Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ball repairing on Bell Crank like new!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christophe Chevalet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ball repairing on Bell Crank like new!
    Posted: 03 July 2017 at 12:40pm

Hello all
On this message I want just make congratulation to Joe De Young for the fantastic job he made on my Bell Crank for my CJ2A and my MB
Originally balls was very used and it was impossible to use them anymore.
Joe has replaced balls by a two new one and the result is perfect and I'm very happy for this nice job!
Bravo Joe fantastic job!
Thanks so much
Christopher

Edited by christophe Chevalet - 03 July 2017 at 12:42pm
Willys CJ2A VEC VIN 12121 1946
Willys MB "Slat Grill"VIN 105879 1941
Willys Jeepster 673VJ VIN 10403 1950
Willys Pick-up 4WD 6-226 1960
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2017 at 11:58pm
I need to look into that repair...
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 2:54am
Hey Paisano!, How does the ball stay on the shaft?.... or should I be asking Joe DeYoung? My mother was born in Rome, moved her at age 6, It's on the bucket list to visit the homeland maybe next yr. Joe Wadoyado
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 3:31am
Thanks for the kind words Christopher. Glad you're happy with the repair.

Unreliable... repaired bell cranks are available in the member created parts section of this forum.

Wadoyado.... the ball is machined to a .500 diameter post and decked .125 shorter. The replacement ball is machined with a .499 hole and pressed onto the bell crank. The remaining .125 pocket on the top is filled with weld.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

christophe Chevalet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christophe Chevalet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 7:01pm
Hello Joe
First let me wish you an great independence day!
Joe are you able to do the same job on the pitman arm on the Jeep steering?
The ball is little bite smaller?
Because I'm restoring the steering of my Slat Grill Jeep and the Pitman arm is original but completely used!

Thanks
Christophe   
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 10:22pm
Christophe, I must apologize, I've read all of your very impressive posts but have to admit I got your mixed up with a guy from Italy on the form....your avatars are similar and perhaps a little independence day celebrating. Sorry about the mix-up. Joe Wadoyado.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
christophe Chevalet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christophe Chevalet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2017 at 8:55pm
Hello Joe
I would like to ask you one question about the steering component.
Are you able to repair the ball of the pitman arm for Jeep?
The ball are little bite smaller than the bell crank.
Thanks
Christopher

wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2017 at 12:49am
Hello Christopher, My cousin owns a tool & die shop and just bought an additional 2 almost new CNC mills and a CNC lathe/mill combo. I spoke to him about repairing your pitman arm. We agreed it could be TIG welded, annealed so it could be machined( would require a special cutter) then heat treated to restore proper hardness. The next time I do welding for him I'll try and get specific info as to cost of the cutter(the only cost I'd be concerned with) heat treating is relatively cheap, labor I can barter for. Can't say when but I'm working on it. I'll let you know if it's cost preventive. Bravo! on the trip through the Alps (another thread) Joe Wadoyado
Bill M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2017 at 1:31am
That looks very good. Is the ball originally hardened? What is the material of the replacement ball?
cheers
Bill
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2017 at 6:47am
you can get the dope on Joe DeYoung's great bell crank repair here:

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Bill M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2017 at 1:34pm
Thank you smfulle.
 Post Reply Post Reply