Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Bam Bam and Grampa’s Jeep climb Rose Garden Hill
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bam Bam and Grampa’s Jeep climb Rose Garden Hill

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bam Bam and Grampa’s Jeep climb Rose Garden Hill
    Posted: 09 Apr. 2021 at 6:52am
This is a fun climb that is part of a beautiful trail system Nort East of Moab.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2021 at 7:48am
It's rated as one of the tougher trails out there. Happy you made it.
john
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2021 at 11:53pm
We also shot some beautiful footage of Onion Creek and Delores Overlook.   For those who don’t know. Onion Creek is the trail that runs in the canyon below Top of the World. If you think it looks impressive from TOTW, you should see it from the bottom. It’s wonderful. Great day. Thanks for posting!!
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2021 at 12:09am
I looked at a map fora name for Onion Creek. We just called it Power Pole Valley.
john
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2021 at 1:08am
Originally posted by uncamoney uncamoney wrote:

I looked at a map fora name for Onion Creek. We just called it Power Pole Valley.

Apple Maps search for Onion Creek road:

https://maps.apple.com/?address=Onion%20Creek%20Rd,%20Moab,%20UT%20%2084532,%20United%20States&ll=38.704312,-109.296135&q=Onion%20Creek%20Rd&_ext=EiYppsge4pNZQ0AxyKI2L1JTW8A5JJ5EPrpaQ0BBCla3lZVSW8BQBA%3D%3D&t=m

Google Maps:

Lower Onion Creek Campground

https://goo.gl/maps/3ZocGqegCMMQU86GA

Apple Maps Search for “Power Pole Valley Moab Utah”

Google Maps:

Edited by jpet - 10 Apr. 2021 at 1:09am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2021 at 2:44pm
The double whammy made me think of the B-52's. "Come on Stanny, throw me that Whammy!." 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2021 at 3:11pm
Here is a video of the entire trip. Onion Creek to Rose Garden Hill, to Delores Overlook, then back to the Dewey Bridge via Kokopelli Trail. The video is a little long. It starts with Onion Creek. Rose Garden Hill is at 13:08. Delores River is 22:38

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2021 at 5:38pm
So it looks like you went in on Onion Creek Road off highway 128, a little ways south of where you turn off 128 for Top of the World.  Is that right?

It also looks like the Rose Garden Hill trail loops all the way around Top of the World, coming out on the gravel "road" that runs from highway 128 up to the Top of the World trailhead.  Did you do the entire loop or go back out the way you went in?

And for what it's worth, looking at Google Maps (which you may have already done since making that video) it looks like the Dolores Overlook must be looking over the Dolores River.  I'm thinking that road you were wondering about is probably 4 1/10 road out of Gateway Colorado (a search of Google Maps for 4 1/10 road will find it).  I can't tell if it makes it out to highway 128 and the Colorado River or not.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2021 at 1:16am
Originally posted by Nothing Special Nothing Special wrote:

So it looks like you went in on Onion Creek Road off highway 128, a little ways south of where you turn off 128 for Top of the World.  Is that right?

It also looks like the Rose Garden Hill trail loops all the way around Top of the World, coming out on the gravel "road" that runs from highway 128 up to the Top of the World trailhead.  Did you do the entire loop or go back out the way you went in?

And for what it's worth, looking at Google Maps (which you may have already done since making that video) it looks like the Dolores Overlook must be looking over the Dolores River.  I'm thinking that road you were wondering about is probably 4 1/10 road out of Gateway Colorado (a search of Google Maps for 4 1/10 road will find it).  I can't tell if it makes it out to highway 128 and the Colorado River or not.

Yes, Yes. and Yes

We started on Onion Creek Rd which is 20 miles from Moab on 128.   On Google Maps, the road is called BLM 100 or Rose Garden Safari Rte. the road crosses Onion Creek several times. The road splits at Fisher Creek. Rose Garden Safari Rte goes left and BLM 100 continues right. Dolores Overlook was an in and out off-shoot from the Rose Garden Safari Rte road. We did the entire loop that comes out at the TOTW entrance and eventually comes back to 128 at the Dewey Bridge which is 10 miles up the road from the Onion Creek Rd.

You are right. That road is 4 1/10 which starts in Geteway CO. ... next time
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2021 at 2:42am
Wow, that's an impressive climb.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2021 at 3:09am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Yes, Yes. and Yes.... 

Thanks!  That one's on my list for some future Moab trip!
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2021 at 1:12am
Hey jpet.  What is the name brand of your car trailer and the length of it? 
Mark
1946 CJ2A
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2021 at 6:53pm
I found this picture and I thought I’d post it for clarity on the relationship between Onion Creek trail and Top of the World trail

Here is the Onion Creek trail heading into Fisher valley. I think the mesa that the trail comes to is called Beaver Mesa. You can continue right, or go left to Rose Garden Hill

This is what the TOTW overlook looks like from Onion Creek trail:

The overlook is towards the end of the red rock portion of Onion Creek.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2021 at 9:46pm
Wow, awesome perspective!
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
 Post Reply Post Reply