Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

bad out of the box.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronAge52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bad out of the box.
    Posted: 13 June 2018 at 7:25pm
I just bought a fuel/vacuum pump from rock auto. Its a Air tex pump which I thought were a good brand. It leaks gas bad out of the housing of the pump body.
any one else received pad pump out of box? what brand should I look for?
gearwrencher
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 7:30pm
I have a new Air Tex Fuel pump for my Fhead and the fuel pressure is way to high... started at 8 psi without a spacer and even with a spacer it's 6 psi. I added a second spacer and it's still 6 psi. Angry Doesn't leak though.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 10:10pm
i think you could use the old standard glass bowl pump and get vacuum off the intake manifold.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2018 at 3:33am
Vacuum off the manifold will not be constant when the throttle is opened which is why later engines used a vacuum/fuel pump combo. 
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Jeff_Davis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff_Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2018 at 3:19am
I prefer to use OEM AC pumps, that are built and matched to the application.  Willys AC pumps generally have pressures that are correct for use with Willys carbs, which saves the cost and complication of pressure regulators.

Find a good core (watch out for wear on the cam lobe lever face!) and buy a quality rebuild kit with modern ethanol proof seals and diaphragms.  I like the kits from Clasic Preservation Coalition, or Then and Now Automotive.   
Unlike carburetors, Combo pumps are a pretty straightforward bench re-build, that generally don't require special tools.  If the rebuild intimidates you, send your core off to somebody like Scout Pilot (OldJeepCarbs.com), or Then and Now.
This approach will beat a Chinese knockoff pump, every time.  And make your restoration more accurate and reliable.
Jeff
1947 Willys CJ2A Las Flores, Provinca de Buenos Aires, Argentina
1951 Willys M38 Flightline jeep (Southeast Florida)
1954 M-100 USMC Trailer
1954 FORD F-100 parts chaser, 292 V8 Y-Block
 Post Reply Post Reply