Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any 2a close to vin 177463

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any 2a close to vin 177463
    Posted: 08 Jan. 2018 at 3:09am
Hello friends.
I am starting with a rebuild of a cj2a with vin number 177463.
It's missing the body number plate and the chassis tag.
Anybody on the forum who owns a 2a close to this vin could probably be of help in guessing a proper body tag and a chassis tag number.Pictures would be of great help to k ow the color .
Thanks again.
Regards.
Dsc
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2018 at 3:30am
My jeep’s Original engine was #176350 which may have been somewhat close to the chassis number.  I’m not sure of the VIN number as the state police placed an assigned vin sticker on top of the data plate. 

Edited by otto - 08 Jan. 2018 at 3:32am
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2018 at 1:06pm
Your jeep may not necessarily have the same body tag # and VIN #. In some states the VIN # was assigned by the engine number.
In the case of my CJ2A 176195 the body and vin are 176195 and it did not have a frame tag. Some where in 1948 production year the frame tag was discontinued but I do not know the serial number cut off.
As far as color, the vin number is of no help as it is not coded as such. Best bet to find original color is to check areas of the jeep that tend not to get repainted... under the dash, under the tool box lid, underneath bolted on body parts... ect.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2018 at 1:21pm
DSC,

Is the spare tire support on the left side of the Jeep with the bow pockets on the right?  Or is it set up with the spare tire on the right (passenger side) and the bow pockets on the left?

Stev
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
dsc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2018 at 2:02pm
The spare tire mount is long gone and so the top bow brackets.I would look for the spare tire support braces and the holes for the extra foot man loop that holds the brackets.
I realise it falls in the correct range of Lefty's.
The 2a at present is in very bad shape and demands a complete rebuild. I am looking at body and chassis tag numbers to 2as close to this number.
Thanks and regards.
Dsc
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2018 at 4:48am
Ol' Unreliable is #177150 and there is no frame tag left, if it ever had one.  Bubba welded bars over the outside of the front frame horns, so I can't tell what may have been there originally.  The tag on the firewall does give the number 177150.  There aren't any other tags. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Quick86GN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quick86GN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2018 at 3:33am
I have #177108, no frame tag no holes in frame, it’s a Lefty. Color is Grey
Dale
1948 Lefty
dsc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2018 at 4:21am
thanks .would have to search when did the frame tag was omitted.

Post Reply Post Reply