Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bad weather

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bad weather
    Posted: 14 Mar. 2018 at 7:00pm
We've had a real stretch of bad weather out here . 3 Noreasters in 12 days, for the uninitiated a Noreaster is basically a hurricane . The first one had 105 mph winds, tons of rain and stretched through 3 hi tide cycles during a time of astronomical high tide , the coast line got hammered . Trees down everywhere ,people without power for over a week. Yesterday's came with a blizzard, some towns got 26 inches of snow ,I'm near the coast and got 12 inches of white concrete (heart attack snow). The one in between was a little of both . 1000s without power, some just got it back from the 1st storm. Believe it or not this is reasonably normal ,never a dull moment in good old New England . The pictures don't do it justice .
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2018 at 7:15pm
Yeah, we lost power in the first two stormsCry We were out for about 6 or 7 days total.... We have a portable gen and wood stove but its tough to manage them and still go to work.. We got 26.8" in our town from the second storm. I have the three little kids too, which makes it rough. Living in New England, or anywhere I guess, you must be prepared to help yourself. I really can't wait for spring.. February was such a tease, remember we almost reached 80 degrees on 02.21.18 Shocked

Edited by ggordon49 - 14 Mar. 2018 at 7:27pm
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2018 at 9:15pm
some reports are teeing up another one for Tuesday of next week. It's a real blast to be in the trucking business when this weather hits.... 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2018 at 9:15pm
The snow is a biatch, no doubt... the BIGGEST pita with losing the power, even bigger than the ejector pump for the septic system... is the sump pump.  Mine's been running since after the first storm, so losing power in the second storm sucked...  I have a generator, but babysitting that makes everything else difficult.  Now with the third storm dumping heavy wet snow I have to jump on the national grid outage site several times a day to see if I'm running home...

ready for spring
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2018 at 12:20pm
Luckily I don't any flooding problems and I'm on the only stretch of road in town that has town water. The snow took a piece of gutter off of my garage and my house is over 250 years old and it cools down real quick. I have a generator but I forget what it looks like, my son has had it for over 4 years .
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2018 at 12:45pm
yup...private well here, lol.  Past about 24 hrs the generator gets to run the chest freezer as well.  Im pretty good about stocking water ahead of storms, but...
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2018 at 9:26pm
We hooked on to town water 2 days after hurricane Bob,1990 I think. We thought the generator just wouldn't run the well pump, shallow well jet pump, the water here has a lot of iron and is hard on pumps. It turns out that the pump just picked that time to die , nothing to do with the power .
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2018 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by leecarr leecarr wrote:

We hooked on to town water 2 days after hurricane Bob,1990 I think....

1991 actually.  I remember it because we went out to New Hampshire to visit my brother-in-law right after Bob came through.  My 4 year old niece was amazed before we came how everyone on TV was talking about how her uncle was coming!
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2018 at 11:42pm
Wow, guess I shouldn't complain about the cold and little snow in MI. That street pic looks a lot like northern MI. I don't think there's any 250 yr old homes in the whole state. Good luck Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2018 at 5:50pm
You Guys ready for another one? AngryAngry Fourth nor'eastern in three weeks, Looks like we won't see 50 degrees until April Cry.... Yard is still covered in snow, can't even see the brown grass... This sucks!!!!
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2018 at 5:57pm
Sorry to hear that guys...only going to get up to 80 here today. Only a few darn clouds to block out the sun...Embarrassed
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2018 at 1:36pm
I'm in the 6-10 area ,at least my driveway is frozen this time, ripped it and my lawn all up last time. If it's 80 there now how hot is it in August ?
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2018 at 3:16pm
They're saying 10-14 of heavy wet stuff all in here, so I'm guessing 12 Wink  ...  sump pump has slowed but certainly not stopped.

I guess the only good part is that most of the weak limbs and wires have been culled at this point LOL

"Bring it".
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2018 at 3:48pm
LOL... 'bout 100+... 
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2018 at 9:52pm
Supposed to be 6-8 here now and my driveway has thawed again ,hope I don't have to plow in the morning . The temperature should never reach 3 digits, 80 a couple of times a summer I can handle ,I'm a big fan of 65, almost ready for shorts around here .
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2018 at 7:18am
Considering they were talking 10-14 here and my driveway is still bare as this winds down, I'm going to say this was a swing and a miss Thumbs Up
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2018 at 11:41am
Got lucky, 1/2 of slush. 
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2018 at 12:23pm
BUST!!! That's ok, I'm not complaining.... If we are in the 50's next week, I'm steeling the battery out of my Dads plow jeep and I'm going for a ride SmileSmile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>