Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Your project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bantam #7760 project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bantam #7760 project
    Posted: 15 Nov. 2012 at 2:36pm
I just bought Bantam T3-C #7760 a few weeks ago off a Craigslist ad close to my home in NE Ohio.It is in good condition and my main purpose is to have a durable trailer to use for camping and hunting trips and for some light utility stuff.I bought it off the original owners son which was brought brand new back in 1948.This trailer has last seen the pavement in 1995 and has been in a shed for the last 17 years.

Overall when we pulled it out of the shed it was in good shape,,, there was a few larger holes in the floor that will have to be fixed but overall I was very pleased what I saw.The trailer had all original equipment including the tires and also included wooden stake sides that his father had made back in the day.

My first look at my Bantam buried in a shed

After pulling it out and getting ready to tow her home....added some air to the tires and away we went.It was only about a 1 1/2 hr drive home and we stopped to check the hubs a few times but she towed and made the trip just fine.

Now that I got her home my main purpose is to have a nice durable trailer to pull behind my jeep when we go on hunting/camping trips and for general use.My intent is to make the trailer useable and to stay within a tight budget doing all the work myself if at all possible.I will add that I have never done any kind of body work and this is a fly by the seat of my pants kinda project.Hopefully with the help of the forum it will come out half way decent.

My trailer before the disassembly.

I have a friend that has a sandblaster and for a 30 pack of Natural light and a 5th of Maddog I was able to convince him to let me use his sandblaster and strip the old paint off.

His sandblaster worked ok but we did have some faulty equipment issues and ended up running out of daylight before we were able to blast the entire trailer.

Once back to my place I decided to take the leaf springs,axle and mounts off and blast them with a wheelabrator shot blaster to clean them up.The shot blaster did a great job on them and I took them home and sprayed them with primer that I got from Tractor Supply co... Majic truck,trailer and implement red oxide primer.

I wasn't happy with the sandblasting outcome so I decided to get a wire wheel and hand grinder and hit the entire body and completely get all the paint off of the trailer.

This was a little time consuming but it took off all the old paint and exposed any pitting that the trailer has.

The sides are completely done and I will be doing the bottom within the next few days as soon as I buy another wire wheel,,,, wore the first one out.When it's completely stripped of paint I believe my next step will be filling in the pitting with body filler and sanding it down before coating the tub with primer.

More to come as I progress with this project.
wrdabney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrdabney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2012 at 3:00pm
Looks like a great project.  That arrow lamp looks to be in great shape. 
TnFFC facebook page
President, TnFFC
Tennesseeflatfenderclub@yahoo.com
'47 T3-C # 23839
'48 CJ2A Body tag # 20xx52
Kdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2012 at 4:19pm
The lens was cracked when I disassembled it where the screw went through the glass.i was able to superglue the cracked piece and u cannot see the crack when it is reassembled.The body and lens cap have some pitting that was revealed once I sandblasted it but those will fill in with body filler and sanded down.Hopefully I get the light rewired and working,all the hardware was there,,, bulbs,springs etc.

48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2012 at 4:27pm
Lookin GoodThumbs Up
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
WRMorrison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRMorrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2012 at 5:31pm
Wheelabrators are pretty cool; I used to run one when I lived in IL.  The trailer is looking good!

-WRM
Kdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2012 at 12:45am
Was able to patch a section of the floor and get the tub primed before any surface rust started appearing.

Also put a second coat of primer on the axle,leaf springs etc.

With winter just around the corner and temps steadily in the 40s i dont think i will get an opportunity to paint the trailer before spring.I got a little lucky today and tomorrow with temps reaching almost 60 so i made sure i got some primer on it while the opportunity presented itself.

Also ordered shackles,pivot bolts,u bolts and lug nuts from Ron Franklin and founf locally where i can get 6.00 x 16 NDT tires.
Kdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2012 at 3:18pm
Just a little update...decided to paint the underside and inside bed with a product called Chasis Saver.You can apply this self leveling paint directly to rust and it totally seals it.Never seen a paint/coating quite like this.It dries to a very hard yet flexile finish and im quite confident this trailer will never see rust again where this paint was applied.I got one coat on the underside and all the underside hardware and inside the tub.The second coat is going on today.

Also got my C shackles, U bolts, and other underside hardware from ron Fitzgerald.
Kdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2013 at 10:47pm
Now that the weather is warming and I can spend some time back in the garage without freezing I got after it again.Mounted the new shackles on the leaf springs and got the axle back on.Will be painting the wheels..buying non directional tires and ordering the paint for the body soon.
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2013 at 11:00pm
Set yourself a goal...

You need to come to the Spring Willys Reunion in Hudson and bring your Bantam!
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
45 T3-C #191 Project
Kdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2013 at 2:27am
Hudson Ohio??

,,,,and heres a few pics i took today.

Kdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2013 at 2:49am
Just got applying the Monstaliner apocalypse orange bedliner to the outside of the trailer....have to wait for it to cure before I put the new tires and painted wheels on it and to flip it back over.In the meantime I need to get the taillight painted and put back together.

48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2013 at 4:15pm
Yes, Hudson, OH May 17-19
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
45 T3-C #191 Project
Kdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2013 at 9:15am

Still have to get the tail light back together and paint the wheels to better match the jeep.
Kdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 3:52pm
My Bantam serial #7760 is nearly complete...Just replaced the original arrow taillight with a led model A taillight just because the arrow needed work and I need to get this trailer completed.Also installed a new wiring harness to go with it.I will be redoing the bearings and seals soon and have a canvas top being made to go over the stake sides via chuckwagon style.Heres a few updated pics.

Divinitous View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divinitous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 4:24pm
Looks nice, great work.  Nice JK as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply