Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Battery Charging Issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skeeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery Charging Issue
    Posted: 16 May 2023 at 9:06am
I noticed the voltage meter was showing under 12 volts and, yes, my battery died.  The battery is new, the belt on the alternator is tight.  When running the battery/alternator shows 12.5 volts on the multimeter.

Here's the weird part:  to test the alternator, I started the jeep (47' CJ2A) and pulled the negative cable off the battery.  The jeep didn't stall out, so I guess the alternator is good.  When I did this, however, the RPMs increased and the output from the alternator jumped to 14 volts. When I put the negative cable back on, the RPMs dropped and so did the charging voltage - back down to below 12 volts.  What gives? Parasitic drain?  Where would I look?  Thanks!
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 9:13am
I would start by checking/cleaning the main grounding points in the system. 
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 10:21am
I vote for blown voltage regulator.

Pretty sure that disconnecting the battery while the engine is running isn't good for alternators, especially those with modern internal regulators.

What model alternator? Internal regulator?
How old is the alternator? Is it a reman?

Most every auto parts store can check your charging system in the parking lot or a battery or alternator on the bench and tell you which one is the problem.

Parasitic drain test is fairly simple with an ammeter or test light in series with the battery.
Why suspect parasite drain all of a sudden? Bad wiring harness?

Edited by Ron D - 16 May 2023 at 11:06am
1951 M38
1951 M100
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 11:09am
That test is okay with an old vehicle that doesn't have computers/sensors etc.  I've done it a lot back when vehicles were simpler.   It works.  Don't drive around like that!  It's just a momentary test to isolate the charge system from the battery - a "shade tree" test before you have a shop check it.

Your test would have been more thorough if you'd cut on the hi-beams and heater (if you had one) to subject it to a load - just like if you went into a garage to have them do it.  They introduce a load to see if your alternator is producing enough amps.  That load also helps identify a faulty regulator.  

However, since you witnessed an increase in rpms and your electrical system also increased to the correct 14volts, you identified a load that was creating a drain and removed/disconnected it.  I would suggest getting the battery tested.  They can fail in multiple ways. This internal resistance is one symptom.  My guess is that if your battery was actually okay, and your system wasn't charging as you've noted (<12V), then removing the cable from the post would have most likely caused the engine to die - as you've now removed the only adequate source of electricity (i.e. bad alternator/regulator).  Your test showed the opposite.

I agree with taking it in.  A parts store that offers this test can sell you a battery right then.

Edited by Rus Curtis - 16 May 2023 at 11:13am
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 11:25am
I'd put the battery on a low current charger overnight. Disconnect the charger and let battery sit for an hour. Install in vehicle and see if it cranks over OK. If that goes well, turn the Jeep off and measure battery voltage. Start the Jeep and measure battery voltage again. It should be 1 to 2 volts higher when running.

Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force
Skeeter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skeeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 12:36pm
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm going to get the battery and alternator tested to start the investigation.  

TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 3:09pm
12.5v is not correct alternator output. It should be 14.2 or so.
Have the alternator tested after going through all of the charging circuit wiring to rule out a fault.
BOULDER 48 2A
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 8:24pm
I was going to jump in and describe how cleaning the generator commutator and seating new brushes last night fixed my jeep's battery charging problem.    I feel old.   :(
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 9:59am
Originally posted by tamnalan tamnalan wrote:

I feel old.   :(

You are old. Wink  
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 10:28am
I prefer the term "experienced".
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 10:31am
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

I prefer the term "experienced".

Alan and I have almost the same birthday, so I know that he has experience AND he is old. Smile
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 11:09am
My wife tells me I look younger!    I think her eyes are old.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 11:13am
Stan and I compared birthdays one year while sharing Oilleaker's automotive themed guest house.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
 Post Reply Post Reply