Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black Hills Run June 18-22, 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 33>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmcjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by Rick Cline Rick Cline wrote:

Grumpy, you can be their interpreter. Us Yanks have a hard time understanding that Texas language.

No need for an interpreter...... We Texans are pretty adept at universal sign language!LOLLOL

Edited by gmcjr - 12 Jan. 2018 at 12:17am
Gary

51 CJ-3A
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2018 at 1:02pm
This is going to be a record setting year for Jeep camping in Flatties. We are at 31 Jeeps now. I feel happy knowing my friends enjoy the BHR. I never would have thought this remote camp so popular, but we can easily do this where camp is. Lots of trails and I have lots of help from the "A" team. Thanks guys and gals! We may end up with two camp locations and hopefully in radio contact range. Wednesday when we head to Hill City for lunch and a train ride, I will try and get some city maps. It's a very small town and easily driven. There is no way I will be able to maintain group control, so basically you will be on your own to find lunch and if possible , we can arrive in the train concession parking lot at a scheduled time for the ride. Do you think we could pull the locomotive with all Jeeps chained in front???????? Wacko  

It's possible we will split into two camps. If radio contact is possible, we'll do that. so, if you don't have a radio, I'd get one. They will help you know what's going on. 

Carol got warned last night that she will need more diet cookies for lunch on the trail. Big smile

I also feel relieved as a trail boss. No cities to drive through. Just Wednesday. That makes it so much easier. The trails are all well numbered. With your FS maps you get with your required off road sticker, you will know where you are. 

The main road is dusty, bring your bandannas. The trails are slow and not as bad. 

Ok, get your Jeep issues solved, and put your camping kit together. Remember no camp fires, just propane and coleman stoves. We should have excellent solar since camp is in the open. No room in the trees for this big a bunch, sorry about that.  Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2018 at 1:33pm
Look what came in the mail yesterday!

I sprang for the extra $5 to get the annual pass. Never know when you may need more off road time.

49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2018 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by tumbleweed tumbleweed wrote:

I sprang for the extra $5 to get the annual pass. Never know when you may need more off road time.

Mine did too!  And the blue will look good on the Blue Mule's hood.  Better than that nasty yellow of last year's permit. Wink  Who would want yellow anyway?? Ouch
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2018 at 2:12pm
Michael, the black eye is appropriate and necessary. Just for that, I may have to ride in front of you all week. Keep up if you can!
Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2018 at 2:22pm
uh-oh.......

She used his whole name! I know what that means...!Big smile
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
binthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2018 at 4:41pm
You guy's should all enjoy the train ride. When Lynne and I were down there in "16", we did the train ride and really enjoyed it. The engine was built for logging in Washington State where there was no coal, so they built an engine that burns used oil! I asked the conductor because it didn't look like steam to me.
  And for sure, try to get in line early and get on the open car!!  Have fun guy's sorry we can't make it!  Thumbs Up
chuck
1953 CJ3B "a fistfull of dollars"
1949 willys jeepster "a few dollars more"
and a few other retirement toys

Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2018 at 9:51pm
Can someone post the best brand, frequencies, and type of radio and antenna to acquire? Doesn't look like my Cobra 29 will talk with anybody.
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2018 at 10:03pm
Big John, Baofeng  1, 4, 8 watt radio. Nagoui longer antenna, and very critical, the Btech speaker mike. When I get home or if someone beats me, I'll post the model numbers. That speaker Mike is the clear winner for the Baefeng radio. I tested 4 different mikes. The worst and I'll add worthless Mike is Baofeng's own mike. I love the radios. M38mike is the expert on these. Oilly
Grumpy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2018 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by m38mike m38mike wrote:

[QUOTE=tumbleweed] Look what came in the mail yesterday!

Mine did too!  And the blue will look good on the Blue Mule's hood.  Better than that nasty yellow of last year's permit. Wink  Who would want yellow anyway?? Ouch
[/QUOTE
. I gotta get me one of those before they're all gone. That yellow was hideous it didn't show up very well, I would get rid of it if I could find it.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2018 at 12:26am
Originally posted by m38mike m38mike wrote:

Originally posted by tumbleweed tumbleweed wrote:

Mike!, it's your lucky year, as the 2018 BHR official event sticker will be "Blue Mule Blue" this year!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2018 at 12:39am
Originally posted by Fltfndr Fltfndr wrote:

Can someone post the best brand, frequencies, and type of radio and antenna to acquire? Doesn't look like my Cobra 29 will talk with anybody.

Baofeng UV-5RTP  Radio

BTECH QHM22 speaker mike

Nagoya NA 771 anrenna

The antenna receives better, and the TP stands for triple power setting. Red Willy found the mike. He loaned it to me to try and test. It's awesome. 

The catch is you have to program the radio for the frequencies you want to use. you should not use any repeater channels unless you are a Hamm or licensed and 8 watts is a no no , but gets you out better if in a canyon etc. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2018 at 12:51am
Wrongway and his son are reconning the possible camp soon. We are hard at it. This record meet will go down in history just like Custer's 1874 camp. Maybe they will take plaster casts of out NDT's??????Wink
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2018 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

Mike!, it's your lucky year, as the 2018 BHR official event sticker will be "Blue Mule Blue" this year!

