Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BELLHOUSING TO DRIVESHAFT CLEARENCE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BELLHOUSING TO DRIVESHAFT CLEARENCE
    Posted: 29 Sep. 2022 at 12:36am
Hi Guys
Would one of you guys take time to measure the distance from the bottom of the bellhousing....in the starter area....to the top of the driveshaft. At stock CJ5 with a factory 225 V6 would be a perfect candidate for a measurement.
I am installing a 231 in my CJ2A and would like to obtain a accurate measurement of the driveshaft to bellhousing clearance.
Thanks, Jim

Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2022 at 1:28am
Looks to be just under two inches, note the photo is at an angle with the tape measure

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2022 at 8:10am
Jim, as you know I have a D-225 in my current 3A build with T18.
The front of engine was dropped as low as possible for hood clearance and the transmission was raised as far as practical for ground clearance. I have standard rebuilt (not re-arched) 10 leaf Mathers front and rear. No lift.
Right side of D30 axle hits axle bumper just before the propeller shaft hits the bell housing at the starter area.
1-3/4” clearance at rest. If I have any problems with prop shaft and bell hitting together I will simply add a shim to lower the axle bumper. Otherwise I want as much axle travel as I can get.

Edited by oldtime - 30 Sep. 2022 at 8:14am
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Reply Post Reply