Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

At A Crossroads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2018 at 12:15am
when this is all said and done, regardless of what happens.  I’m gonna make this up to all of you for your help and support.  It Might be brisket if you ever come to Montana, or it might be my Wife's famous lemon bars in the mail.  The kindness and knowledge you guys have shown me keeps my faith in people and sanity intact. 
1947 CJ-2A Willys
PackRat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PackRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2018 at 12:39am
Go ahead and send the letters and now include the NCIS regarding a FRAUDULENT serviceperson on that base. You have absolutely NOTHING to lose but the time to look up their contact info and send them a letter.

Furthermore, there is absolutely NO reason not to protect others by outing someone who is basically a THIEF to others....what's he going to do, take YOU to court?

I think by posting his name you will have some sense of satisfaction in possibly making his life just a tad bit more miserable if others should read this thread and enlighten others on the base of his antics.

Hey, I would be happy to post his name and your story on the g503 website since this guy is a jeep con-man as a warning over there as well with a link to this thread. I do not think this violates any of the websites conduct rules so please post his name and lets see what happens.

Finally, you do not under any circumstances owe me or anyone else anything in reguard to this thread...if the jeep community finds a rat then they need to get rid of it like anyone would do in their circle of friends.
GPW-17963 4/24/42
Ford F-250
Alaskan Camper
Bantam T3-C #21170
danover321 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote danover321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2018 at 12:48am
NCIS won't touch this as a case as it's solely a civil matter.  Also, the US Attorney they would have to submit the case to for prosecution will not file unless there is a loss to the US government of $100,000 or more.  I'm a Special Agent with the government and former police detective.  I saw civil cases like this everyday and would have to explain to the complainant to file in civil court for resolution.  I'm only stressing my points so everyone involved in this thread has a realistic idea of the options available, which are slim.

Lastly, posting the sellers name on a public forum is opening yourself up to civil liability for slander if you harm his reputation.  Once you post his Personal Identifiable Information it's posted forever.  Again it's your word against his!

Edited by danover321 - 08 July 2018 at 12:52am
44 Willys MB 379XXX
45 Willys MB 459XXX
46 Willys CJ2A 38008
46 Willys CJ2A 38136
47 Willys CJ2A 97474
US Army Active/Reserve 1989 to 2005
Desert Storm, Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq Invasion 2003

Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2018 at 1:25am
1811 here too. I know the Chief of the office and I know she would not take this case. Hell, I can't get her to take mine!

It has been a while since I have been out to NAS Fallon. I don't know any of the NCIS guys. I point to the wire fraud statute only as a way to open a case if they want to. If they want to screw with this guy and see where it leads, they could. I believe they have jurisdiction since the statute is broad but there will never be a prosecution. I too would not get my hopes up but you never know where things can go. If it causes him some grief, maybe there is some satisfaction and it deters him from screwing the next guy. 

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
Cinnabear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2018 at 1:25am
I’ve gone as far as sharing the ad. We’ve already talked about posting his name, and I just cant do that.  Really all I want is what I paid for, and if I can get him to make that right then I’m happy and done with it. I’ve contacted the Willys sites where he posted the ads and shared my story and everything with them. 
I totally get it’s my word against his, but I have all the pics, our texts, his ad, and the shop that’s been working on it to support my point of view.  He can’t even explain what he did during his year long frame off restoration. The tranny and transfer case are intact (but in bad shape).  The Jeep just won’t be driven to protect myself (and because it’s not safe) until the tranny/transfer case and brakes are fixed. 

I sent him $500 via bank transfer to deliver it, and $10,000 cash when he got here to Montana, then took them to the hotel and paid for their room. I think I have everything I need to force him to do the right thing.

Edited by Cinnabear - 08 July 2018 at 1:41am
1947 CJ-2A Willys
Cinnabear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 2:47am
I thought I'd update you guys on the drama.

Finally got through to the seller this last weekend, we talked and I shared pics and a description. He swore he didnt know anything was wrong with the Willys, which is hard to believe given how much RTV was slopped on there, covered by bedliner. He said that he'd send me the $1820 I asked for to cover the Tranny/TC, but had to talk to JAG to get a letter signed by me saying I wouldnt pursue him for anymore money......no problem at all I said. I am trying to be reasonable through all this, people make mistakes and as long as he was willing to try to make things right, I thought I should work with him...........

Yesterday some LT from the JAG office calls and tells me he is advising his client not to pay me or work with me. Says all vehicle sales are "as is" and that I'd have to prove the seller tried to hide the issues, I told him the seller had told me JAG was putting together the letter for me to sign and he was sending me the money, LT says thats news to him and that he needs to talk to his client....I wanted to throat punch this clown the entire conversation, he had a serious attitude, and kept interrupting me. Said he'd call back today to follow up, and never did.

Trying to decide now if I want to get a lawyer involved or not.....This whole ordeal has really made me question people
1947 CJ-2A Willys
danover321 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danover321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by Cinnabear Cinnabear wrote:

I thought I'd update you guys on the drama.