Lee

I can't believe my good fortune!! Shocked  Not only does my BHR trail pass come in blue, but my official BHR event sticker comes in blue also?!!  Clap  Wow!!  And not only that but I get to follow my seeeeester in her bright yellow Jeep so there simply will be NO WAY I could possibly get lost! Cool  I better go buy some lottery tickets today before my good luck runs out!  Party
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2018 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

Baofeng UV-5RTP  Radio

BTECH QHM22 speaker mike

Nagoya NA 771 anrenna

The antenna receives better, and the TP stands for triple power setting. Red Willy found the mike. He loaned it to me to try and test. It's awesome. 

The catch is you have to program the radio for the frequencies you want to use. you should not use any repeater channels unless you are a Hamm or licensed and 8 watts is a no no , but gets you out better if in a canyon etc. 

The radio UV-5RTP is about $36, the mike is about $23, and the antenna is about $17.  Amazon is a good source for all 3. 

When you go to buy your antenna, beware of the fake nagoya antennas.  They have poor quality control and after using one for an extended period you can destroy the circuitry in your radio.  Get only authentic Nagoya antennas.  Here is the Nagoya web site to help you determine if yours is a fake or the real deal.  If you have a fake, REPLACE IT before you use the radio again, PLEASE!!

Other tips for checking counterfit antennas:

Counterfeit Tip #1: A silver package QC label means the antennas are fakes.

Counterfeit Tip #2: Blue Ink antenna labels, Yellow Bags, and Orange Bags are signs of counterfeit antennas.

A genuine Nagoya ships in green bags with silver antenna lettering and they do not have an EVO label applied.

If you don't want to use a 15 inch antenna, you can also use the Nagoya 701 antenna with good results.  In fact, in the FRS/GMRS UHF frequencies that we always use (462.6125), the 701 beats the 771 in antenna testing.  Google it.  The 701 is an 8 inch antenna so you don't have quite as much antenna whipping around.  $15 on Amazon. 

I've been using Baofeng radios for several years, and I did have a fake Nagoya antenna on one of them.  I had a HAM radio friend test the radio it was on and it is damaged.  Make sure you get the real deal.  A junk antenna will rob your radio of any good performance it could have had.  I am replacing my 771 antennas with genuine Nagoya 701 antennas as my allowance allows.

One other detail I forgot to mention, be sure the antenna you buy has the SMA-Female, or SMA-F connector on it.  Otherwise it will not mate with your Baofeng radio.  

Edited by m38mike - 14 Jan. 2018 at 4:46pm
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2018 at 2:16pm
Well that bites! I have 3 radios with 3 fake antennas. time to shop. Confused

I watched the google videos on these fakes etc.  I'm glad my radios still work well, and to know this. If you are patient, I found a place in China, 8.50 each for the 701's, free shipping, correct silver font label with the funky stuff inside the letters, green pack with rounded corners, and the extra washer with the white paper. 99.6 positive feedback. I have 3 on the way. 

That said, I am running a special on NA 771 antennas!!!!!!!!Clown

Edited by Oilleaker1 - 13 Jan. 2018 at 3:02pm
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2018 at 6:31am
Is there a US dealer distributor that sells the original  (not counterfeit ) equipment ?  Also what frequencies do you run and can I program them myself?  My radio skills are push to talk.  Do the 8 watt units require a license , or are we so remote we don't need to worry about being legal
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
gmcjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gmcjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2018 at 11:52am

Is there a US dealer distributor that sells the original  (not counterfeit ) equipment ?  Also what frequencies do you run and can I program them myself?  My radio skills are push to talk.  Do the 8 watt units require a license , or are we so remote we don't need to worry about being legal

My humble opinion, maybe Mike or someone else will add to or correct me if I'm wrong.

The best answer, is go to Amazon and buy from Btech. If I understand it right, BTech is the US distributor for Baofeng in a loose sense.  Get the programming cable, the CHIRP software is a free download and easier than the clunky Baofeng menus. I have the UV-5r, the UV-50x2 in the pick up and the uv-25x2 in the jeep, use them all and chirp software with no issues, some other ham radio ops on local repeaters complain to high hell about them but I can't find any major issues. Sure, they're not a 300 dollar icom, and not nearly as refined.....but I can afford these.

For our trail use, program only GMRS/FRS frequencies. 

As to the license question... Kinda complicated....
First of all the Baofengs are what the FCC calls a part 97 radio, licensed amateur use only, but have a wide enough frequency range to work in the GMRS channels.
GMRS falls under Part 95. The part 95 rules have changed recently and I don't know the new particulars.  
It was that you could use the FRS channels at 0.5 watts without a license, and GMRS up to 2 watts with a GMRS license, in addition the radio had to have a fixed in place antenna. Some FRS and GMRS frequencies overlapped, so every 30 dollar handy talkie Walmart sold fell into the part 95 licensed category. In a nutshell......Nobody really cared, ( I'm not advocating illegal use) but.... as long as we are not causing harmful interference with anybody, IMHO, the FCC has bigger problems to worry about than us being a little over wattage.
FWIW, GMRS license is a 70 dollar flat fee and no test, good for ten years. 

To add, the only major complaints I've seen about the Baofengs is when somebody buys one and starts using them on the factory programmed frequencies.... So they are transmitting who knows what on whatever.... 

Edited by gmcjr - 15 Jan. 2018 at 12:40pm
Gary

51 CJ-3A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 33>