Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bent Wheel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bent Wheel
    Posted: 24 Aug. 2021 at 7:49pm
Learned something today that might be of use to someone else. Took a bent Willys wheel (a Wipeout Hill side flop issue) to a mechanic. Asked if he could straighten it or did I need to take it to someone else. He asked if I knew how to fix it. I didn't. He got a 14 or 16 inch crescent wrench and tightened it over the bent area and pulled back on the wrench. Did it about three times along the bent section. Looks good as new.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2021 at 8:38pm
Hmmm, I guess this is something I thought that almost every Jeeper knew. I can not count how many times I have seen this done. As long as it does not crack it is OK. I have never seen one crack.

Of course if you are worried about this repair, just buy a new wheel.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2021 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by 3A Steve 3A Steve wrote:

...(a Wipeout Hill side flop issue) .....
..... What?!
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2021 at 9:14pm
Thanks to you and Wade for winching me right side up. The bent wheel rim was the least of it. Now if straightening a bent roll bar just took a large crescent wrench, maybe "almost every other jeeper" knows how to do this as well? If so, let me know. 
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2021 at 9:22pm
Steve I’m not sure I would straighten it. When it got bent its strength got compromised. I’m thinking it would be best to find or build a new one. If you think your going to get I’m the habit of flopping you may think about a cage.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2021 at 9:34pm
I bend mine back all the time, but that’s just because they are going to get bent again anyway.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2021 at 6:57am
Could become a habit. Don't know. I am getting the "horse" put back into pre-flop condition. Think this indicates that I am not planning on doing it again. Course it could just be wishful thinking.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2021 at 8:25am
Is it the rollbar or more the wheel wells? maybe some pics?

Edited by jpet - 25 Aug. 2021 at 8:26am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2021 at 8:56am
Its the roll bar. The windshield is twisted to the driver's side as well. The rock sliders did protect the main body just like they were supposed to
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2021 at 10:06am

Can't tell too much from that angle.

If its just the bar, I think I'd replace it. If the wheel wells are bent too, I might tie the roll bar onto a tree and see if I can straighten them out some by driving forward. Then replace the rollbar. MHO

Edited by jpet - 25 Aug. 2021 at 10:08am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2021 at 10:08am
I think that roll bar did it's job and protected YOUR body. Some cross  bars might stiffen that style roll bar up some. 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2021 at 10:18am
I agree with Stan. A crossbar right behind the front seats like Grampas Jeep has would really help stiffen things up.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2021 at 10:33am
It looks to me like its more bent forward than it is side to side. If so, the cross bar would not help. The roll bar did its job, but I was there for the entire event and I'm surprised that it bent that much in such a situation(s). If it went beyond a flop, I don't think I'd want (that) roll bar. MHO.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2021 at 2:44pm
I have straightened bent rims that way over the years with good results. 

I have similar roll bars in two of my Jeeps. I don't plan to do any hard core trails, but still have to worry about possible roll overs in such a short wheel based high center of gravity vehicle.

I have been thinking about adding cross bars, with tubes going down to foot plates in the cargo bed with a tie in to the frame.

Of course a cage would be better.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2021 at 8:15pm
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2021 at 8:21pm
Don't know but my roll bar appears to be heavier. than Stan's. Doesn't have the cross member but I have looked at the plate on the wheel wells and there was very little warpage there. It just moved to the driver's side higher up. Am thinking about how to. rig a stronger bar without changing the whole "look" but am not sure how. Maybe a flat wide roll bar? Also, wonder if Stan's bar is tied to the frame in the front. Still remember my. 47 2A when it was "old enough to smoke" (21). A friend rolled it upside down with 3 of us inside on a camping trip. Windshield alone held the jeep and we all got out without injuries and went on with our trip. Maybe we all should just leave the windshields up?
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2021 at 8:25pm
Stan has a purpose built roll bar. What is the wall thickness and metal type of your roll bar Steve?
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2021 at 8:53pm
Bob, I have no idea what the wall thickness is. When I bought the jeep in Albuquerque years ago, the PO told me it was for a 2A. Has the flat panel that runs the length of the wheel well. It is clearly a wider diameter bar than Stan's which is why I posted the photo. I can measure it tomorrow and let you know. I suspect that there is a far stronger flat steel that would work better than almost any tube but it probably would need to tie in to the frame or it could rip the wheel well. Of course there is always the chance that one could bend the frame if you try hard enough. I really am not ready to go to a full cage and an appropriate harness. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>