Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - August 2020 What did you do to your Willys today?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

August 2020 What did you do to your Willys today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2020 at 3:43am
UOTE=eestes1]
I mowed close to a fence row by offsetting the brush cutter. Worked fine once I learned just how offset it was and quit hitting fence posts and trees!
Tongue

[/QUOTE]

Interesting brush cutter . .  no PTO required. 
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2020 at 1:10am
Pulled the leaking front diff cover, clean, new gasket, will refill when the sealant is fully cured.

Also finished disassembling a spare engine. I have the block bare now; can't see any visable cracks. I'll take it to a machine shop now and have it and the head cleaned and inspected for cracks. 
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
mullen46cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mullen46cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2020 at 1:41am
Son and grandchildren putting around the backyard. Grandson reminds me of the
Kilroy was here cartoon WWII era.

Bruce Mullen   Harrisville, WV       

46 CJ2A column shift SOLD 07-15
48 CJ2A with Newgren lift
55 CJ5

mullen46cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mullen46cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2020 at 1:54am
Dismantling 45 CJ2A

Bruce Mullen   Harrisville, WV       

46 CJ2A column shift SOLD 07-15
48 CJ2A with Newgren lift
55 CJ5

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2020 at 12:22pm
I removed both of the fenders on my 47. They were rusted out around the brackets, but otherwise not too bad. Already patched up the driver side fender and installed a new bracket, the passenger side fender was also rusted away behind the battery. I have a replacement panel for that and a new bracket, but may just use a Reproduction fender I have.

The brackets on both sides were almost completely gone where they were welded to the inner fenders. The bottom 3" where the wood is were still attached to the frame but the top bolts on both sides were rusted away to only little nubs about 1/4" still sticking out. I heated these bolts cherry red and lightly tapped them with a hammer. Let them cool a while and squirted Kroil on them. An hour later they came out very easily with a pair of Vice Grips on the nubs.

Spent another hour cleaning up and painting the mounting locations, straightening the lip of the little steps that the bottom of the fenders bolt to, and chasing the threads in the rusty capture nuts.

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2020 at 7:36pm
Got the new fork in the shift tower.
Apparently I have the later M38/M38A1 tower because it has threaded plugs on the front.
FYI they use 5/16 square hole type plugs.
If anyone runs into that, I now have a 3/8 socket extension that has been ground down. LOL
I doubt I will ever need it again if you want to use it and pass it on as needed.
1946 CJ2A 14098
JonJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2020 at 7:16pm
I have seen loads of places on the web to buy CJ2a parts and breakers yards with load of jeeps just lying around. Sadly there are very few suppliers in the UK and they are expensive.  Amazing what you can do with a piece of hardboard !

Edited by JonJ - 16 Aug. 2020 at 7:22pm
JonJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2020 at 7:18pm
And a couple of plastic plant pot saucers!

SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2020 at 10:42pm
Noticed about three weeks ago that the right front shock on Ol' Red was leaking oil. Upon further inspection I also noticed that one of the longer leaves on the right front had a broken leaf.

So...got some brand new front springs and shocks and put them on today. Ol' Red does sit a little taller today. I don't bottom out on the bump stop now after I test fired her on some bumpy railroad crossings that plague our town.

I replaced the front springs about fifty years ago with ones from J.C. Whitney. I wonder if the Whitney warranty still applies?

Getting her ready for the Fall Color Tour...

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 23 Aug. 2020 at 9:31pm
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2020 at 9:30pm
Well, when it rains it pours...while installing shocks I noticed a yellowish dried spray on the top of the front axle and the right lower side of the engine.

Radiator leak...so new radiator is coming along with upper and lower hoses, fan belt and hose clamps. While the grille is out of the way, I also have left and right motor mounts on the way also. The left one looked a little gnarly...

...I guess it is only money...Nothing is too good for my Ol' Red.

Just Empty Every Pocket

While the grille is off I might take the left fender off and pull the valve cover to check the tappet clearances. It is much easier with the fender off.

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 23 Aug. 2020 at 10:02pm
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Ducati Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducati Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2020 at 9:50pm
Yesterday I replaced the Solex carb, with a Carter 636. Started right up, idles fine and revs good with one small exception. It comes off idle fine when just barely cracked but then right after the revs come up a little (very little) it boggs down. First thing I thought: my 54 Chevy pick-up did that and it was a stuck power valve, but a Carter WO dosen't seem to have one - This was sold "as new" but sat on a shelf for 35 years, guess it needs to come apart maybe some one knows what I should be looking for~
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2020 at 10:09pm
Accelerator pump need adjusting?  Is it even moving when you open the throttle?  
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducati Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2020 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

I think you hit the nail on the head, the pump works but not anything like normal. I looked at a diagram and see some form of a "jet" that should spray the gas from the pump, however this just seems to leak from between the upper & lower castings. As you look down thru the carb there's a kind of shelf above the venturi and the gas just flows across it from the accelerator pump~
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2020 at 10:35pm
Mounted and tested my two new electric horns, Got my big layout table set back up so I can assemble my Windshield/wipers/mirrors/vent/etc. I'll also be working on the Tailgate on this table. I am putting a layer of 1/8" aluminum on the inside of the tailgate to give me a place to anchor the Wood strips I will have on the inside of the gate to match the floor.

