Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bantam or M416 max tire diameter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jw60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2020 at 8:12pm
where you rest the beer on those round fenders?

the m416 fenders would need the brackets on the tub reworked to replace the round fenders.
Personally I believe the m416 is a better trailer frame. Shocks and parking brake would be hard to add to a tc-3 but then a ball hitch and tailgate weren't easy to add either.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2020 at 9:29pm
No experience but I think I prefer the Bantam T3-C over all the others.
For one thing I like the history behind it.
And I believe it would serve my need as a versitile trailer.
Part time conestoga camper and part time firewood duty.

If I’m not mistaken the 416 is a little wider than the flat fender jeeps.

I actually somewhat prefer the T3 pintle hitch.
The pintle better handles extreme off road angles and it’s less likely that someone tows it off when your not hitched up.

I might prefer changing the fenders for something else like Willys PU fenders of whatever is flat and looks right but that’s not a big deal.

Yes I would certainly like to have T3 trailer brakes at times like when I use it as a conestoga camper.
And the T3 shocks might be a big plus too.

So which makes more sense.... modify a Bantam T3 by installing a tailgate or add shocks, brakes and pintle eye to a T3-C ?

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2020 at 1:10am
Ken,

Unless the T3 is beyond its value and required a lot of refab of its original tub I would not modify one. They are getting very hard to find in original condition. I'd modify an M100 or M416 tub first.

Adding a lunette to a T3-C could very easily be reversed (its just a bolt on piece) but original MBT and T3 lunettes and castings can be expensive.

If you do not have one but do have the welding skills, I have one a PO cut off the ring and welded on a coupler that could be cut off and reworked to accept the ring again.

I'd have to look to see if I have a T3/MBT casting rat holed.

Brakes again are just bolt on as are the shock mounts.

Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2020 at 2:20am
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

Looking at pics it appears to me that the Bantam fenders are at 32” radius. 
Can someone verify the Bantam fender radius ?

I made a template out of thick cardboard to the diameter of the 7.50x16 NDTs.   It was used for laying out the rear gas/tire rack.    I keep moving that cardboard around,   thinking I should just throw it away.

Glad I did not LOL,  I will compare it to my 2 Bantams this evening.   I don't remember the exact diameter,  but will share the measurement also.  It should be close to 32"

I am not sure how much this helps,  but this is the result of comparing template to one Bantam fender.  

This photo shows the inside of fender lip,  compared to a 15" radius (30 diameter) pencil line.   It appears this fender was tweaked at some point,  because it is not perfectly "round"

Template is 32" diameter,  although a little rough.   This photo shows it compared to outside of fender.

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2020 at 2:46am
Art thanks for the suggestions. 
I believe either the T3-C or M100 will best suite my needs.
I will want to add bow pockets if I find an M 100.
Always thinking ahead so I’ll wait’n see which one shows up first.

Jeep fever, that’s exactly what I was expecting and hoping to see.
Looks like max tire diameter is 32” or 7.50 x 16”.
Now I can rest assured that I can swap trailer tires with my jeeps.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2021 at 8:53pm
Here is a picture of my M100 fitted with 7.50-16 NDTs. I typically have 7.00-16s on it but I had it loaded down with Sheetrock I had tore out of a room in the house. The solid waste transfer station I had to haul the old drywall to is about 15 miles away and I didn’t trust the old dry rotted tires that were on it so I bolted on my Jeep spare and one off the Jeep. I forgot to take a picture of the trailer loaded down but according to the scale at the transfer station it had 1300 lbs on it and I had no rubbing at all traveling 45 mph.

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12