Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bantam axle swap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bantam axle swap
    Posted: 27 Feb. 2010 at 5:18pm
I have no real history on this trailer, I'm using it to haul camp gear and the occassional load of mulch behind the TJ. Restoring this trailer is not my intent. Making it safe and usable is.

Due to wheel hubs that have been machined with mis-matched bearings and seals, also one side of the axle shaft is badly damaged and the spring paks look a little rough I was thinking of a new axle with springs that would still accept my original wheels.
Can I get an aftermarket axle/spring? Should this trailer have shocks on it? Thanks in advance, here's a couple of pictures.

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2010 at 6:19pm
You should be able to special order an axle with jeep pattern hubs from Redneck trailer supply, They get theirs from Dexter.  But.......there are enough rotted out trailers around you might find a good used one for less. Try posting a wanted ad here, and willys tech and g 503 boards..
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

AndyW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2010 at 6:57pm
Thank you sir. I'll give that a try
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2010 at 11:38pm
I would try to find a Bantam axle somewhere. That trailer is an investment that will continue to rise in value provided it is properly maintained. To install some other trailer axle in it would severly lower it's value. That may not seem important to you today but someday you may want/need to sell it and could end up kicking yourself. Just my $.02.

Larry
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2010 at 11:53pm
I've got an M100 axle, but I am not sure if they are the same length.

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
AndyW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2010 at 4:38am
Thanks Larry, I hope to find another bantam axle.

Russnj, I'm not sure if that axle would work.....maybe someone on the site may know. If it is and the price is right NJ is only a few hours away.
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2010 at 1:52am
I will do some measuring tomorrow night and compare against my Bantam. If you are not in a big hurry I should be going to the Aberdeen show.

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
AndyW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2010 at 12:53am
No I'm not in too much of a hurry, where's this aberdeen show?
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2010 at 1:18am
 Post Reply Post Reply