Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Product Review Forum > Frame
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Battery tray

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean 1673 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery tray
    Posted: 14 Dec. 2006 at 7:14pm
Looking for the best place to buy a new battery tray.
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2006 at 8:42pm
I just got a repro one from Walck's, pretty good as repros go, very minor tweaking to get it to fit, I imagine all of them are made in the Phillipines at the same place, I just looked for the best price. The only variation I could see from the original is the rivet spacing on the support legs and the size of the rivets is minutely different, but you would have to have an original and the repro sitting side by side to know (except some of the other members of this list seem to have calibrated eyeballs, I'm still amazed at all the information that comes out of one photograph). Hope this helps
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2006 at 8:49am
I've seen pictures of a repro from Northern WI that looks great except that the front edge by the grill is not bent the same. The original has a complicated double bend to give plenty of clearance for the fender, while the repro has just a simple single 90° bend. I haven't installed a repro, but am concerned that: 1) it blatently isn't accurate, and 2) it may have clearance problems with the fender.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2006 at 5:42pm
Gale:

Have you got a photo of that tray?  What's the distance between the 2 angle brackets that keep the battery positioned?

Joe:

None of the repro photos I've seen show that end of the tray, but I've got the compound bend in mine.

Have seen 2 different repros, neither is completely accurate, and both are sized for MB battery.

Sean
Dean 1673 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean 1673 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2006 at 9:30pm
I have been looking on the net and the only picture  I have found is at vintage jeep.  The picture is not large enough to see all the details . The part number they have listed for a 2a is  647306.   I can't find this number in my parts book, is this the right one?  Thanks for the help  guys.
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2006 at 11:28pm
Here's some pictures of the new and whats left of the old, there is a difference in the drop at the front end (thanks Sean, hadn't noticed that), but it looks slight enough that some heat and a hammer will make it look exactly the same, also there are some angles riveted to the base to define the length of the battery, I figure if they pose a problem they're easily enough removed. Sean, not sure of what you want measured, let me know and I'll do that. Hope this helps

Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2006 at 10:21am
Gale:
Quote Here's some pictures of the new and whats left of the old
Thanks for the photos, they've answered my question!

Quote also there are some angles riveted to the base to define the length of the battery
That's the measurement I was referrring to.  The MB used a 10" long battery, the 2A used a 9" long.  So the forward angle bracket, and its corresponding "J" bolt hole, are 1" further rearward on the CJ tray.

The MB tray lets you use a bigger battery though!

Sean

Edited by sean - 16 Dec. 2006 at 12:04pm
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2006 at 12:03pm
Dean:
Quote I have been looking on the net and the only picture  I have found is at vintage jeep.  The picture is not large enough to see all the details.
Seems nobody has decent picures of the battery trays.  I've been looking for some time, and don't want to buy one unseen.

Quote The part number they have listed for a 2a is  647306.   I can't find this number in my parts book, is this the right one?
#647306 is listed for CJ2A after s/n 215649.  I would guess that it's the CJ3A style.  It may fit fine, I don't know about that:

Prior to that, it was part # 640188, which looked like this:

The one Gale got from Walcks is similar, with slight differences:

Sean
Howard View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2006 at 12:12pm
I believe Ron Fitzpatricks battery trays are a good reproduction...but for the MB. As Sean says it uses a different size battery however. It would be realitively easy to change if you want to use the smaller battery.
Does anyone know...  Is that  the only difference between the repro MB tray Ron has and the original CJ tray? This would be a good part to verify configuration for originality and for future replacement needs.  Mostly curious.
 I can get one from Ron and compare it to my original tray if the interest is there. Although my tray has one of the angle pieces removed to fit the larger battery.
Howard

Edited by Howard - 16 Dec. 2006 at 12:16pm
Howard F Jewett

1946 CJ2A #23353

43 GPW 106505 USA #20366014

43 Bantam Trailer T3 #14844

52 M100 K1119
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2006 at 1:05pm
Howard:

I hadn't considered Rons parts before:
  • his part costs quite a bit more
  • he doesn't have a photo posted in his parts list
BUT, w/some URL trickery, I managed to find a photo.  It's possible that the reason he doesn't post this picture is because it's no longer the same item as he's selling.  We'd have to ask him to be sure.

