Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bending extruded angle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bending extruded angle
    Posted: 30 Apr. 2023 at 11:32am
How without folding or cutting one side? The piece is aluminum and it needs 90 degree bend on a 4(?)” radius. The original factory piece was a nice clean bend. I ordered a replacement piece but it came straight. When queried, the factory said that’s how they ship them and the dealer is responsible for bending and fitting. The dealer has no clue or tools to make such a bend. I need to make 2 bends like the one pictured. The other corner was crushed. 

I forgot to mention, the piece is nearly 18 feet long. 

Edited by Jeff J - 30 Apr. 2023 at 11:37am
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2023 at 2:03pm
I did something similar with the rain gutters on my hard top.. I cut out a section where the curve is located on the flat side then made a corresponding 90° with the radius piece to fit into the area removed once the bend was made. I clamped it up nice and put a short strap of aluminum across the bend to hold it and had the local expert welder tig it up for me then I came back in and ground it smooth.

Hard to see but there is a 1/2 standing lip on the corner which is a 7" D

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2023 at 2:51pm
That must be pretty soft aluminum-5052?  To get a tight 4" radius without screwing up the embossed decor, I think you will have to find and solid mount a piece of 8" OD pipe and then clamp a board over the one "end" onto said pipe and draw the rest of it around the pipe.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2023 at 6:48pm
It’s not very hard aluminum. No idea as to the alloy. It is deck trim for a pontoon boat I am working on. The precut 18’ piece was $150. About $900 to ship another one if I screw this up. I would have never disassembled the boat had I known the replacement piece required this level of technical skill to install. It might just be time for an aftermarket solution but I sure hate to pull the rest of the fence to make everything match. 
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2023 at 6:52pm
BTW, that top worked out nice. Thanks for sharing. 
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2023 at 10:02am
Originally posted by duffer duffer wrote:

That must be pretty soft aluminum-5052?  To get a tight 4" radius without screwing up the embossed decor, I think you will have to find and solid mount a piece of 8" OD pipe and then clamp a board over the one "end" onto said pipe and draw the rest of it around the pipe.

I wonder if it might be possible to wrap the piece around the 3/4“ deck using this method. Clamp a board to the top of the deck to guide the short leg. Maybe space it up a bit and/or duplicate the corner so I don’t tear up the vinyl flooring while bending the trim. I was never much good at figuring set back to get the correct bend locations with good equipment. Now I am faced with having to wing it on a customer’s boat. 
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 11:51am

Thanks for the tips. I was able to get it bent with a homemade guide, scuff plate to protect the vinyl, 3 pound hammer and someone pushing the loose end around the corner. 

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 1:25pm
theres always a way.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 6:20pm
Good you found a solution, but this got me to thinking about ways to do something like this..

I use a "Ring Roller" to make brass banjo parts, and some ring rollers have mandrels with grooves cut into them for bending curves into similar, but smaller stock. I don't have that elaborate of a tool, and the ring roller I use for banjo tone rings and tension hoops is not big enough for stock any where near that wide, but they used a much larger version of the same tool for rolling iron "tires" for wagon wheels. 

So, all you have to do is find a shop still in business making wagon wheels. There is one in Pigeon Forge TN Wink
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
 Post Reply Post Reply