Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Beartooth Mountains

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2019 at 8:33pm
I have been over the Beartooth on my bike, but never saw this trail. Wish I would have been invited. I must be too old.

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2019 at 12:24am
I backpacked in to Goose Lake and then over Grasshopper Glacier to the base of Granite Peak.  It's heavenly up there.

This looks like a great trip Lee!  Did you guys go the whole way (22 miles?)?  Camp overnight?
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
Grumpy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2019 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Originally posted by Rick Cline Rick Cline wrote:

Nice video. Watching it makes me feel like I was there! Thanks Lee

Watching it makes me wonder why wasn't  there. 
Nice video and Rick looks pretty good for not being there.

Stan,I was wondering the samething
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2019 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by tamnalan tamnalan wrote:

I backpacked in to Goose Lake and then over Grasshopper Glacier to the base of Granite Peak.  It's heavenly up there.

This looks like a great trip Lee!  Did you guys go the whole way (22 miles?)?  Camp overnight?

Alan, Goose trail was closed (?) when we were there, we did Lu Lu, sheep Mtn, and returned to Cooke City via Daisy. None of this was planned as we were there for other reasons and just stumbled upon it. A beautiful part of the world no doubt but not a place to take a group bigger than 4-5 Jeeps.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2019 at 11:24pm
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
Rich M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2019 at 12:33am
Stunning, thank you for sharing. I live vicariously through you.
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2019 at 1:42am
Great photos. Thanks for sharing.  What about that Willys wagon?   
Mike in AZ
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2019 at 2:05am
The little woman and I were there in 2011 and lived it. We spent about a week in that area. Thanks for the video. We swore we were going back within a few years. It's only been 8 years, I guess that's a few. 
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2019 at 2:14am
Originally posted by masscj2a masscj2a wrote:

It's only been 8 years, I guess that's a few. 

Geologically speaking, it was mere moments ago!  LOL
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2019 at 2:30am
Beautiful
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
binthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2019 at 11:08pm
A lot of awesome country there Duffer! But I don't see the 3B in any of those pictures!!Disapprove The only problem is, that at the end of the road you guy's hike another few miles to get all those pictures. I see you got caught buy the chopper at that one lake though. Thumbs Up
Don't know if we will get south next summer or not.
chuck
1953 CJ3B "a fistfull of dollars"
1949 willys jeepster "a few dollars more"
and a few other retirement toys

tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2019 at 2:04am
It is delicate country up there.  There's a mine at Goose Lake.  I think the weather conditions there are pretty similar to Iron Chest in Colorado.  At least the Goose Lake miners didn't have to suck for air quite as hard!
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2019 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by binthere binthere wrote:

A lot of awesome country there Duffer! But I don't see the 3B in any of those pictures!!Disapprove The only problem is, that at the end of the road you guy's hike another few miles to get all those pictures. I see you got caught buy the chopper at that one lake though. Thumbs Up
Don't know if we will get south next summer or not.

Chopper: we had just got back to Star Lake from a day hike from Snow, Green, and Little Green Lake and that chopper was dumping fish into Star.  Interesting even if it disturbed any resemblance to peace and quite.

Most of those posted trips did involve Jeep time just getting to the point of hiking/backpacking but at least one was 50 something miles with the backpack.  My first visit to the Tooth's (other than just a drive over the highway) was in 1964, the year the area became a primitive area.  That was the classic Cooke City-East Rosebud route (beaten path) but it was very, very much less beaten in those days.  For the next 40 years, I was in there for a week or more just about every summer, almost all of it off-trail backpacking.  I have many hundreds of Kodachrome slides from those trips but that stuff just doesn't digitize very well.  But maybe someday I'll take time to run them through one of the scanners.

And you WILL be seeing the 3B again in next summer's photos, least I'm dead.  New front axle/springs/steering in-place and new engine sitting complete on engine stand.  The engine is almost to pretty to run------

Sorry Lee-------------------
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2019 at 10:23pm
No worries! 😁 It’s nice to see a thread revived, and hear other memories of a beautiful place

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2019 at 11:24pm
Hey  Lee, when you go back, promise to take me with you?
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12