Now, including Rons, there are THREE different repros for MB, and still, none of them are completely correct  (even discounting the battery size difference).

First, my original battery tray:

(click to enlarge) 
  • Central support rivets are flat-head.
  • Central rivet depressions are oval
  • Bracket fastening rivets are round-head
Walcks & Krages repro (poor picture, but visible):

• All rivets are flat head
  • Central depressions are rectangular
Repro #2, from Eagle Jeep Parts

• All rivets are round-head
  • Central depressions are oval
Rons repro:

(click to enlarge) 
  • All rivets flat head
  • Central depressions oval
If I were to choose one, it would be the second, as none of the central detail would be visible w/battery installed.  And of course, all are meant to accomodate the longer battery.

Sean

Edited by sean - 16 Dec. 2006 at 8:06pm
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2006 at 3:15pm
From what I can see the most accurate is Ron's repo. I just brought my frame in to start my resto., and have an opportunity to document some stuff. This topic is a great one.
  I thing Joe's post about the curved front end is maybe different in the repo tray.

CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2006 at 8:12pm
Gary:

Your tray was getting cancer in the same places as mine, but not quite as bad.  Good shots of the double curve!

I'd agree with Rons being the best, but it comes at a steep price, 70% more than the others.  After looking closer at the second repro (finally remembered where I found it: Eagle Jeep Parts), the lip on the straight edge is too short.

I'm planning to just fix mine.

Sean
Howard View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2006 at 8:40pm
Very Cool pictures...But guys...the price is what it is...and the part has been the best match so far for a long time. If I recall Ron went to some lengths to get it so good. He has taken a few reproduction parts, like this one, past the normal levels, and at his own expense. 
Once again it depends on your needs, your pocket book and what you want on your jeep.
Sean , are the round head rivets on the other repro recessed enough to clear the bottom of the battery correctly?
I did not have to bad of one to work with on my CJ but some of the military ones have been gone completely. And Ron's sure were the best match we found. I recall that some of the other trays did not mate up to the frame as well as his. That was a few years ago however.
I did my cj's with POR 15 and left the missing bracket off. I want the bigger battery than the original size. My choice...
Great post, Dean.
Howard
Howard F Jewett

1946 CJ2A #23353

43 GPW 106505 USA #20366014

43 Bantam Trailer T3 #14844

52 M100 K1119
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2006 at 9:08pm
Howard:

Good to know that Ron's doing it right.  Budget is why I was considering the others, but I've decided against replacement altogether now.  The damage you see on my battery tray is the ONLY damage on the whole frame!  It looks to be easier to fix it in place than to replace it & modify.

Don't know about the round head rivets.  That photo is the only one available for that repro.  They could always be ground off if too tall, but then, that tray is still coming up short in accuracy.

Sean

Dean 1673 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean 1673 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2006 at 9:50am
Thanks Guy's for all of the info.  I didn't mean to cause such a stir. I'm going to try to post some pictures of the frame that I am working on ('47 2a 139069 ) the frame needs alittle help . I purchased this from Andy.  I was thinking of trying my hand a making repro tray myself, but making the indents for the rivets may prove to be more that I can do.  Thanks again for all the infro. by the way ,  forgive but , who is Ron ? 
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2006 at 1:14pm
"Ron" is Ron Fitzpatrick, who runs the G503 web site.

The G503 Forums are mostly miltary, but the knowledge there is outstanding.

He sells military parts too, G503 Parts, but many of them are the same as used on early CJ2A.

Sean
Dean 1673 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean 1673 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2006 at 7:32pm
Thanks,  Sean  ......................................Dean
 Post Reply Post Reply