Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bantam after Sandblasting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thidisbogus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bantam after Sandblasting
    Posted: 28 Dec. 2010 at 7:05am

I know there is going to have to be some repair work.  Can you take a look and let me know if the rust through visible can be patched or should entire new sections be welded in?  Any advice is appreciated from you experienced with trailers.

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showgallery.php?cat=2650

rrivera1833 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrivera1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2010 at 11:49am
I and many others on here have started with the same condition or worse. It is a lot of work but well worth it.

Edited by rrivera1833 - 28 Dec. 2010 at 1:23pm
2nd LT Rivera/ SSgt Rivera USMC

48 CJ2A
T3-C Bantam #655
ndrtkr View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndrtkr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2010 at 12:07pm
I'd leave it as is, and use it to strain spaghetti noodles thru LOL!....just kiddin!...I've seen better, but I've seen a whole lot worse also.  It appears there is nothing there that can't be patched or filled.  It will never be as solid as replacing the entire panel, but can be made to look nice.  It all depends on your level of skill or finding someone (auto body shop) that's willing to help.  Nice trailer! & keep us posted!
"Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid"- John Wayne
Randy Snyder View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Snyder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2010 at 4:51pm
Replace the floor.   You will need to disassemble the sides from the frame.  You might be able to keep the three sides intact (together) after you have drilled out the spot welds and bead welds.
That would leave the frame exposed and you can take care of the frame properly.  My 2 cents.  Your side look to be in very good shape.   Did you have any fenders?  I assume the one photo of the ground is showing a portion of the tailgate.

Randy
'46 2A #13943

'46 2A #26236

'45 T3-C #436

Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2010 at 5:28pm
I agree with Randy on this one.  I think you should replace the floor.  That is of course if it is in your budget to do so.  Then as Randy stated you can repair your frame where it needs attention.  
Randy,
You can see his fenders on the last picture.

Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
thidisbogus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thidisbogus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2010 at 8:47pm
"I'd leave it as is, and use it to strain spaghetti noodles thru"---Now that made me laugh!

Are there repor floors available for purchase that can be just spot welded in?  Thank you very much for the advice.  I just drill the existing spot welds that attach to the lower insides of the side walls and the frame, correct?
If repro floor is available can you please attach a link?
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Snyder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2010 at 5:00am
D & l Bensinger  https://www.dlbensinger.com/index.php?cPath=51_71
Sides come off, then the floor.   Replace in reverse order.   Somewhere I saw a post for the locations of all the welds.  Can't remember where.....probably at Jeepdraw.

Randy
'46 2A #13943

'46 2A #26236

'45 T3-C #436

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Snyder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2010 at 5:04am
'46 2A #13943

'46 2A #26236

'45 T3-C #436

ndrtkr View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndrtkr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2011 at 3:53am
..so I see you've decided to sell as opposed to repair?  ...Shocked
"Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid"- John Wayne
thidisbogus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thidisbogus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2011 at 5:23am
Yes unfortunately.  The GPW is turning into a much more involved project than I anticipated, drawing funds, labor and space.  I am basically going to have to pull the body from the frame and install a new wiring harness, pull the transmission and spray paint the engine and frame among many other things.  I simply don't have the space in the garage to store all the pieces.  The trailer is right there in the way.  I don't want to keep it outside or it will just rust away.  I would rather it go to a good home and I will have to revisit the trailer Lord willing later.
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2011 at 4:08pm
Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
 Post Reply Post Reply