Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Audio Diagnostics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Audio Diagnostics
    Posted: 02 June 2018 at 7:47pm
OK Gang. Changed out the Intake and exhaust manifolds as well as checked valve springs and set all the valve spring clearances, but..... still have this clack clack clack noise coming from the engine. Vacuum testing shows gauge bouncing between 20-22 rapidly. A relatively new occurrence. Any ideas?

THIS is how it USED to sound:
https://vimeo.com/239275820

THIS is how it sounds now
https://vimeo.com/273119710

Edited by cal.bar - 02 June 2018 at 7:55pm
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 11:44pm
Do you have a mechanic’s stethoscope? It might help you locate where the noise is coming from. 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

Do you have a mechanic’s stethoscope? It might help you locate where the noise is coming from. 

I don't but the noise seems to be coming from right in the middle of the engine block (or so it seems)

cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 2:14am
Hell, you do not need a "Mechanics Stethoscope", you just need an old broom stick. Cut off the handle at whatever length is good for you. I like about 3.5 feet long. Place the cut off end against the engine block, (or whatever you want to listen to), & the rounded end in your ear. It is amazing how well this works. I have used long, wood handled, screwdrivers as well.

Just for grins, remove the fan belt & see if the noise goes away. If it does, it is either your water pump, or your generator/alternator with a bad bearing/bushing. This a cheap & easy test. Just do not run the engine for a long time this way.

Another thing to look at are your engine mounts. If they are bad, they can let the engine transmit it's vibration to the tub +/or frame. Actually, if any part of the engine, gear boxes, or exhaust pipe, is touching any part of the tub +/or frame it will also transmit that vibration. The tub/frame will act as a sounding board, kind of like a drum.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 3:28am
Thanks Capt. Great ideas! Sadly (or not) I removed the fan belt and ran it and there was no change in the sound of the engine. All motor mounts look fine. The eng. is not shaking or rattling, but it just makes that clak clak clak noise. I doubt that I suddenly lost compression in one or more cylinders so as to suspect that. Still wondering if the new exhaust manifold and/or intake manifold could be the issue since they are the only thing to change before the new clacking sound.

Edited by cal.bar - 03 June 2018 at 3:43am
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 3:11pm
Sounds similar to an issue I had a few years back...

You won't believe what my issue ended up being.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

You won't believe what my issue ended up being.

And the diagnosis was.......(suspense continues)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 4:11pm
TIM YOU'RE KILLING ME. Yes, it sounds very similar to my problem. I was settling down to the idea that it had something to do with my intake or exhaust manifolds since they are the only thing that changed immediately prior to my sound appearing and with the engine running well otherwise, I figure it has to be an exhaust kind of thing.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 5:22pm
Sorry. Sometimes I like to build up the suspense.  

My issue was so unusual, and is not likely the same as cal.bars, but is an easy diagnostic.  

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 5:55pm
WOW! That DOES sound VERY similar to mine. I did have to remove the carb each time I went to replace the exhaust and intake manifold, but don't remember any lost screws etc. But who knows. Although NOT exactly an EASY diagnostic. Pulling the head risks a broken head stud or two, and replacing the head gasket at a minimum. Not to mention, since I've never done it before, there is the "moron" factor of me screwing something up in the process.

But at this point, I am at a loss for anything better in terms of a diagnosis.
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 5:59pm
So... setting aside the screw for a moment, could it be a piece of carbon (from the removed manifolds for example)? Would running some seafoam or other additive make any sense before pulling the head gasket?

Also, saw a guy on YouTube use a micro camera to go down the park plug hole to view the top of each piston. I suppose I would be able to do that first w/o having to pull the head! That would (in theory) show me the top of the piston where Tim's screw came to rest. Although not sure what to do if the problem were below the piston.

Edited by cal.bar - 03 June 2018 at 6:07pm
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 6:01pm
cal.bar...The simple part is to look down the throat of the Carter and make sure both screws are still holding the throttle plate to the throttle shaft.

A more involved diagnostic is pulling the head to see if a chunk of carbon or a chunk of piston has broken free.  But I wouldn't do this until you determine if the knock sounds like it's at the top of the engine.

Edited by athawk11 - 03 June 2018 at 6:04pm
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

cal.bar...The simple part is to look down the throat of the Carter and make sure both screws are still holding the throttle plate to the throttle shaft.

A more involved diagnostic is pulling the head to see if a chunk of carbon or a chunk of piston has broken free.  But I wouldn't do this until you determine if the knock sounds like it's at the top of the engine.

If you mean the choke plate right up near the top of the carb, yes, I have both of those in place. I only removed the two big bolts at the bottom of the carb to take the entire unit off, I didn't fiddle with anything inside.

But, perhaps a piece of a ring or carbon have gotten in there?
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 7:48pm
OK, you HAVE to love technology. I just ordered an ultra small lighted endoscope for my cell phone. (all of $25.00) When I get it, I will run it down the spark plug hole. That should allow me to view the top of each piston the way Tim showed us in his pics. I will get pics and report back. If I
find a screw like Tim did, I owe him a nice bottle of scotch. If not.... well, he can come up with another idea for the noise.
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 10:15pm
Don't laugh-is your dipstick bent? Unscrew it, turn it 180 degrees and screw it back in.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 10:21pm
That sounds like a great tool.  Easier than pulling a head. 

The screw I lost was on the lower "throttle" plate located inside the base of the carburetor.  The screw head faces down, but you may still be able to see the back side of the screw if you shine a light down there.  

Again, it's more likely some type of valve leak or manifold leak, but it sounded very similar to my past issue, so I thought I would share it as a possibility...no matter how remote.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 10:32pm
I will use the new camera to take a peek at the top of the Pistons. But I can't help but think it has something to do with  a manifold leak. I replaced the manifold gasket when I replace the exhaust manifold, however I am wondering if any of you have had experience with a manifold ceiling gasket maker kind of like Permatex that is impervious to the Heat for a little more reassurance in terms of seal

Edited by cal.bar - 04 June 2018 at 2:35am
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 2:48am
Originally posted by 48walker 48walker wrote:

Don't laugh-is your dipstick bent? Unscrew it, turn it 180 degrees and screw it back in.

Nope, good and straight. But interesting thought though
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>