Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Army CJ2A?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2010 at 12:10am
Fuel pump, did someone say fuel pump?

Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2010 at 12:21am
Chad,
Seriously, I doubt if this CJ-2A had a glove compartment but I don’t know for sure.

Gary,
The last military jeeps were made in 1945. The Army wanted some new Jeeps and decided to test CJ-2As to see if they were “suitable for military use”. This is one of the Jeeps they tested. It was considered “acceptable as a temporary replacement” but they really wanted a military specific vehicle to replace the MB/GPW.

Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2010 at 12:53am

Is that a chain drive winch off the front pulley?

Dave
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2010 at 4:49am
Originally posted by Bob W Bob W wrote:

Chad,
Seriously, I doubt if this CJ-2A had a glove compartment but I don’t know for sure.

I can't really see them doing that either but stranger things have turned up.

Something I've never understood anyway.....the militarys had glove compartments and then when they tried to find a civilian market, they did away with it.....what, farmers don't wear gloves?LOL

Plus, I think those little storage compartments in the rear wheelhouses made use of some wasted space and could have really been useful in the civilian market......just pinching pennies, I guess.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Willys Motors View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willys Motors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2010 at 5:12am
The winch drive is off the crankshaft, then transferred by chain to the winch. This version has power in and out. Yes, I do have one...
Harriet View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harriet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2010 at 10:33am
Perhaps it's a 2A that has been rebodied, there are probably a number over here which have been.
When we first started thinking about bodywork issues, we saw a stand at a show which imported complete bodies (Wow!) and on asking them questions,they assumed we wanted to rebody the CJ as an MB. I got cross at this point, and we I vowed never to use them, because they weren't interested in the civilian aspect of our Jeep!
So, I think this has been happening for years - and people were unaware that they had not bought a true MB.
Just my thoughts.
46 CJ2A 14509

50 Jeepster
58 4WD Truck

My Link
I AM the understanding wife!
Anyone seen my marbles?
Always hoisted by my own petard!
Olive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2010 at 12:58pm
Hi Guys
I have been visiting this site for the last 2 years and have found the forum a wealth of inormation for the restoration of my CJ2a which took 3 years, more money than sense and plenty heartache and tears to complete...... but well worth the effort . Getting back to the topic of  military CJ2a's. I have an original "military" 1948 CJ2a body No 196030 and serial No 204891. From what I can gather from the research I've done I only know of 2 Countries that received Military 
CJ2a's and that was South Africa and the Swiss Army..(Harold West stated the same in his article on paint colors on this site) I have the documentation from the SA military archives on the order for the jeeps to Willys Overland. They received 249 CJ2a's in 1948 only. I have no idea how many the Swiss received.
The only difference between civillian CJ2a's and military CJ2a's is the color of the tub which was a olive drab bordering more towards  olive than drab. (I had original paint around my gearbox cowling on the tub) All other parts like chassis, seats etc were black, not green like everyone seems to think. A rectangular indentation/stamping on the passenger floor which I have only seen on the ex SA army CJ2a's and not on the others that were imported into SA.  My jeep was bought on an army auction 30 years ago and was kept by the purchaser until I bought it from him. The tub had never been removed from the chassis and the original tub mountings were all still in place. I have documented my build from beginng to end with about a thousand photo's of my project which I hope to post some time soon. 
Longhunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2010 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Willys Motors Willys Motors wrote:

The winch drive is off the crankshaft, then transferred by chain to the winch. This version has power in and out. Yes, I do have one...

How does that work?
Surely it's not a direct drive set up.
Is there some kind of a clutch?

Mike in Mississippi
2006 Jeep Rubicon
1946 CJ2a #49667
1946 Bantam T3-C #7909
1 UNDERSTANDING Wife

"2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 rights will make a left".... Gallagher
Longhunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2010 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by Olive Olive wrote:

Hi Guys
I have been visiting this site for the last 2 years and have found the forum a wealth of inormation for the restoration of my CJ2a which took 3 years, more money than sense and plenty heartache and tears to complete...... but well worth the effort . Getting back to the topic of  military CJ2a's. I have an original "military" 1948 CJ2a body No 196030 and serial No 204891. From what I can gather from the research I've done I only know of 2 Countries that received Military 
CJ2a's and that was South Africa and the Swiss Army..(Harold West stated the same in his article on paint colors on this site) I have the documentation from the SA military archives on the order for the jeeps to Willys Overland. They received 249 CJ2a's in 1948 only. I have no idea how many the Swiss received.
The only difference between civillian CJ2a's and military CJ2a's is the color of the tub which was a olive drab bordering more towards  olive than drab. (I had original paint around my gearbox cowling on the tub) All other parts like chassis, seats etc were black, not green like everyone seems to think. A rectangular indentation/stamping on the passenger floor which I have only seen on the ex SA army CJ2a's and not on the others that were imported into SA.  My jeep was bought on an army auction 30 years ago and was kept by the purchaser until I bought it from him. The tub had never been removed from the chassis and the original tub mountings were all still in place. I have documented my build from beginng to end with about a thousand photo's of my project which I hope to post some time soon. 

We want some pics!
You know we are impatient people!LOL

Mike in Mississippi
2006 Jeep Rubicon
1946 CJ2a #49667
1946 Bantam T3-C #7909
1 UNDERSTANDING Wife

"2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 rights will make a left".... Gallagher
ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2010 at 1:39pm
Ditto Longhunter....that jeep of yours has an extrordinary, documented history!  We would love to see some pictures!
She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
Olive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2010 at 2:01pm
Olive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2010 at 2:06pm
Hi Im not sure if I'm posting the pic correctly, please let me know and I will send you plenty more.
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2010 at 2:08pm
The photo looks fine!
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
Olive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2010 at 2:50pm
Here are pics of indentations on passenger side floor. The tub and chassis had been rubberised by the army some where down the line which preserved the original color. 
Olive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2010 at 3:04pm
Olive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2010 at 3:12pm
westforkboyd View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2010 at 3:12pm
Hi Olive, welcome to the 2Apage

The floor indent you mentioned is on all 2A floors. Search floor indent and you can find detailed info on it. It is a carryover from when the muffler was mounted on that side. A captured nut bracket was welded there and the indent keeps the bracket level with the flange on the hat channel as your photo underneath shows. When the muffler was moved the indent stayed as WO didn't change their stamping but the bracket was no longer needed. I have often noted the presence of that indent to identify original floor pans.

WFB
'48 CJ-2A #184135 Lefty
'49 CJ-2A #219719 Mule
'39 Ford 9N
'55 Oliver Super 55 Ollybelle
Olive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2010 at 3:13pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>