Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Battery drained dead with front of jeep raised up?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Battery drained dead with front of jeep raised up?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajax25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery drained dead with front of jeep raised up?
    Posted: 09 Aug. 2022 at 12:01am
Ok I’m so confused. I just fixed my charging system a couple of weeks ago with a new alternator and gave my battery a good full charge and a trip through repair mode on my charger and it has been holding steady like it’s brand new absolutely no issues at all. Yesterday afternoon I drove the front end of my jeep up on the some ramps to raise it up so I could change the oil. Turned out I didn’t have a socket large enough to remove the drain plug. Hmm Ok I’ll grab one tomorrow and do it after work (tonight). I left the jeep on the ramp with just the front end raised. Went to start it just now and let it run to heat up the oil before changing it and it’s completely dead. I’m talking not even trying to start dead my voltage meter read 2v in the battery. Now it fired right up and was at 12.4 before I started it yesterday afternoon when I drove it up on there and now it’s completely drained? Nothing was left on, no lights, I don’t have a radio, I have absolutely nothing that should be a parasitic draw. Does this make sense to anyone? 
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2022 at 6:26am
How old is the battery?
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2022 at 8:10am
Could be battery. Could be a bad diode in the new alternator. If the drain is actually angle related then the wire harness could be shorted somewhere. Get the battery load tested after it’s fully charged. Disconnect the output wire on the alternator and see if there is continuity to ground through that stud. Hopefully it’s one of those because spark chasing the harness is a pain. 
ajax25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajax25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2022 at 9:44am
The battery is only 2 years old. It fully charged overnight, fired up this morning and ran. I guess I’ll see if it’s drained back down when I get back home from work tonight. 
 Post Reply Post Reply