Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Back after a long hiatus

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back after a long hiatus
    Posted: 24 Feb. 2024 at 7:49pm
I had to put my project jeep (old rebuild thread here) on the back burner for about 10 years due to life events getting in the way, but life is finally settling back down.  I ended up selling the project jeep a couple months ago to a friend after owning it for 26 years.  It probably wasn't the smartest decision (I sold it for less than half of what I had in it), but it was an easy choice.  My mom decided to let go of the 2A I fell in love with as a kid, and while I did manage to rearrange enough stuff to cram two CJ2As into the garage, it wasn't really sensible to keep both.

This jeep (CJ2A #167419) has been in my family since January 5, 1960.  The story is that my great grandfather purchased it from the Navy.  My grandpa always insisted on that, but it doesn't have any Navy tags or other evidence, so I can't swear to it.  From what I can tell, it was originally black, then red (the red might be primer, not sure), and then gray.  I know for sure it's been gray since before 1960, since I have a picture of my then-two-year-old mom sitting in it from that summer.

It spent the next 37 years at my great-grandparent's lake cottage, hauling 4 generations of adults and kids up and down the steep switchback road cut into the hillside down to the lake and back up again.  It was also used to haul the boat in and out for winter storage.  My grandpa taught me to drive on this very jeep when I was 14 (a day I'll never forget) and my mom also learned to drive on this same jeep.

After my great-grandmother passed away in 1997, it made its way to my grandparents' garage, where it mostly sat for about the next 10 or so years.  My mom brought it to her garage in around 2008, and hasn't been driven much since.  She had someone do some work to it about 5 years ago, so it got a bit of a tune-up, fluids changed out, and new tires.  Now that it's finally in my garage, I'm starting to get all the mechanical issues sorted out, as well as fixing/preserving the rest.

So far, I've replaced the pieced-together fuel lines, removed the cracked, crusty spare and replaced it with a match for the rest of the tires, vacuumed 70+ years of accumulated sand, dirt, and mouse nest debris, replaced an extremely leaky rear output seal on the D18 while removing literally 30-40 lbs of asphalt-like sand mixed with ancient gear oil from the top of the skid plate, and I'm prepping for another transmission/transfer case rebuild like I did on the last one.

The goal is to get it cleaned up and restored to the point where I can drive it around town and enjoy it, and maybe do some light offroading.
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2024 at 8:48pm
Looks like a great "project".  But it really needs some Harvard red wheels------the CJ 2A of my youth and in which I also learned to drive. 
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2024 at 1:03am
Very cool Jeep, especially with it having such a long family history !

Believe that story. The Navy certainly did buy CJ2As after the supply of WW2 Jeeps dried up, and paint them Navy Grey. During WW2 they would get standard Government issue MBs and GPWs that were painted OD, and paint those Grey too, which is why a WW2 Navy Jeep will be grey on the outside and still OD under the hood.

Spent 45 years in IT, and know what "Abend" means.

Edited by Oldpappy - 25 Feb. 2024 at 1:04am
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2024 at 10:03am
Originally posted by Abend Abend wrote:

... it wasn't really sensible to keep both.

You chose wisely Wink
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Abend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2024 at 10:57am
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

Very cool Jeep, especially with it having such a long family history !

Believe that story. The Navy certainly did buy CJ2As after the supply of WW2 Jeeps dried up, and paint them Navy Grey. During WW2 they would get standard Government issue MBs and GPWs that were painted OD, and paint those Grey too, which is why a WW2 Navy Jeep will be grey on the outside and still OD under the hood.

I believe it, but I've had some guys argue that it would have Navy plates if that were the case.  Even had one guy swear up and down that the Navy NEVER had any CJ-2As.  I just know what my grandpa always said and never really had any reason to doubt it.

Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

Spent 45 years in IT, and know what "Abend" means.
I'm coming up on 30 years myself, though I don't think you see that term very much anymore outside of the IBM world.  :)
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2024 at 11:00am
Great story!
Abend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2024 at 11:04am
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

You chose wisely Wink
Like I said, it was an easy choice, but it was still hard to part ways with a jeep I went through so much with.  That thing was a disaster from the moment I bought it, but it was really close to being fully rebuilt.  It's in my buddy's garage now, ready to get finished.  I'm hoping he can bring it to completion.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2024 at 12:13pm
"Even had one guy swear up and down that the Navy NEVER had any CJ-2As." 

That is a false assumption probably based on WW2 era procurements. The Navy, and the Airforce purchased CJ2As, and CJ3As as well as modified versions. 

As far as the tags go, those are very often missing, so I wouldn't put much stock in that. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2024 at 4:29pm
As far as missing tags, Once in the late 1970s, I bought 227 footlockers from a military auction. My aunt wanted ten of the wooden ones for a project for her unit of VFWs. 

It was a sealed bid auction. Since the footlockers came as lots of 50, I bid on each lot of 50 containing at least ten wooden ones. The last lot only had 27 & I bid on it as well. I won 227 lockers that day. Only 27 of them were not empty. 

Two of the semi-full ones had a crap load of those stainless steel tags & maybe twenty brass tags. The tags had not been installed on anything. They were filled out, but the rivet hole were pristine. I sold all the stainless ones to an Army-Navy surplus store & kept the brass ones. I may still have the brass ones. 

I think it is safe to assume that in the normal SNAFU way, the rigs, (not just Jeeps), had a tag assigned to each of them, but for some unknown reason they were never installed. 

For the curious, the other non-empty footlockers contained various equipment. A few tuna fish sized sealed cans had been filled with electronic parts. Relays, vacuum tubes & Zener diodes were some of the sealed parts. Some others had SPAM sized sealed cans of aviation parts. When I went to sell those, an Army representative bought them all. He went through all of the stuff I had left & bought about 2/3 of it back. He was very upset that, (his words), a *&^%^*&^ "Hippy" had been able to buy them at a surplus auction. I will say I was/am happy I had kept the receipts. No cuffs for me that day. He was extremely pissed off! 
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2024 at 5:28pm
I'll see if I can find the number of civilian Jeeps bought by the Gov't in 1945 era
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2024 at 8:08pm
Very nice looking rig.  I vote to keep the body as is.
 Also, that's one happy looking kid - I know I would be.
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2024 at 8:36pm
What a fantastic jeep and story!!
Thanks for sharing Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2024 at 8:45pm
S0C07, -822, -922

30 years for me this year. 

Bill

Edited by Bill Norris - 25 Feb. 2024 at 8:47pm
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
Abend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2024 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by dasvis dasvis wrote:

Very nice looking rig.  I vote to keep the body as is.

Thanks, after a lot of debate with myself, I'm thinking the same thing.  I'm planning to wash/scrub it down and use some matte wipe-on polyurethane (Poppy's Patina) to pretty much freeze it in place.  There's a very small amount of surface rust, so I want to keep that from spreading, protect the paint that's still there, but not change the overall look.  I wanted something on it so it doesn't rust any more than it has and so I can wash it off or get it wet without worrying.  The body is in overall good shape but it has enough bends and dents that it would look weird to put a fresh coat of paint over the whole thing without some expensive body work.  Once I get it all cleaned up of dirt/grime on the underside, I think I'll just hit it with Fluid Film and call it done.  This thing is full of character and family history, seems like a shame to erase that and turn it into a museum piece.
 Post Reply Post Reply