Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bantam BTC 3 Trailer Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bantam BTC 3 Trailer Questions
    Posted: 11 Nov. 2007 at 6:56am

Hey Folks.

Confused Should there be a data plate on this trailer, and if so, where would it be located?

The wheels have been um, "modified". All we can figure is that the original ones must have rusted out badly, so the PO took the centers of the rusted ones and welded them onto different rims. Wacko Let's just say that they would be OK around a farm, but NOT for the road. 

Did this trailer have CJ2A rims originally, and what would be correct, solid or slotted?

I'll post pics of it soon.

Be well,
Richard
'87 YJ Laredo My DD
'02 TJ X Fiancee's DD, and our Trail Rig
'65 M-416 Trailer

Live each day as if it were your last, 'cause you just never know.....
Oakes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2007 at 1:26pm

The earliest civilian Bantam trailers used the combat rims untill they ran out. Then they, like the earliest CJ2A's, used the 4.5" double 90 degree shoulder solid disc rims until they ran out. They then ended up w/ the regular 16" slotted civi KH rims like the later 2A's. 

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES, THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS
RichardD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2007 at 2:06pm
Thanks BILL, I figured it was like that, but wanted to be sure.

What years were they produced? Also, should it have a data plate, and  if so, where on the trailer should it be?
trader_reed View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2007 at 2:20pm
They had two styles of data plates the first ones where cut down military Bantam data plates that's why they had a funny shape. Later trailers got a proper data plate that was close to the shape of the others.

It was located on the drivers side if you will, front panel near the tube. Locations also changed but only slightly. I've got a photo somewhere, I'll look and post it.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2007 at 2:35pm
I looked but because of a hard drive failure I've lost tons of good photos Cry

I've still a few of my old Bantam but none of the data plate. Heres one of the hitch the data plate is just out of frame. I've got a few more if you like.

RichardD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2007 at 2:47pm
Thanks for the info Matt.  I actually needed a good picture of the tongue, as this one has been "modified" so that worked out too!  I have the feeling that this one doesn't have a plate then.

Question Is there any information on what years they were produced and the numbers within each year?  And, is there a way to determine what year it is by looking at it?

Be well,
Richard

Edited by RichardD - 11 Nov. 2007 at 2:49pm
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2007 at 3:00pm
Richard, you do know about this site, right?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
RichardD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2007 at 3:07pm
Thanks ROC, I remembered seeing that before , but had no idea where I saw it.  Saved it this time.....

Be well,
Richard

Edited by RichardD - 11 Nov. 2007 at 3:07pm
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2007 at 5:01pm
Here are a few more you asked for Richard, I'll post'em up here for all to see.

That's all I've got left Cry
RichardD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2007 at 11:11pm

Thanks for posting more pics Matt.  Nice looking trailer, and you know I love your 2A.

Be well, Richard

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2007 at 1:07am
No problem! That was a sweet trailer, it was really clean the original owner kept it garaged most of life. I'd no need for it so I sold it. It'd been painted once, I lightly sanded the rear panel to reveal the Bantam logo and just filled it in with white paint. Thanks for the compliment on my "black beauty" as Gary has nicknamed it.
jeepfreak81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepfreak81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2007 at 3:54pm
http://www.boyink.com/splaat/bantam-trailer-comments/dataplate-restoration/

I think this is the later data plate
1st Jeep, V8 YJ, A winch and a Foot... Trail Tested

2nd Jeep 1946 CJ2A 6 Cylinders - Time Tested and wheeled

2008 Hummer H3

1929 Model A Standard Coupe

1966 M416
gwalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2007 at 6:04pm
look on yahoo groups its  yahoo groups 'bantam trailers'
M-715
 Post Reply Post Reply