Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bell Crank Frame Bracket Missing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 49_Willy_CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bell Crank Frame Bracket Missing
    Posted: 27 Nov. 2006 at 10:37am
I have a 1948 Willys CJ2A titled as a 49.  The previous owner, for unknown reasons removed the Bell Crank Frame Bracket, that contains the shaft/hole, that the upper part of the bell crank mounts into.  It is a thick steel bracket.  The bell crank is mounted on the frame front cross tube and swivels on two needle bearings.  The mounting shaft is removable from the frame bracket by driving out a tapered locking pin. 

I need the mounting bracket.  Any ideas of where to locate one?  I can replace either the bracket or the whole front cross tube.

Please help!

Thanks,
Bill
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2006 at 9:03pm
Sounds like someone might have tried to use the military front end??

Post a wanted ad here and at Willys Tech.. Lots of frames are unuseable but still have the bracket you need.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2006 at 9:46pm
49 Willy CJ2A,
I have that front crossmember with the bell crank. I believe it's a late '47 so it's questionable if it's the 3/4" or the 7/8". If your interested in it, I'll  check it out, PM me and I'll give pics and ser. #
Gary
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

49_Willy_CJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 49_Willy_CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2006 at 11:04pm

I've also got 2 Ross steering boxes, but neither matches the serial #'s in my CJ2A parts book, and in looking through the G503 posts, they may be MB boxes.  

The steering boxes are T122983 and T125996.  One has a good sector shaft T124998.  Can anyone ID these part #'s for me and let me know if they will interchange with the earlier style bell crank I have which is a 3/4" 640184 and a pitman arm A1116?

As I read along, it also looks like I need to measure the length of the tie rod connector tubes as they appear slightly different in the parts books depending upon your serial # being early or late.  I guess this is my version of "night school", getting a second education.  I hear the assembly test is fun!  BTW, above is my frame with a fresh sandblast and wet POR-15.

Thanks for the help!

Bill
im_online16@hotmail.com

Edited by 49_Willy_CJ2A - 27 Nov. 2006 at 11:11pm
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2006 at 10:55am
Bill:
Quote I've also got 2 Ross steering boxes, but neither matches the serial #'s in my CJ2A parts book, and in looking through the G503 posts, they may be MB boxes.
Replied on the G too:

My '46 2A has housing casting # T122983, cover casting # T125888.

Casting numbers rarely ever match parts book numbers.

Quote As I read along, it also looks like I need to measure the length of the tie rod connector tubes as they appear slightly different in the parts books depending upon your serial # being early or late.
Tie rod tubes are different depending on which steering knuckle type:
  • early knuckle: steering arm was part of the top kingpin bearing cap
  • late knuckle: steering arm was cast integral w/ the knuckle
See the photos:  Front Axle

Sean

49_Willy_CJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 49_Willy_CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2006 at 9:26am
I have located the parts I need.  Thank you to everyone who has responded.  It's great to know there is a solid Willys community ready to help a friend in need.
Thanks,
Bill
Ruethain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruethain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2019 at 1:20pm
Bell Crank Bracket. Team, I bought a wrecked CJ2A and have bought a new frame which did not come with a Bell Crank bracket. I've cut the old bracket off of the wrecked frame but not sure of the exact placement to weld. Can someone measure the distance of the bracket from the left frame rail of me? Thanks. Ron
Ron Ruethain
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2019 at 1:25pm
7-3/4 from the end of the left end (driver side) of the cross member to the left edge of the bracket.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Ruethain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruethain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2019 at 1:31pm
Thanks Joe
Ron Ruethain
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2019 at 1:10pm
I also have a 48 CJ2A, with that same CJ3A frame. Some of the late 48 production CJ2A, were built on the stronger frame of the 3A also in production in late 1948. Best of both worlds.

"The previous owner, for unknown reasons removed the Bell Crank Frame Bracket" 

I have seen the bell crank brackets removed on several of the Jeeps I have encountered over the years, and removed one myself, on a M38 I built many years ago, when I converted the steering to a Saginaw box mounted on the frame horn. You don't have to remove the bracket for that set up, but it is no longer needed after conversion.  
 Post Reply Post Reply