Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bent windshield frame - help appreciated

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickey.monaghan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bent windshield frame - help appreciated
    Posted: 04 Jan. 2022 at 7:50pm
I have a 3A windshield frame on my 2A Jeep...I took the frame to a glass shop to replace the windshield...long story short, they couldn't install the glass because the corner of the frame is bent...specifically, top of the driver's side corner is dent in (looking at the jeep from the front). 

I need to flatten it enough so that the glass will go in...any suggestions are welcome. 

Dented in from this angle

Other side....

mickey.monaghan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickey.monaghan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2022 at 8:35pm
I was thinking a hydraulic press with a bottle jack might do the trick...thoughts?
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2022 at 9:45pm
Hi Mickey,
It's hard to tell without seeing or measuring the bad corner next to a good corner. How much do you think it has to move?

I could be mistaken, but thought that true expert (maybe old school) auto glass shops could sand (trim) the edges of tempered glass to overcome some misfit issues like that to get a proper fit. I have no idea how much would be too much. Perhaps if you got some clearance and they got some clearance then all might be well?

I'm no metal shaper so I have no clue on working that corner back to normal. I know enough to know I'd make it worse if I tried. No help here.

Good luck! 
1951 M38
1951 M100

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickey.monaghan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2022 at 10:05pm
It needs the move a little more than 1/2 inch. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickey.monaghan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2022 at 11:20am
Has anybody used an arbor press to straighten sheet metal? I'm wondering if that could be a useful tool for my application...
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2022 at 11:55am
I've seen videos where metal workers use hammers like magic.  There's an art to shrinking and stretching metal.  A torch may make the metal more plyable.

I would not rule out a donor replacement - even if it were a splice repair into your w/s frame.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickey.monaghan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2022 at 12:06pm
Yeah...maybe it's time to bite the bullet and order a new one from Kaiser Willys. I was hoping to save the one I've got.
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2022 at 12:23pm
Two things helped me a lot in this type of repair. The book, Key To Metal Bumping and a cheap set of body hammers.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2022 at 12:46pm
Support on the low side of the dent and carefully wack it with a hammer. But from the looks of that frame its a LONG way from having glass put in it. You need to get rid of that rust and do any body work first.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2022 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

But from the looks of that frame its a LONG way from having glass put in it. You need to get rid of that rust and do any body work first.

Unless of course, that's the 'look' he is wanting to maintain...just making a usable windshield,

Do as Mark suggests but use a sandbag (or some semi-soft substance) instead of backing it with something hard.....to straighten but not stretch the metal. should make it useable.

(can't get a real good feel for the bend from that picture)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickey.monaghan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2022 at 1:06pm
Correct...I just want it to be usable...I'm not looking to make it pretty any time soon...
Terry Fairchild View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Fairchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2022 at 7:19am
Hammer and dolly should bring that right back. That sheet metal isn’t real thick and should come back easily.
Terry Fairchild
48 CJ 2 W/ 2300 Ranger engine
53 CJ3B
55 Pickup
62 Wagon W/258 AMC engine
67 CJ5 V-6
51 Ford F1 w/ 3.0 Ford V6
69 Jeepster Commando
72 MGB
65 Cobra replica

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickey.monaghan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2022 at 10:02am
This is all great feedback! I ordered the book "Key To Metal Bumping" and I just did an online purchase of a hammer and dolly set. 

She may be (really) rough around the edges, but she's a runner! I finally got her back on the road after it sat at my Dad's for 16+ years. I learned how to drive in this Jeep. The 327 we dropped in it back in the 80s still runs GREAT.

IronAge52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronAge52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2022 at 10:34pm
If you have a Willy s you need to learn to paint,Weld,work metal. If its mine, I would start by sand blasting the frame, welding up the holes, and working the Metal.
inch by inch everything is a cinch.
Jerry San Diego
gearwrencher
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2022 at 1:51pm
That Jeep looks sweet!!!
I definitely wouldn’t mess it up with new paint!
The pin stripes are cool, is that a club sticker near the fender?
You could Try using some 2x4 scraps or any blocks of wood and a bottle Jack under the corner of the bumper with the frame laying on the ground to press the windshield frame straight.

Edited by Flatfender Ben - 10 Jan. 2022 at 1:56pm
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2022 at 2:23pm
With a 327, you should pull the car------LOL

You can flatten out the corner. Get a flat block of thick wood under the corner and work it slowly here and there until it's back in shape. An old big kingpin will sit right next to the shouldered lip at the step and hammer on it against the wood block under. You won't miss and hit the lip the rubber fits on that way. Wood will give a little where metal blocks won't. Metal to metal also flattens and stretches the thin windshield metal. That stretch creates more material and it will oil can or form a wave. To shrink, you heat the stretched area until glowing hot and dolly it a bit, then air hose it cool. You won't believe how much it moves. You will win. Wink
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
 Post Reply Post Reply