Also go the High temp Foam sealer for the Radiator installed. I real happy with the way this came out.

I also made up a small coiled airhose to go with the OBA for blowing dust out of the jeep etc. My Dump truck at work has an in cab airhose for blowing the cab out clean. And the little rubber tip from the nozzle got lost. Went to the mechanic who didn't want to bother with it so he gave me a whole new setup and told me to use what I needed and do what ever with the rest. SO I took the little rubber nozzle piece fixed my truck air hose and then brought the left over home. The nozzle in the new kit also have one of them safety nozzles with the recessed hole and a pair of holes cross drilled so if you put it against your skin the air bleeds out the side holes instead of blowing you up like a blimp (or that blue girl in Willys Wonka). Nice short little set up. I'll add a short straight hose to it and have what I need to air up tires and camping gear.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2020 at 10:38pm
I hate those OSHA-required things.  You never get a strong enough blast of air with one.  It's another case of the government requiring everyone to conform to the lowest common denominator.  
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2020 at 11:01pm
Today I removed the channel iron bumper, and cut off the old mangled top bumper gussets. It was very hot today, so I didn't get as much done as I wanted, but my die grinder and drill sure got a work out too. 

Tomorrow I will remover the bottom gussets and spring hangers. Then start replacing it all with new hangers, gussets, and shackles. 

Those rivets sure are are fun to remove, not!  Broke my favorite drill bit.

I also mounted my new tires to the rims using one of those Harbor Freight tire changers. Just plain torture out in the hot Southern sun, but got it done.

By the time I get all this done my buddy should be finished with painting the fenders, so getting close to the first drive down the road.

Edited by Oldpappy - 23 Aug. 2020 at 11:03pm
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2020 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by Ducati Rod Ducati Rod wrote:

I think you hit the nail on the head, the pump works but not anything like normal. I looked at a diagram and see some form of a "jet" that should spray the gas from the pump, however this just seems to leak from between the upper & lower castings. As you look down thru the carb there's a kind of shelf above the venturi and the gas just flows across it from the accelerator pump~

I have no formal training on the Carter WO carbureter, but I've spent a lot of time studying it and trying to understand how it works, and I've learned a lot. What follows is based on my study of a similar accelerator pump problem of my own. If i'm full of stuffing, as Mom would have said, and someone with actual knowledge can explain to me how and why I'm wrong, I'll learn something and thanks. I think this is pretty accurate, though.

There are (I guess you could say) a nozzle and a jet, with a small space between the two. The jet's orifice is a bit larger than the nozzle's. The stream from the nozzle passes thru the jet without making contact, pretty much. There's a passage from the space between to the outside. This prevents venturi vacuum from sucking fuel out of the bowl thru the pump circuit. I think that venturi vacuum helps to pull the stream thru the jet. If the jet is obstructed, fuel will be blown out thru that vent. If the nozzle is obstructed and the stream is not solid, the stream will strike the jet and be deflected, and will come out the vent. If the carb has been in storage for a while, dirt or bugs or whatever may have gotten in there thru the vent.
I hope this helps.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducati Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2020 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Originally posted by Ducati Rod Ducati Rod wrote:

I have no formal training on the Carter WO carbureter, but I've spent a lot of time studying it and trying to understand how it works, and I've learned a lot. What follows is based on my study of a similar accelerator pump problem of my own. If i'm full of stuffing, as Mom would have said, and someone with actual knowledge can explain to me how and why I'm wrong, I'll learn something and thanks. I think this is pretty accurate, though.

There are (I guess you could say) a nozzle and a jet, with a small space between the two. The jet's orifice is a bit larger than the nozzle's. The stream from the nozzle passes thru the jet without making contact, pretty much. There's a passage from the space between to the outside. This prevents venturi vacuum from sucking fuel out of the bowl thru the pump circuit. I think that venturi vacuum helps to pull the stream thru the jet. If the jet is obstructed, fuel will be blown out thru that vent. If the nozzle is obstructed and the stream is not solid, the stream will strike the jet and be deflected, and will come out the vent. If the carb has been in storage for a while, dirt or bugs or whatever may have gotten in there thru the vent.
I hope this helps.  BW

Bruce:        From looking at the pictures on line I've seen what you're speaking of and now understand why it's made that way. I really didn't want to take it apart, it does appear to be new and I know at least one screw slot will tell the tale of a repair. The other issue is I have no new gaskets, lots of gasket material, but doubt I could make a carb gasket with all the little details.   In any case, Thank You much for the explanation of the circuit !!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>