Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black Hills Run 2017! June 19-23

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 36>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 4:33pm
Tom, Thanks for the offer but we'll have company coming to watch our place while we're gone and we'd like to have time visiting with them before we go.  Raincheck for some other time?

Oily, you haven't lived until you've had jalapeno Spam roasted on the grill!  MM MMM GOOD!!  Love that Sweet Baby Ray's sauce too!  On the radios, if you have a 771 antenna, with line of sight you should be able to reach out 12-15 miles or more using a 4 watt Baofeng.  If you have a magnetic car-top antenna you should get 20+ miles.  With a stock Baofeng antenna you might get 3-4 miles.  I'll have a car-top antenna on mine while we're travelling so you may hear me before I could hear you.  If I know you're listening, I'll give a shout as I get to each hilltop just to see if we can connect.  

Kate, yes I will miss Ethan. He can crawl around under your jeep better than I can.  Better bring him.  Don't sweat the oil drops.  They may have come from the winch.  I know the seal in it leaks.  Now this horn of yours has me puzzled, but I'll bet the problem is in the switch at the center of the steering wheel.  You have new wiring so it shouldn't be chaffed and short circuiting yet unless you've been running over lots of cactus and yucca.   I swear girl, you're gonna use up half the time I have budgeted for maintenance just to keep you running!!
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 7:58pm
Mike, my purpose in life is to make you feel needed.  How am I doing?

I will bring brats and buns for everybody for dinner Sunday night.  I figure I better start paying it forward.  Do you have a head count Oilly?  If we may use your grill, that will be a quick meal for folks setting up camp.   

Is it time to leave yet?
Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 8:10pm
Lori and I will be in camp Sunday and will also have a grill available.
Glen
49 CJ3A
Rick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 8:40pm
The Belle Fourche crew plans on being there for Sunday night as well. Should be 6 of us. Is anyone up for ice cream and Lazzaroni Amaratto for desert?
RWILLYS (Space R)
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 8:41pm
You going to slum it at the Rum Ranch Glen?  Excellent!   Clap
Tom
1949 CJ3A

TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 8:43pm
Kate, I have had experience with the replacement horn button having the plastic inner part stick and keep the horn blasting. Hope yours did not overheat and burn out from being stuck too long.

I have sanded the offending part and put some lube on it.
BOULDER 48 2A
Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 10:02pm
The horn .. is fixed.  My pit crew sees me heading to the jeep muttering about "things that go around" and "prying open" things and they drop what they're doing.  It's a great system.  Thumbs Up Mike the wire was detached from the knob thingy.   Thanks to all who gave suggestions! 

Muley - I'll just believe that you'd have been there to help, not to laugh.  Right?!  LOL

Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
V8 Willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V8 Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 10:26pm
Kate, does your pit crew include the ones you had set up for Nancy, Sam Elliott etc etc.
joewhit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joewhit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 10:30pm
If you count the jeep that is totally in parts and the little pink electric jeep that several of the kids have used we then have 8 jeeps in the family. Three of them will be at the meet.
It looks like Rich R. wants to show off and run the meet on 2 cylinders!!
Kate, I have 2 radiators on the shelf which may or may not leak. If necessary I will check them out.

Joe - 46 three-on-the-tree Willys

Joe
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 11:16pm
As of 4:10 PM today, The indicated / confirmed count (which may change from day to day)

30 Jeeps
20 campers at base camp
43 heads/folks

We will own the trail no doubt.  When they say: "I've never seen so many old Jeeps together in my Life" I want you to say " you haven't been to Buna Vista Colo. have you?" Wink
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 12:36am
Tom, we are staying at Camp Oily. I finally convinced Lori we were missing to much going back to the campsite each night. Looking forward to it
Glen
49 CJ3A
Rick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 12:52am
Originally posted by Red Willy Red Willy wrote:

Tom, we are staying at Camp Oily. I finally convinced Lori we were missing to much going back to the campsite each night. Looking forward to it

My thoughts exactly. Driving back and forth to Belle everyday puts a crimp in our style. Now we will get to see the after hours side of the group.
And yes Joe I probably could run most of the trails on two cylinders but I'd have to be in low range the whole way

Rick
RWILLYS (Space R)
Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 1:08am
Originally posted by V8 Willys V8 Willys wrote:

Kate, does your pit crew include the ones you had set up for Nancy, Sam Elliott etc etc.

You betcha!  Any guy that helps me with my jeep ranks right up there with Sam and Tom Wink

Oilly, my goodness how things have grown!  I may double check numbers as we get closer so I don't come up short on brats.  Depending how you say 'brats', there should be plenty to satisfy.

Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 1:57am
Hi John,  Dan & Vicky and Ruthie & I plan to be at your house after lunch on Sunday the 18th.

"Eeyore" is ready to go, "Huckleberry" not so much.  Dan & I will get him ready soon. Not sure what we are working on but Dan said he has the parts.

Tom
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 2:36am
Kate, sometimes I just get tired.  Then I get RE-tired.  Then I eat two brats.  Nancy will too!

Red Willy, glad to hear you'll be with the "crowd" this year.  Good times after trails.

Rick R, yes we'll be up for ice cream and amaretto!

Oily, you've grown your event into a huge success!  Congrats, and God save you and Carol!!

M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2017 at 11:45am
OK, Rick R , Joe, Carol and I are going to sacrifice for you all and do more trail recon today. I've decided to spice up one run and make you all rich!!!!!!!Wink Prepare to stop and see the Broken Boot Gold Mine. You've probably seen it when we drove by it. It's just above Deadwood on Hwy. 85.  Cute little hard rock mine that gives tours and--------------you can pan gold on location !!!!!!! Gold is very heavy , so we may need overload springs to haul it back to camp. It's a real mine and not just a tourist trap. Amazing how the Gold Rush scoured and found the best hot spots in Deadwood gulch. Those early days of prospecting must have been amazing. The Homestake Gold Mine began life as the very rich lead (pronounced leed) that was the source of much of the placer gold found in the creek beds below. A lead is a vein of rich gold ore with actual visable gold usually found running with quartz. They followed this lead all the way down to 9000 feet below the surface. The temps down there reached 140 degrees. They had to pump air down and ground water out.  Back in 1963 , my family and I stopped to pan gold as tourists.  A fellow had a claim and found he could make more money letting tourists pan the actual gravel from the claim than he could mining it. I still remember the guy accross from me , panning in the wooden trough.  We all were stunned when he panned out a old silver dollar.  Very exciting. The attraction owner was just as amazed.  Cool guy, what you found was yours. Just like the old days.  So, one of you may find a 20.00 gold piece, who knows. So, in ending, bring some extra cash if you would like the tour or try your hand at panning. ! 
Rick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2017 at 12:21pm
Hi John, Keith got his lefty running late yesterday so he will be goiing too. Linda and I will be riding with Joe and Keith unless I get my old carb checked out and put back on RWILLYS. Let Jeep season begin!
RWILLYS (Space R)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2017 at 12:39pm
Thumbs Up Going to be challenging this year to keep all together. If you have a radio, bring it. If you don't have one, you should get one.  I'll be attempting to give you all turn instructions. The column will be miles long, so I think 4 spaced Jeeps will be the main radio communications guys. That way if someone doesn't hear directions, they will help with this. After a difficult traffic turn, I'll find a spot and pull over to group up, but I think we need all to do their best to keep up, and also let me know if there is a stopage. If someone breaks and is not fixable, we'll have to move on and have those ride with friends. Then come back with a haul rig unless a fellow Jeeper wants to drop out for the day and help get the rig back to camp. We are up to 32 known Jeeps. Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 36>