Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black Hills Run 2017! June 19-23

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536>
Author
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 7:55pm
Wow... just wow...  

My very first thought as I was reading down was "there but for the grace of [insert your favorite deity here] go I".  So glad that for as bad as it was, it wasn't worse... or irreversible.

Take the time to get yourself right... the rest'll keep 'til you get back to it.

MB

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 8:06pm
Some random shots..

Edited by RICKG - 27 June 2017 at 8:15pm
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 8:15pm
TTightsteer Alley was a blast..

Edited by RICKG - 27 June 2017 at 8:23pm
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 9:05pm
Tightsteer Alley is "Muely Approved!    And Lee says:  "why the short bus no come?".
Tom
1949 CJ3A

binthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 10:56pm
So sorry to read about your misfortune Stan. I have been following your post's since you came aboard, and can tell that you are a real enthusiast. By the look of everything, it looks like it will be some time before you can get back in the saddle!  You must have learned something hanging around Oileaker though, like having a spare or two comes in handy when "Old Murphy" steps on you! He almost convinced me to get another jeep so I could still go jeeping while having the other one's engine rebuilt! 
  I wish you a speedy recovery and hope that the running gear on Grampas jeep is all good.Thumbs Up
chuck
1953 CJ3B "a fistfull of dollars"
1949 willys jeepster "a few dollars more"
and a few other retirement toys

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 3:00am
Stan , have been out of town so am just now catching up on Page time.

So sorry to hear of this accident but it's great that YOU made it through. As others have said the Jeep can be replaced.....maybe not exactly like you would want it but usable.

All that in due time.....glad you're OK.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 3:48am
I can think of a spare Jeep or two at Mike's if you're coming to the Fall Color Tour to get back in the saddle.
gmcjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmcjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 4:16am
Originally posted by aboyandhisdog aboyandhisdog wrote:

And Lee says:  "why the short bus no come?".

Dont worry! Lee is used to waiting for the short bus. Big smileBig smile
Gary

51 CJ-3A
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 6:43am
Wow Stan. Just read this. Glad you are okay.

a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 6:28pm
Wow I live in the wrong part of the country, the pics of the event are beautiful. Just where my Willys wants to be. Wishing a speedy recovery to Stan and Grandpa's Jeep
Phil
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2017 at 12:57am
After pondering thoughts for a few days, a Great BIG thank you goes out to Carol & John, the work/time and effort, as well as expense that goes with an event like this is Very much appreciated! You open your home and shop to a large group of like minded folks, keep us well fed with cookies and other goodies, and ask for nothing in return, God has truly blessed us with friends like you!, as Jpet said it's amazing where an Internet forum and a little truck has taken us, I could not agree more. The trails were "Out Of This World" and very challenging at times, and allowed us to travel through some of the most beautiful country to be seen from a Jeep!. We traveled a little over 500 miles in our little trucks throughout the week, the longest day was 80 miles, the shortest 50 miles. Also many thanks to Bob Brown and Rick-R, you two as well make this event possible!. After a week long event like this, or the Fall Colors Tour, the hardest part is saying good by to such a great bunch of friends, some old and a few new, thank you all for a very special week!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
gmcjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gmcjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2017 at 2:54am
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

After pondering thoughts for a few days, a Great BIG thank you goes out to Carol & John, the work/time and effort, as well as expense that goes with an event like this is Very much appreciated! You open your home and shop to a large group of like minded folks, keep us well fed with cookies and other goodies, and ask for nothing in return, God has truly blessed us with friends like you!, as Jpet said it's amazing where an Internet forum and a little truck has taken us, I could not agree more. The trails were "Out Of This World" and very challenging at times, and allowed us to travel through some of the most beautiful country to be seen from a Jeep!. We traveled a little over 500 miles in our little trucks throughout the week, the longest day was 80 miles, the shortest 50 miles. Also many thanks to Bob Brown and Rick-R, you two as well make this event possible!. After a week long event like this, or the Fall Colors Tour, the hardest part is saying good by to such a great bunch of friends, some old and a few new, thank you all for a very special week!

Lee

Very well said, Lee!
Gary

51 CJ-3A
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2017 at 4:57am
Finally felt like sitting at the PC for a few minutes and uploaded this video of going through Tightsteer Alley.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
V8 Willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V8 Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2017 at 4:57am
Agree with what Lee said, i would also like to include Kate for bringing the brats for everyone and the other ladies for all the other desserts, salads, etc. and the ones that did the cooking for our first night together. My week with friends and new ones at FTC and now the BHR was a great time for my son and I. Thanks everyone for the memories.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2017 at 11:53pm
Jpet already posted a cool video of Grampa's Jeep and Bam Bam's little side adventure on Camp 5 Road. I had some video from my GoPro of that same adventure. So I tried to combine it with Jeff's video to give you a driver'seye view and a watcher's eye view of the same obstacles. Apologies to Jeff and Ban Bam for mostly cutting them out of this and thanks to them as well for the watcher's viewpoint.

Camp 5 road crosses a creek bed multiple times. We just picked one of the first crossings and gave it a go. It was "max fun" as Steven Rudy (Stude-a-Willys) would say, but also lots of work.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2017 at 2:54am
"I don't like that very much" must now be the official title of that one obstacle.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2017 at 3:51am
Yep, I've been on trails like that. both of my friends had Jeeps with Elockers and they felt the need to head up the road. I chose to sit and have a sandwitch and a beer. The road was closed at the other end anyway so why fight it both ways? I could have done it but I like my old 3B the way it is and I don't need to drag off my PTO box. They were back within 10 minutes anyway. They decided that it wasn't a road to go up after all. Sometimes I can look at a trail and know when to say no.
uncamonkey
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2017 at 10:10pm
For those of you on the BHR that requested a report on what happened to my rear end on day 4, here is the skinny.  I have the housing on the ground, but have not pulled the ring and pinion as yet.  The rear pinion bearing is totally disintegrated and the pinion nut is loose probably due to the missing bearing.  Now here is where I need opinions from the experts as to a possible cause.  The housing is a Dana 44, with a Yukon Locker and full floaters, grease level was normal, it was set up by a pro, and has maybe 1000 miles on it  I cannot figure out why just one bearing went and not both.  Any thoughts?

Can a bearing go bad that quickly?
Is it a pre load issue?
?????

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536>