Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers > Tech - FAQ
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Block Heater for Willys

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Block Heater for Willys
    Posted: 30 Oct. 2018 at 1:59pm
I drive my MB (I know not a CJ2A) everyday and cold starts are always an exciting adventure of cranking. I am wondering if anyone has found a good block heater for Willys Jeeps.
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2018 at 2:18pm
I have one of these.  I use it mostly on my old cub cadet I have set up for plowing snow.  But it works well and gets plenty hot.  I just stick it on the side of the block  and throw an old blanket over the engine to hold the warmth in.  

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
51mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 51mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2022 at 5:46pm
Mine has a heater installed in the lower radiator hose.  Inexpensive and simple installation.  Works beautifully and is almost unseen.  Plug it in for an hour and engine starts instantly.  There are two other types that involve more effort. One type replaces a freeze plug and IMO it is probably the most efficient. It heats the engine quickly.   The other is a tank type heater which requires a heater hose connection and tap into the lower block.  Kind of ugly.  All work fine, so it is really a matter of personal preference.

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2022 at 8:28pm
Mike,

Did you realize this discussion is four years old? Doesn't matter your information may help someone.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2022 at 7:52pm
What I find works best is the block heater that either goes into a freeze plug or the kind that goes into the radiator hose. Although the heater hose ones work fine as well. In really cold climes, a battery heater is a big plus.

One thing that helps a lot is a starter in good condition. Good heavy duty batteries help as well.

One area that often gets overlooked is the battery cables. If they are corroded or too small, it can cause problems. For any six volt rig I own, I install size OO battery cables. I some times have to have them made at my local welding shop. I replace all three cables the two from the battery, one to the frame for ground and one to the foot starter switch. Then there is the one from the foot starter switch to the starter. I also run another ground from the frame to the engine block, but I am paranoid that way.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
 Post Reply Post Reply