Finally got through to the seller this last weekend, we talked and I shared pics and a description. He swore he didnt know anything was wrong with the Willys, which is hard to believe given how much RTV was slopped on there, covered by bedliner. He said that he'd send me the $1820 I asked for to cover the Tranny/TC, but had to talk to JAG to get a letter signed by me saying I wouldnt pursue him for anymore money......no problem at all I said. I am trying to be reasonable through all this, people make mistakes and as long as he was willing to try to make things right, I thought I should work with him...........

Yesterday some LT from the JAG office calls and tells me he is advising his client not to pay me or work with me. Says all vehicle sales are "as is" and that I'd have to prove the seller tried to hide the issues, I told him the seller had told me JAG was putting together the letter for me to sign and he was sending me the money, LT says thats news to him and that he needs to talk to his client....I wanted to throat punch this clown the entire conversation, he had a serious attitude, and kept interrupting me. Said he'd call back today to follow up, and never did.

Trying to decide now if I want to get a lawyer involved or not.....This whole ordeal has really made me question people

Unfortunately for you, the JAG lawyer advised his client correctly not to cooperate.  Remember when I posted the sale was as is?  Also, the seller didn't know what he was talking about having JAG produce a civil liability waiver as they typically do not perform such legal duties for civil transactions.   If you still require a resolution, file suit against him in the county where the transaction occurred; however, be prepared to pay filing fees and service fees for an interstate service of suit.  I'm not trying to beat up on you, just trying to provide realistic options based on the information you have provided.

Edited by danover321 - 14 July 2018 at 1:32am
44 Willys MB 379XXX
45 Willys MB 459XXX
46 Willys CJ2A 38008
46 Willys CJ2A 38136
47 Willys CJ2A 97474
US Army Active/Reserve 1989 to 2005
Desert Storm, Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq Invasion 2003

ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 11:15pm
Legal opinion: Buyer beware.

Put this behind you and learn from it.

Ralph
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 4:41am
In my 5 years in the Navy, I only met a couple officers who were worth anything as human beings.  I'm not surprised.  A shipmate had a Porsche 914 and some admiral's kids stole it, took it for a joyride and burned it.  Nothing happened to them.  That was 45 years ago; maybe karma has slapped them down.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Cinnabear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 5:03am
JAG guy just called back.......Said the seller would cover $900, its all he can afford. I reminded him that he said he'd cover $1800 on Monday and was having the JAG draw up a letter. I feel thats more than generous, with me covering installation and everything else (brakes, $1500 already into fuel system and electrical, nevermind the paint).
JAG guy says seller is adamant that he did nothing wrong, then goes on to say seller opened up the transmission and cleaned.....ok, if he opened it up and cleaned it, then he obviously knew the gears and synchros were trash....and if he did that, why didnt he replace the seals he had gobbed RTV and bedliner all over. JAG stammered all over himself and told me he'd get  back to me next week with either a counteroffer or tell me to sue him.....I said I had no problem suing him...with his ad, all the texts, receipts and invoices, and two shops behind me I feel comfortable. He asked if I thought it was worth it to go to court over the extra $300. I told him if I sue him its gonna be for everything, not just the tranny and TC, I'm $5300 into this already.

Edited by Cinnabear - 14 July 2018 at 5:05am
1947 CJ-2A Willys
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 5:27am
I guess I must have been in a different Navy. The officers I served under were for the most part well educated, intelligent, highly motivated individuals that looked after their troops and did a difficult job, sometimes under extremely trying circumstances. I probably would not be here today except for the actions of some of those officers.
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 8:06am
I guess you must have been in a different Navy.  I was in the nuclear Navy and things were different.  I had a long screed written here but I decided to eliminate it.  It's been over 40 years since those days and I don't need to re hash them.  I'm glad you got better treatment.

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 15 July 2018 at 8:23am
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 1:11pm
I got out of the Navy almost fifty years ago and you are right, some things are just as well left unsaid. Anyway, we were all there to do a job, thanks for your service,
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
Cinnabear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 11:07pm
Yeah, back when this first started I mentioned that the military has changed a lot. Oh well.....

the Jeep is gonna be taking a back seat for a bit....had a little accident at home and ended up in the ER. Second degree burns on most of my left arm and hand, part of right arm, and neck. I love BBQ, but dont smell anywhere near as good as brisket
1947 CJ-2A Willys
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 11:28pm
Oh gosh, sorry to hear that. Hope its not too serious and that you'll be on the mend soon!
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Cinnabear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 11:58pm
lol. I’ll be fine.  Just bad luck. Tomorrow Jeep goes in and get coolant flush. Wanted to do it myself but that ain’t happening 
1947 CJ-2A Willys
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 12:04am
Hope you get back to normal soon!

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
Cinnabear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 1:58am
Originally posted by russnj russnj wrote:

Hope you get back to normal soon!
well...as normal as possible anywaySmile  I think I’m changing my name to Johnny Disaster. 

Edited by Cinnabear - 16 July 2018 at 2:03am
1947 CJ-2A Willys
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>