Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any tips before I remove the rear floor panel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any tips before I remove the rear floor panel
    Posted: 03 Nov. 2019 at 5:55pm
I think I am going to replace the rear floor panel I already have a new one ..it has an area that is rusted out by the back hat channel which is gone and a piece of wood in its place 
I have a spot weld cutter bits and a panel Knife .... I know is a big project but I am welding a new tool box and floor under the tool box area so if I am going to do it Now would be the time.
Any advice would be appreciated before I get started TIA

Edited by Rod - 03 Nov. 2019 at 6:04pm
46 CJ2A 17573 Sioux Falls SD
Link to Photos of Restoration
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmuQgE9e
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2019 at 6:02pm
I cannot offer any advise, but there are lots of people who would love to have an original rear floor that nice good luck with your project!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2019 at 9:11pm
Yeah, I lean towards cutting out and replacing the rot. Seems easier than replacing the panel.
BOULDER 48 2A
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2019 at 10:31pm
if you take it out make sure you brace and cross brace the Wheel houses will make it much easier to put back together. 
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2019 at 10:49pm
Should I just cut a chunk out of the new floor panel and but weld it . I am  Not great at welding but this is going to have a floor Matt over it anyways. 

Thoughts doing it that way instead can use some of the new panel to fix a couple rot spots on the inside fender well also so not completely wasting the whole thing .. it does seem like a big project to replace the whole thing .  Could end up worse than when I started - not sure 

RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2019 at 12:25am
Most of us dream of a tub like that. The rear rotted hat don't look factory-mebbe the source of the rot. Oh and forget the mat lessin you want to start the rot again.
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Cheapsnake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2019 at 12:33am
Just me, but I would get some 18 ga. sheet and rig up a makeshift die to replicate the ribs and weld patches in. If that doesn't work call it a learning experience and go back to Plan A. As stated before, if you do replace the entire floor make sure you brace everything to maintain critical dimensions. Without the floor that tub is bowl of Jello.
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2019 at 1:08am
I like this idea 
Going to try it and like you said if it doesn’t work I can do plan B

and just realized I bet I could cut of the old tool box and use it for a patch.

Edited by Rod - 04 Nov. 2019 at 3:25pm
 Post Reply Post Reply