what the kids in my brother's National Guard Military Police company thought of him at 56 when the company deployed to Iraq a few years ago?

I look at old photographs of me and my buddies during the time we served in Vietnam and I honestly don't remember us looking that young. All of us were 18-20 years old at the time. How time flys when you are having fun...it doesn't seem that long ago, yet in other ways it was a lifetime ago. Looking at my Army unit's reunion pictures I wonder who all those old farts are...that couldn't be us! The truth be known, some of us aren't in very good shape anymore...most of us will be gone in 10 years...

Proud to have served...

Nothing wrong with the young folks of today that a little experience would help them along the path of life.

Didn't mean to highjack anyone's thread...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2021 at 12:24am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Originally posted by TERRY TERRY wrote:

It seems as if just about everything “is known to cause cancer in laboratory rats in California“. I think the real problem is - yes, California itself!    Here’s yer sign.....
BW 
As long as they keep it "in California" what's the problem? (no offense intended for golden state jeepers)
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2021 at 1:15am
I don't think all those fine printed warnings and safety gadgets on everything have anything to do with Millenials. Who reads the owners manual for the ladder or lawnmower or can-opener anyway? Nobody. Not me, not you. Unless it's a last resort anyway. LOL

I blame it on lawyers. They write the law, then they create a bureaucracy to enforce it, and then we make sure that law schools churn out more lawyers every year in this country than the next 50 country's on the planet --- combined. I learned a long time ago there's nothing that one lawyer can do that another one can't un-do. Usually boils down to "how much money ya got?" And we help by voting them into office every election. It's in their best interest to keep people suing each other over the most stupid things. Why is anybody surprised at fine print warnings and goofy safety gadgets? Not me.

I think the kids today are every bit as smart as we were then, maybe even smarter. Look at all the b.s. they deal with. I just hope they're not smart enough to figure out it was us who did this to them....better not be too hard on them. 

Antiseize has a place, but never on lug-nut studs is what I learned. Wish I could find the book that says so. If you put the nut on and you can't get it off you might need to man up some. Wink Or start using a torque wrench.

Edited by Ron D - 09 Feb. 2021 at 1:33am
1951 M38
1951 M100
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2021 at 1:26am

What I have found is that with some (like any generation, I guess) cases it happens to be a learned trait from home or more accurately the parent or parents.....'kids raising kids'.

Often but not always.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2021 at 2:14am
1951 M38
1951 M100
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2021 at 3:03am
Whatever state you are in, if you eat enough of anything it may give you cancer, and though I have never been to California, but it is a big state with lots of people. Perhaps they have a problem with folks eating things they should not eat, so need a lot of instructions and warnings labels on everything. Just saying..... 

A tube of Permatex could be confused with toothpaste.

Why my first wife once started brushing her teeth with Preparation H one morning, and her mother, who never learned to read, once walked into the kitchen complaining "This new hairspray I bought smells real good but it don't hold worth a darn". It was Lysol.

So, some folks do need big bright warning labels, some don't, and some folks wouldn't benefit from them anyway.

$4,000 for changing a set of rocker arms??? I am in the wrong line of work.

Edited by Oldpappy - 09 Feb. 2021 at 3:05am
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2021 at 11:35am
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

Whatever state you are in, if you eat enough of anything it may give you cancer, and though I have never been to California, but it is a big state with lots of people. Perhaps they have a problem with folks eating things they should not eat, so need a lot of instructions and warnings labels on everything. Just saying..... 

A tube of Permatex could be confused with toothpaste.

Why my first wife once started brushing her teeth with Preparation H one morning, and her mother, who never learned to read, once walked into the kitchen complaining "This new hairspray I bought smells real good but it don't hold worth a darn". It was Lysol.

So, some folks do need big bright warning labels, some don't, and some folks wouldn't benefit from them anyway.

$4,000 for changing a set of rocker arms??? I am in the wrong line of work.

Bolding mine.

While some dealerships are way too greedy, keep in mind that they, like any shop, have to pay the lawyers as well. Since they are "The Dealership", they are also more liable, thus more likely to be sued. Hence the higher flat rate.

Like any shop, it is a crap shoot for the average vehicle owner to find an honest one. IME, A crap shoot is a better bet. In this area, I have yet to find any dealership that I would recommend. There is one near here that I have some hope for, but my research is incomplete.

There are only a handful of local independent shops that I can recommend. Many are just plain incompetent, but some are simply crooks. I could give lots of examples, but it is late so I will not.

SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2021 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Ron D Ron D wrote:

https://www.permatex.com/faqwd/permatex-suggest-applying-anti-seize-lubricate-lug-nuts-installing-tightening-nuts/

Well, there you go , folks! Now you know...Permatex's lawyers have spoken in plain English...

BTW, thank you Ron D for finding that information!

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 09 Feb. 2021 at 1:35pm
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>