Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bad voltage regulator cj2a L134

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bad voltage regulator cj2a L134
    Posted: 26 May 2020 at 2:05am
Think my regulator went bad 6v stock L134 cj2a was fine before my head on collision last october now with new frame and front clip she's ready to drive again but now it isnt charging. New cloth repop wiring harness 5 years ago. Double checked charging wiring it's all good. Voltage at 6v started engine still 6v even if I rev it. Amp gauge shows draw with headlights but never charges.

Check ground at regulator it's good. Pulled cover off regulator and tried cleaning contacts. Still won't charge. Small rust trail inside regulator. Shouldnt the regulator be constantly  sparking with engine running?

Took wired off generator connected volt gauge to amp on genny and grounded the field of genny with a jumper, revving engine voltage jumped to around 30v seems to say genny is working.

Is there a way to test the regulator?
My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 3:11pm
If the charging system was taken apart after the collision, you will need to properly polarize the generator and regulator.
If the regulator is really bad, Standard Motor Parts VR2 is what you need.
BOULDER 48 2A
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 11:48pm
The generator is putting out 30 volts. It is good, it does not need polarizing. However it will not hurt anything to polarize it.

The diagnosis of a bad regulator is correct if the wiring, including the grounds, is/are in good condition.

If you have a good generator/starter/alternator repair shop local to you, they should have a regulator tester.
WorkInProgress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 6:44am
Yes I've verified the wiring and tight clean connections. Generator seems to be working. I ordered a new regulator today it should arrive tomorrow. I've also checked resistance on wires. And resistance to ground. Has good wires and good ground at regulator.and yes I've polarized it several times and no change

I do have a single old school starter repair shop near me but they are currently closed due to corona virus laws in my state. So I will slap in the new regulator tomorrow and I'm 99 percent sure that will fix it. But I kept fighting charging problems on another willys of mine that turned out to be 2 bad voltage regulators out of the box. Makes me check possibilities off my list when I throw a new part that still doesnt work lol
My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER
WorkInProgress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 4:13am
I picked up the new regulator today a VR2 made by standard. Installed and polarized. Amp gauge running with headlights on rev engine and gauge goes up to about 0 so no longer discharging. Battery is fully charged. Measured battery voltage not running it says 6.2v revving while running goes to 6.6v dont know what it should be on 6v but for a charged battery seems right?
My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 12:14pm
With a fully charged battery, that seems about right.  With the motor off, turn on your headlights for about 15 minutes. Then with the battery partially discharged, start it up and see if you get a more positive charge showing on your gauge.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2020 at 4:00am
What is the charge voltage when you rev over 800rpm?  At idle it will not charge.  Must rev over 800rpm for the cutoff coil to kick in and allow the genny to charge.
Lew Ladwig
President of the CFFC and IFFC
http://internationalflatfenderclub.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/#!/InternationalFlatFinderClub
 Post Reply Post Reply