Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > How to information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Barn find

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redeye1620 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2020 at 10:30pm
Redeye1620 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redeye1620 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2020 at 10:35pm
No numbers anywhere on the frame.  Is there correct after market plates vin plates available. The 2 plates on the firewall match the title.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2020 at 10:53pm
  The LF frame horn has been overlaid with plate steel on the outside, where the tag should be, and on top, and has been closed or “boxed” on the inside. The gussets are still there, at least on this side, but I still think the bumper is newer. 
  Data plates and tags are available from most of the jeep parts suppliers but I think the best come from  dataplates4u.com   .
BW 

Edited by Bruce W - 16 Aug. 2020 at 10:56pm
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redeye1620 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2020 at 10:54pm
Is this the correct frame plate?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redeye1620 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2020 at 10:55pm
Thank you Bruce.
SlaterDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlaterDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2020 at 11:42pm
Definitely there!
I just received mine from him and they are perfect, the correct font and the correct harware!
Since you know the actual number from the title (I had my frame tag to go by), you are going to be legitimate and you can't beat the quality! Plus, there aren't any here in the states you can buy engraved.
Also, you may want to check the driver's side toe kick support and see what the number there is!

Edited by SlaterDoc - 16 Aug. 2020 at 11:48pm
Once a Navy man, always a Navy man!
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2020 at 7:59pm
Welcome to the page, Redeye1620!  You have a nice Jeep salad there!  Along with everything else, your seat frames are not from a 2A.  Maybe the tub isn't a 2A either.  What is the length of the rear wheel houses?  From the back edge of the tub to the front of the wheel house on a 2A is 35-5/8", on a 3A it's 32".  When you put seat frames from a 3A into a 2A, the seat backs sit pretty much straight up and down.  This can be extremely uncomfortable for some people (like me).  Others apparently don't notice. 

Also, that looks like a huge number of leaves in the front springs.  Why in the world are there overload springs too??  That Bubba....  Smile

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 22 Aug. 2020 at 8:01pm
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redeye1620 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2020 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by SlaterDoc SlaterDoc wrote:

Definitely there!
I just received mine from him and they are perfect, the correct font and the correct harware!
Since you know the actual number from the title (I had my frame tag to go by), you are going to be legitimate and you can't beat the quality! Plus, there aren't any here in the states you can buy engraved.
Also, you may want to check the driver's side toe kick support and see what the number there is!

I did scrape paint and gunk from the "toe kick" & found the body number.  Looked on the edge of the tail gate and they both match, but are different from the serial numbers.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redeye1620 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2020 at 10:41pm
Just walked down to the garage, number on the body is 40366.  Measured from rear of tub to front of rear wheel well, 37.5 ish inches. Correction, remeasured inside from tailgate to front of wheel well, 35".  The seats do have a comfortable looking rear rake.  The starter is a toe kick style.  And the fuel pump runs off the distributor shaft?  It looks to be a very daunting project.

Edited by Redeye1620 - 22 Aug. 2020 at 10:56pm
SlaterDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlaterDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2020 at 10:52pm
From what I remember from the "one's that know" on here that those numbers on the toe kick and the tailgate would be off from the "serial' number. By about 10,000 if memory serves (doubtful sometimes)!
Once a Navy man, always a Navy man!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redeye1620 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2020 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by SlaterDoc SlaterDoc wrote:

From what I remember from the "one's that know" on here that those numbers on the toe kick and the tailgate would be off from the "serial' number. By about 10,000 if memory serves (doubtful sometimes)!

Mine is off by minus 10,651.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2020 at 11:37pm
  Ol’ Un, what makes you say those are not CJ2-A seats? I can’t see enough of them to tell. Did you miss the top-bow storage brackets on the left side of the body, and the key-switch hole in the dash surrounded by three screw holes, where the keyed coil used to be? Definitely a 2A body. 
  Yes the toe-board gusset (ACM) number and the serial number are generally around 10,000 different. I guess the first ACM body was numbered 1,001. Or maybe 101. I don’t think they started with 1. There are others here who know this stuff better than I. The first CJ2-A chassis was numbered 10,001. Several factors caused the difference to vary. The tailgate number is often off from the toe-board gusset number by one or two, or a few. 
BW 

Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2020 at 1:08am
Yep, the ACM numbers started at 1 and the Serial Numbers started at CJ2A-10001 for production CJ-2A's.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2020 at 1:16am
  Thanks Joe. I've got a mid-year '47 that's in the neighborhood of 13,000 off. Sometimes FILO/LIFO, I guess.
BW

Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2020 at 1:28am
FILO/LIFO and sales of replacement bodies. Sort of like engines.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2020 at 2:12am
Bruce, you can see here that the front cross tubes of the seat frames are recessed down like a 3A frame, whereas the tubes on a 2A frame sit above the side tubes.  The front of the 2A seat cushion thereby sits up higher than the 3A type.  And yes, I did miss the other tell-tales for a 2A tub.  I wouldn't put it past Bubba to find a way to crush the 2A cross tubes down, but they look too factory from here for that.  I just now noticed, too, that the front legs of the passenger seat frame are bent badly, to make them fit the brackets on the 2A toolbox, so Bubba did modify the 3A seat frames to fit a 2A.

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 23 Aug. 2020 at 2:24am
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redeye1620 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2020 at 4:17am
Will post closer pics in the morning.  Besides seats and dash, what do you want to see?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redeye1620 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2020 at 4:19pm
As promised

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>