Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > How to information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bellhousing Starter Bushing Removal/Install

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bellhousing Starter Bushing Removal/Install
    Posted: 18 Sep. 2018 at 9:04pm

I needed to replace my old MZ-4113 starter motor. So, I decided to order one of Pete DeBella's brand new 6 volt starters (new guts in original housings). In conjunction with the Optima 6 volt red top, this thing kicks the crap out of my old original MZ/Interstate 6 volt battery combo.

Anyway, I didn't want to regret not replacing the starter bushing. So, I purchased 2 from Jon at Border Parts and came up with a tool set up that made it pretty easy.

I removed the old bushing (the Welch Plug in back was already missing) using the 3/8" Craftsman 10mm step down socket. I was able to drive it thru the back with no problems.

I then put the two extensions together, the new bushing, and a small section of 1/2" copper pipe (as a soft drift) to tap the new bushing home. I coated the outside and inside with some Red n' Tacky grease and then made sure to flush out the face of the bushing and that was it.

FYI- I'm sure there are other methods out there, but I almost lost a bushing into the depths of the bellhousing when it nearly slipped from my greasy fingers (prompting the MacGuyverized tool). It worked for me and thought I would share in case someone had trepidations about replacing their bushing.

The new DeBella starter is a beast and looks completely original.
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2018 at 9:19pm
There are tools out there that are supposed to work. The one I bought was near a total failure but I did not pay that much for it. You got it out so anyway you did well. I have no idea where it is now.
uncamonkey
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2018 at 10:40pm
Thanks.

I did an online search and couldn’t find the tool that made the most $$ sense. Anyway, I know it’s a easy operation on a bench, but I had to devise a quick and economical method with tools I had on a fully functioning unit. As you said, it’s out and the new one is in.

The “new” starter was worth every dollar I spent, there is no comparison in how quickly it turns the motor. Just awesome, but not in everyone’s budget.
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic