Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Bam Bam & Grampa’s Jeep in Pritchett Canyon ....
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bam Bam & Grampa’s Jeep in Pritchett Canyon ....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bam Bam & Grampa’s Jeep in Pritchett Canyon ....
    Posted: 11 Nov. 2018 at 8:38am
Jpet invited me to his little birthday Shindig down in Moab’s Pritchett Canyon.

We got a few pics and vids that we will post up, but Jeff is rolling back to Illinois right now and I am in a hotel room in Moab heading home in the morning.

Here’s a couple of teaser pics of us on Axle Hill.

My picture capturing skill is weak, but Jeff has two tires in the air right here.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2018 at 12:59pm
What a great birthday gathering for Jpet!  Great pic of BAM BAM  Stan!!!

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2018 at 3:51pm
Great pictures and an awesome way to spend a birthday!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2018 at 4:14pm
I’m traveling home now but here is a video of us on Rocker Knocker:

CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2018 at 6:18am
Here's a little video of my climb up Axle Hill. 

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2018 at 2:00pm
Keep those videos of this trail coming. I’m trying to armchair this obstacle and need some more perspective so I can pick my line 😉
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2018 at 2:12pm
That was so much fun to watch! Jeff Melissa, Rory, and the rest of the Moab Friends for Wheelin' club had a great time watching and spotting us!! As Stan said in his video, the traction wasn't as good as the last time we were there when the temperature reached 100 degrees. After watching Stan, I went to a higher gear to go up it, but that always makes my front end bounce. (see Stan's photo).

When I get my ducks in a row, I will post a video of BAM BAM in the "un-cut" format like Stan did.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2018 at 6:02pm
Here is some video of BAM BAM on Son of Rock Pile:

The video is un-cut so this is what it took to get over the ledge.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2018 at 7:25pm
Stan & (Grampa's JEEP) and Jpet & (Bam Bam) REALLY ROCK.
I wish I had the nerve you guys have to run your great machines through the paces you guys do. Your videos should have a warning label for the faint of heart.
I applaud you guys and you truly rock!

Edited by 3-48s - 12 Nov. 2018 at 7:28pm
1945 CJ2A #10536
1948 CJ2A #176528 "Elmer"
1948 CJ2A #155970 "Gray Mule"
1948 CJ2A #155365 "Old Yeller" (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2018 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by 3-48s 3-48s wrote:

... I wish I had the nerve you guys have to run your great machines through the paces you guys do. ...
It is nerve racking for me too Greg. If it weren't there would be no point Here are some pics of Chewy Hill:

The first time I saw this during EJS, I was thinking, "how do you get up THAT?!" Just to get to it, you have to drop down off a ledge that scared me. Having Brian and Fuzz there makes it easier because I have confidence in them. Also, Stan likes to go first so I get to see a preview before I even attempt. The second time I saw the obstacle in Sept, the ledge you drop off of did not look so steep and Chewy looked doable to me... and it must have been because we did it thanks to Brian's coaching. This trip, everything just looked smaller and easier. I would rather not do this trail without at least one long wheel based, vehicle with larger tires and a winch, just to be on the safe side, but having done the trail twice now, I feel that Stan and I could do the trail by ourselves and we would know what to do. Not sure how he feels about it.

Edit: If anyone attempts this trail in a similar locker/stocker, I believe it would be to your advantage to attempt it on a hotter day. Maybe not 100 degrees like when we did it in September, but there was noticeably less traction this time. I think the temps were in the 40's that time of day. Maybe less.

Edited by jpet - 12 Nov. 2018 at 8:17pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2018 at 9:02pm
Yellow Hill:

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2018 at 9:03pm
Jpet
Bring a bunch of that dry weather with you to Windrock in Dec! Great videos for sure!!!

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2018 at 9:11pm
I'm not sure how easy it would be to climb a hill like that in the East even on a dry day!
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2018 at 1:32am
Clap  WOW
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2018 at 3:51am
Very impressive Stan and Jeff!  You got me thinking Gus and I can do it (but only with a set of monkey bars😉)!  That’s also easy to say 650 miles from the obstacle 😁
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2018 at 5:12am
Great videos guys!!
I'm glad you made it without significant damages. Next summer I'm going to Moab, Rubicon and Colorado with some buddies so I've been watching all your videos learning the trails.

Personally when I'm on the trail, I can't stand spotters but do understand their necessity in a bad situation. When I was watching your video, I instantly recognized the spotter's voice from an old one. Spotters can be helpful... but always trust your instincts.

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2018 at 8:24am
Anyone who attempts a trail like this should be prepared for the fact that they might roll over. The driver is in charge of all roll overs, not the spotter. If you are not willing to chance a rollover you should not attempt this trail, or you should use a winch line. That being said, I already knew what to do on Rocker Knocker.   I have seen the video of the JK rollover and personally, I don’t think that was Melissa’s fault. She had him on the right line. That is the way the obstacle is done. The driver lacked confidence and was 100% dependent on a spotter who he didn’t know on a trail he had never done. That’s on him, not her.   On Son of Rock Pile, I’m sure I could have walked the obstacle had I stacked the rocks differently, but I was not afraid of a rollover in that spot. If I roll, I roll. If I would have been at the top of axle hill where the roll would be severe, I would not have even tried to bully my way up like that. I loved the tail stand on Son of Rock Pile and I not afraid to do it again.

I didn’t think the comments on Melissa in the JK video were fair and I hope nobody does that in my videos. I will not allow comments like those to pile up in my videos.

Edited by jpet - 13 Nov. 2018 at 8:38am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2018 at 11:10am
Looks like the right line for a short wheelbase. But not the right line for longer with the rear still climbing. It's been forever since I've done the trail. so maybe it changed with erosion and use. 

Nonetheless, driver owns it. Ultimately it's up to him. He should have felt very unsteady. Being told to climb higher in that instance should have warned him of the impending doom. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>