Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Your project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bantam T3-C rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote casualthursday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bantam T3-C rebuild
    Posted: 01 Nov. 2014 at 1:59am
Hey everyone,

I picked up a Bantam T3-C at an auction in late July and wanted to share my progress so far. The data plate shows Serial #6708, the title lists it as a 1948... although I would like to get some confirmation of this.

Please enjoy my posts as I update them, I'm learning a lot along the way.

Here's my "barn find" on the day of the auction:

'48 Bantam T3-C
'14 Wrangler JKU
casualthursday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote casualthursday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2014 at 2:02am
I decided that I must have it (while completely ignoring what my wife thinks I should have).... and won the auction for it. I had the seller air up the tires and made the 40-ish mile trip to a friends house to let the trailer sit while I ordered proper tires/tubes.

'48 Bantam T3-C
'14 Wrangler JKU

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote casualthursday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2014 at 2:10am
I received the proper tires and had them mounted/balanced. 

Then I broke down the bows/rack/canvas and sold them to a fellow forum member for his project. My plans did not include these items.

I learned a valuable lesson while handling these old trailer parts... BE CAREFUL. The lens was a total loss and had to make a quick trip to Auto Zone.

'48 Bantam T3-C
'14 Wrangler JKU
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2014 at 11:46am
Congrats!
Looks like you got a pretty complete trailer. Looking at a few production changes and the database I think its actually a 1946. Back then if dealers had any left over stock they tended to title in the sale year rather than production year. But the database is only a best guess as well because there is no official production data to begin with.

As for the lens, that's not an original Bantam item so no harm.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote casualthursday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2014 at 1:44am
More updates.....

Pulled the fenders off. Took a lot of PB blaster and even a cutoff wheel.

Old and rotten floor panel before, during removal and after....

'48 Bantam T3-C
'14 Wrangler JKU
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2014 at 4:48am
casualthursday....Nice to see progress on your trailer.  What are your plans for the floor of your trailer?  Repro panel or something else, perhaps?

I think I might have been the one who purchased your rack setup Thumbs Up  Thanks so much in advance!!!!

Joel
Once a Marine!, Always a Marine!, Semper Fi! - Combat Wounded Vet, Desert Storm/Desert Shield - Persian Gulf 1992

E-mail: canorisa@msn.com

1940's Bantam T3-C

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote casualthursday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2014 at 1:29pm
Hey Joel,

We welded diamond plate steel along with an additional cross-brace in a few weeks ago. I've since cleaned up the frame and bed-lined it.

More pics will be posted tonight..... stay tuned!

-Brian
'48 Bantam T3-C
'14 Wrangler JKU
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2014 at 10:14pm
Hey Brian:

Nice to hear from you guy.  Good to hear you are making progress on your build.  I bet that diamond plate piece must of ran you some money, huh.  Well, I hope she looks good.  Please do post some pictures of her now.  Would love to see the new looks.

Joel
Once a Marine!, Always a Marine!, Semper Fi! - Combat Wounded Vet, Desert Storm/Desert Shield - Persian Gulf 1992

1940's Bantam T3-C

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote casualthursday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2014 at 2:22am
Joel, you're right.... $200 for the sheet metal (nearly 1/3 of the purchase price of my trailer).

More picture updates:

Additional frame floor support being welded in:

Cleaning up and bedlining the frame, then cutting out more rotten parts and priming:

Stripped and bedlined the fenders. Also got new fender hardware and bedlined that:

'48 Bantam T3-C
'14 Wrangler JKU
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2014 at 2:45am
Ouch!!!! $200 for sheet metal is quite steep but then again it could have been worse.  If you don't mind me asking, what other goodies are you adding to this trailer build?  A RTT perhaps?  How are you stripping off the old paint and rust?  Sandblasting, wire wheel, or what?  Are you going to paint her to match your Jeep?

Cool beans!,

Joel

1940's Bantam T3-C

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote casualthursday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2014 at 2:52am
My plans are just to get it cleaned up and painted for now. I want to add some modern (and tasteful) taillights along with some longer safety chains. Then I would like to add some cross beams to haul my kayak.

As for stripping old paint, I'm using a mix of sanding discs and wire wheels. I'm finding the "quick strip" discs work well, but don't last too long. Seems the sanding discs work the best and wire wheels get those hard to reach spots.

I plan to have a fried color match it to my 2014 Wrangler (in Granite Crystal). We have both agreed that there will be some sort of airbrush design on the tailgate as a homage to our country and/or service members.
'48 Bantam T3-C
'14 Wrangler JKU

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote casualthursday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2014 at 5:17pm
So I've been looking at a lot of the other TC-3s posted on the Bantam site.... it looks like the angle iron on the rear of my trailer is not stock. Can someone confirm this?

What the consensus... should I cut this off or leave it? 
'48 Bantam T3-C
'14 Wrangler JKU
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2014 at 5:51pm
You are correct the two angled uprights and the lower angle iron pieces are not correct.

I would remove them if it were mine.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
45 T3-C #191 Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote casualthursday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2014 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by 48cj2a 48cj2a wrote:

You are correct the two angled uprights and the lower angle iron pieces are not correct.

I would remove them if it were mine.

I agree with you.... but after further inspection it looks like I'm missing a slice of the bottom panel.
'48 Bantam T3-C
'14 Wrangler JKU
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2014 at 9:25pm
The majority of the panels are just straight sheet metal and easily patched in. The rear cross member is also just sheet metal bent to create a "C" channel and if needed could be made by most sheet metal shops.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
45 T3-C #191 Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote casualthursday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2014 at 3:38am
Another update after the long weekend:

New floor is in!

Removed all of the old tail lamp hardware to make way for the new stuff:

Mocking up and drilling for the new tail lamps:

Let there be light!!!!

'48 Bantam T3-C
'14 Wrangler JKU

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote casualthursday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2014 at 3:48am
So this is the post where the Bantam purists get mad at me. The tailgate was in very bad shape....and I had extra diamond plate.... and my brother-in-law was in a welding mood.

Old gate off and ready for surgery. Bye-bye old tailgate skin:

We ended up using the original side frame edges, but buying new angle iron for the bottom and top edges. 

Mocking up the new tailgate frame:

Traced the new frame and subtracted a 1/2 inch to retain the original design:

Tacked on the rest of the body:

Bedlined (for now) and finishing the hinges:

Obligatory Jeep picture:

'48 Bantam T3-C
'14 Wrangler JKU
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2014 at 5:32am
Hey Brian:

Just think of it this way...You are saving her life and putting her back together.  I think that counts more than being a purest at this point.  

Are you going to paint her to match your Jeep?  I have the same type of Jeep.  What year is yours?  Mine is a 2012 with a hard top.  I have the wheels that I want to have black powder coat but I don't know if I'll do that right now.  Will have to wait and see on that.

Good Job my friend!

Joel

1940's Bantam T3-C
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>