Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Axle bump extensions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMyers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2019 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by Bill Norris Bill Norris wrote:

EMeyers you are correct, they were also part of the Capstan winch option as well.

Bill

AH! That would have been a nice find 
CJ2A 18450

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/46-cj2a-18450_topic41246_page1.html

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2019 at 5:19am
Originally posted by Steelyard Blues Steelyard Blues wrote:

I cleaned them up as best I could. The OCR is not always accurate. From the Bulletins:

Beginning with Model CJ-2A, Serial No. 176936, on March 17, 1946, ...  This new frame started with Model CJ-2A, Serial No, 215648, on September 20, 1948.

Effective with Model CJ-2A vehicle Serial no. 178936 on March 17, 1948.

These two "March 17" dates threw me for a while, because Ol' Unreliable is a '48 Lefty with s/n 177xxx.  I'd have to say the OCR is mistaken on the first March 17 date.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2019 at 5:25pm
15 Field RCA
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2019 at 5:26pm
15 Field RCA
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2019 at 7:08pm
My '46 #69750 has what look like cast iron at the rear.  Based on what I'm seeing here it seems safe to think that at some point in its past it may have been a beast of burden, or simply sported a rear gearbox?  I'm not aware of any other indications, it came to me without so much as a drawbar and no other holes in the tub etc.

Interesting conversation on what otherwise is a pretty nondescript item Wink
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2019 at 2:15am
So if I can paraphrase from the OCR provided by Steel Yard Blues, and amend the date to 1948 from the 1946 that WAS typed in there because serial number 176xxx was right around the “Lefty” time period in 1948, it seems these spacers were provided as a general rule on all regular production CJ2-a up until the frames were changed to the stouter CJ3-a type frame.....that’s what I’m gleaning from that statement. The other thought was that they were provided only when special equipment was installed. The thing that has me scratching my head is that I thought all that “special equipment” was added at the dealer or other places and NOT at the factory and if that’s so then the factory added spacers to every Jeep.Geek
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 8:10pm
I have #46877 and I have cast-iron spacers in the rear, but none in the front.  I have no pump in the front, or evidence of a PTO in the rear.

But my issue is how to replace them.  I bought new axel bumpers and when removing the old ones every single bolt snapped off.

In the rear it appears the nuts inside the frame (two on each side in the rear) are welded to the inside of section of the frame where it is not boxed in.  In the front that section of the frame is boxed in, so I cannot see how the front ones are bolted in.

So, does anyone know if this is a threaded insert in the frame in the front?  And in the rear it that nut just corroded in place, or has anyone else seen these nuts come out with the bumpers and extensions?

And just for fun, do I need to put the rear extension back in?  I am inclined to leave them out.

Thanks

Edited by jgodfrey - 03 May 2021 at 8:42pm
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 8:33pm
When replacing my bump stops, I broke off most of the bolts, Instead of fighting with trying to drill and rethread I just tack welded the bump stops on. Not standard or pretty, but effective and efficient. 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Dutch 1960 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch 1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 8:40pm
Early ‘46, s/n 20xxx, with factory heavy duty springs.  Steel spacers in back, not in front, no evidence of ever having had any PTO or implements installed.

With a level frame/tub, there is still quite a lot of upward travel before meeting the rear bump stops, even with the spacers installed (between 4 and 5 inches).  

It looks to me that the spacers in the rear are entirely appropriate.  Perhaps they were installed on only the Jeeps with h/d springs, but I suspect all of them got it.

The rear spacers are heavy cast iron, and are also curved down at one end in the casting, to match the curvature of the frame rails where they are mounted.  The part number listed for the front may have a different curvature, or none at all, to fit the application.

Per Micah’s post above, the rear spacers started with Jeep number 15284.

Edited by Dutch 1960 - 03 May 2021 at 8:46pm
Dutch 1960 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch 1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 8:50pm
Jeez Louise, that YouTube posted above is scary.  The guy that endo’d his Jeep at the end was very lucky, falling out the side at the last moment.  Good advertisement for a roll bar or cage.
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 11:11pm
Mine has the spacers too, but no indication of ever having a PTO or lift.

The front has welded in nuts too. I was able to pop the old one loose that had a broken bolt with a drift, drilled the hole bigger and flush welded a nut into the frame. A better way would be to drill or drive the old ones out and put nut inserts into the frame.
If all of them are broken off though, Stan’s solution sounds tempting. Laying under the Jeep trying to get those out are a real pain.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 12:19am
Originally posted by Dutch 1960 Dutch 1960 wrote:

Jeez Louise, that YouTube posted above is scary.  The guy that endo’d his Jeep at the end was very lucky, falling out the side at the last moment.  Good advertisement for a roll bar or cage.

I’d say it’s a good advertisement for using your head for something other than a place to put your hat. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 12:44am
218xxx didn't have them.  It also has the newer style frame as indicated in the posts above.
Dave
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 12:51am
Originally posted by 92889 92889 wrote:

https://youtu.be/u4JdU3RbV4k

Dang! You OK Stan??
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 4:57am
I just now came in from the garage after replacing my rear bump stops. 
One bolt came out with a fight but nut remained, two broke the welded on nut off inside the frame, & one bolt broke off. 
 I drilled out the broken bolt & replaced it & the other two with longer bolts, lock washers & nuts. 
 Getting the nuts on the bolts thru that little hole in the frame was a bitch, but doable.

My '47 had spacers in the rear, & no spacers in front. No indications that it had any PTO or options.
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 1:13pm
Based on everything I have read here, I can likely manage replacing the rear bumpers.  Getting access to the nuts might be necessary to solve the problem.

But those front ones....   I can (maybe) get the old bolts extracted, but if I can't I won't have much of a choice other the to try to drill them out.  Depending on the outcome of that, I may or may not be able to get new nuts or threads in those holes.  So, TBD I guess.

I have to say that out of all the jobs I have done so far in the 8+ months of this frame-off restoration, breaking a bolt is, by far, the most dissatisfying thing so far.  That is the feeling of failure, combined with the knowledge of the knuckle-busting effort it will take to remedy the situation.

Edited by jgodfrey - 04 May 2021 at 3:54pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12