Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Product Review Forum > Cooling System
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Anyone have experience with Champion radiators?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone have experience with Champion radiators?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone have experience with Champion radiators?
    Posted: 02 June 2014 at 11:42pm
I'm looking at replacement radiators. I have three criteria:

1. They have a shroud
  2. The builder has a good reputation
  3. They don't cost more than my CJ2A - I paid $300

I found an ebay seller offering Champion brand 3-core aluminum units, no shroud, $225 shipping included

They don't seem to be affiliated with Champion, but it's a price I might be able to swing.

If I don't buy a radiator from someone on the forum, it needs to be new. If someone here has a good unit they pulled as part of a restoration, I would be interested depending on what my wife thinks f the price in relation to our budget. Wink
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2014 at 4:59am
Last summer my friend and I bought Champion radiators. His was a bottom mount and fit right in with no changes. He didn't use a shroud so I can't help you there.

I bought a side mount and I had to do a lot of modifications to make it work. I posted the job on CJ3A and I think here too. I called Champion and talked several times to their representative. The radiators are made in China and he thought the side mount was a drop in fit. He was surprised it wasn't but he took a copy of my story and said he would work with the Chinese company to get the problem fixed. 

I put my shroud on the Champion rad and so far it has worked just fine.
Life is only as good as you make it.
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2014 at 6:57am
good to know. Thanks for sharing. 

I've been dealt a reprieve on my radiator, I think.  I've been battling multiple issues for the last week, and some of the symptoms of one problem mask others, and enhance others still

The test drive that went south a couple of days ago was a strange one. I think the overheating was caused by a combination of a bad thermostat and heater issue. The heater issue is that I removed the bubba heater welded to the top of the tool box, and ran the hose from the back of the block to the Y fitting in the upper radiator hose a few weeks back.  

But just before the drive that it overheated on, I had closed the valve at the back of the head. With a bad thermostat and this valve closed, boiling the radiator over is inevitable, I think, and that's what happened.

I replaced the thermostat with a known good unit and opened the valve back up, and no more spewing out the radiator. My temp gage is inoperable, so I have to guess based on hose temp and how the engine is behaving. 

For now, the heat seems to be in control, but the radiator weeps in a few more spots than it did before. I'll still have to replace it, but I can baby it for a little bit yet. A new radiator joined 'LH Axle shaft" and 'Front drive shaft'' one the "major parts to replace' marker board.

It turn out that my alternator was dead too, and somehow the ammeter was wired backward, effectively lying about the state of charge. That turned out decently, as I found a donor 61amp unit to replace the dead 30amp. I just had to swap the pulley over - a double stack pulley smacks the back of the fan at high RPMs.

Basically, the bad thermostat and a non-charging battery conspired to make it look like the engined was overheating and shutting down, when in fact the battery was just too low on power to run the motor.

The carb occasionally still floods over. I installed a pressure gage right at the carb, and pressure is good, so it looks like I need to check out the needle valve and float.

Anyway, I got everything running well enough this evening that I managed a 6 mile test run and actually got it all the way up to 40mph, measured with a GPS, as it seems my speedometer is shot too. Ouch

I'm getting there. 
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
wfopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2022 at 9:42am
Back from the dead post.I put the Champion radiator in my 2A last year and it fit well and cools great.  Seems like a solid unit.  Also put in a 180 T-stat.  

Edited by wfopete - 23 Feb. 2022 at 8:13pm
Suffer Fools, Gladly!
U.S. Army Iraq Veteran (ret.)
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2022 at 7:47pm
(Cool)!!
Thanks for sharing 
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2022 at 9:28am
CHUG has a Champion 2A model aluminum radiator with a 7psi cap and an overflow canister. I am very happy with it. In high speed runs of 60mph+ in 100° weather my temp held 180-185° with a 180° thermostat. Using a SW deluxe mechanical gauge. I have a Dual Electric fan and shroud setup that at speeds above about 20mph never comes on.

Edited by Mark W. - 24 Feb. 2022 at 9:29am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
 Post Reply Post Reply